Finally Back!

Squirrel61

Website
www.psp-flevoland.nl
It's good to see gp32x.de is back online! But what was the cause of more than a week of disappearance and is there a way we (users) can help to prevent this happening again?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes there is. Don't all order your pandoras at once. ;)

Edit: Good to see the forums back :D

Squirrel61 said:
It's good to see gp32x.de is back online! But what was the cause of more than a week of disappearance and is there a way we (users) can help to prevent this happening again?
The site fell fowl of a Distributed Denial of service attack (DDOS), and there's nothing we could have done about it :(.

I'm glad it's back up though.

P.S. Moved to off topic.

Nice!
Was having problems reaching the forum weeks before the break down. Hopefully it stays as fast as it is now.

Thanks, sorry to post in the wrong section.

It's really sick that people DDOS a site like this. I mean, DDOS'ing is always sick but what do they gain by DDOS'ing a site that is for a small public only. Let's be honest, how many GPH users are around worldwide when compared to the DS or PSP? How many visitors does this site have when compared to a random DS or PSP site?

It does make me wonder who would stand to gain from it. Did they make any contact with the host, any demands?

atomicthumbs said:
Conspiracy theory time! GPH did it!
GPH and quasist approached chad78 with an offer, he gets a free macbook if he takes down Gp32X, so, using his totally radical techno-HAXXER skills, he immediately took down Gp32x, without even using a botnet.

all praise be to chad.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Squirrel61 said:
The site fell fowl of a Distributed Denial of service attack (DDOS), and there's nothing we could have done about it :(.

I'm glad it's back up though.

P.S. Moved to off topic.

Forgive my naivety but isn't a week (or approximately that) and extremely long time for a DDoS to continue?

atomicthumbs said:
I expect they are too busy with the Wiz preparations to pay any attention to the Pandora pre-order launch?

Peter R said:
Forgive my naivety but isn't a week (or approximately that) and extremely long time for a DDoS to continue?
Don't shoot the messenger, I just reported back the info I was given :blink:

WarmFluffyUK said:
Peter R said:

Sorry, I am more clueless than you. I just read a post on the now official Pandora forums that this seemed rather long for a DDoS. My theory is that there was no DDoS but just a rather large amount of traffic :p.

Peter R said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
Peter R said:

Sorry, I am more clueless than you. I just read a post on the now official Pandora forums that this seemed rather long for a DDoS. My theory is that there was no DDoS but just a rather large amount of traffic :p.

I actually wonder if it started as a DDoS attack and then his ISP blocked a bunch of subnets (Which is what we were told) and they couldn't sort it all out. We could speculate about this all night but who cares as a solution was found, the forum's back up and were all happy bunnies :)

I am sort of hoping Hando takes Craig up on his offer or at least finds a better host. The OpenPandora page loads are much more snappy than GP32x has been for over a year :S. With a greater user base comes a greater demand for server side processing and it seems GP32x may be in need of a little more power under the bonnet in terms of that respect.

PoisonedV said:
atomicthumbs said:
GPH and quasist approached chad78 with an offer, he gets a free macbook if he takes down Gp32X, so, using his totally radical techno-HAXXER skills, he immediately took down Gp32x, without even using a botnet.

all praise be to chad.

It could be craigix itself. To cover his actions of stealing credit cards accounts of preorderers.

Back