Firmware 2.0.0 Next Week!

Octoate posted on Apr 29 2006 at 08:50 AM said:
Magellan posted on Apr 29 2006 at 07:25 AM said:
I tried 7 different SD cards to no avail. This is crazy!
Same here... 5 different SD cards (alll are mentioned in the Wiki as working).

Have you two *freshly* formatted those cards? I find even my working ones won't recognise unless they've only just been re-formatted as Fat32, even if they were already. It's bizarre, I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Vimacs, maybe now I wont have a problem watching episodes of Air Gear. for some reason it plays sound but no video.

Also arnt all GP2X SD cards supposed to be formated as fat32?

Tobriand posted on Apr 29 2006 at 12:37 PM said:
Octoate posted on Apr 29 2006 at 08:50 AM said:
Same here... 5 different SD cards (alll are mentioned in the Wiki as working).
Have you two *freshly* formatted those cards? I find even my working ones won't recognise unless they've only just been re-formatted as Fat32, even if they were already. It's bizarre, I know.
I did everything! I reformatted them under Windows and I also repartitioned (type 0b) and reformatted them under Linux - still nothing and this is very frustrating :(.

Phil posted on Apr 29 2006 at 10:17 PM said:
Hey is there anyway to change the start sound without reflashing?

Use Sterm and Windows Terminal, and connect to machine, search for all .wavs to get the location and drop in a new file of same name...

cd /
find . -name "gp2xsound.wav*"

Its probably not in the nand, might be in /usr/gp2x

(not checked just guessing here)

Considering how fast the sound is played over power-on, I'd be very suprised if it's in a mounted file system. I'd expect it to be at a dedicated location on the nand, which is written when you place the file on your sd card and then hold START+SELECT after power-on to update it.

Squidge posted on Apr 29 2006 at 06:37 PM said:
Considering how fast the sound is played over power-on, I'd be very suprised if it's in a mounted file system. I'd expect it to be at a dedicated location on the nand, which is written when you place the file on your sd card and then hold START+SELECT after power-on to update it.
I looked for it, its not in /usr/gp2x where everything else is. Ya, plus, my nand is almost never mounted before hand, so its guarenteed to be in a dedicated place.

gp2xsound.wav isn't on the visible NAND. You can reflash it by having it on your SD and using the normal reflash method.

So should it be aright to save to nand now? Seeing as it's partitioned so if a block does wear out on the writable partition it shouldnt damage any blocks on the system partition?

chris_r posted on Apr 29 2006 at 09:36 PM said:
So should it be aright to save to nand now? Seeing as it's partitioned so if a block does wear out on the writable partition it shouldnt damage any blocks on the system partition?

Why would you want to write to the nand anyway, its what 40mb left? There really is no point in even putting anything on there.

I encourage you to prove me wrong though.

reallynotnick posted on Apr 29 2006 at 08:18 PM said:
chris_r posted on Apr 29 2006 at 09:36 PM said:

Why would you want to write to the nand anyway, its what 40mb left? There really is no point in even putting anything on there.

I encourage you to prove me wrong though.

:D :D
Great fun in under 40MB:

the original Descent Demo 15MB, hours of fun. ( I realize that has nothing to do with the GP2X, yet. . . it IS open source after all.)

DRMD and a few of your favorite roms, play till your batteries die and your eyes bleed.

Running without the SD card in is bound to generate less heat and require less energy.

I am not saying it isn't a small space, but considering this scene is very into emulating consoles and systems that sport capacities in kilobytes and megabytes of storage, 40MB isn't that far off base to store a lot of older stuff. :p :)

Edit: silly me, I forgot all the fun you can have playing BubblesX, damned addicting that.

And don't forget all the GBC games that can fit in that space, if someone was to release a firmware for the GBC or GBA that "found" or released 40mb for odds and ends I think we wouldn't be so quick to decry the space.

A good use would be to put eBook readers, mediaplayers, and emulators or often used apps on the NAND, that way you can have several (maybe even small, 64mb and up) cards with media, roms, books, vid clips, that don't need their own program onboard.

Darnit, Edit 2:

I forgot that the move might be to larger NAND as the supplies of 64mb chips become scarcer and larger (up to 512MB) chips are the same cost to GPH when assembling the boards. That NAND space seems bigger now. Also, how about putting a whole nother OS on the second partition, useful for testing out beta OS's

Well, since I got my new unit, I am waiting for my SD card to come in the mail. All I have is the NAND to play off of. I have Vektor, Tilematch, and Noiz2sa, as well as the LCD CPU Clock chaning thing and the fire tech demo. With much room left. Oh, I also have that GTA-type game thats coming commerical's demo on there too.

i need help.i 'm upgrading this frimware over the 2.o.all the procedure went finr..until "formatting".is stuck on formatting like 4 or 5 minutes!!!what can i do?

Solstar posted on Apr 30 2006 at 12:10 PM said:
i need help.i 'm upgrading this frimware over the 2.o.all the procedure went finr..until "formatting".is stuck on formatting like 4 or 5 minutes!!!what can i do?
Whoa! Calm down. You just said yout upgradign firmware 2 over firmware 2.... Also your past the worst bit. Even if it fails now its fine. Its the U Boot at the beginning that is Bad. Right basically you just need to wait. It took quite a long time for me.

Back