Fgb32

BaDToaD

"Very" Old Timer
Website
cwhippogames.wixsite.com
I've been getting heavily into Rlyehs FGB32 Fday preview emulator and have been trying some of the GBC games that the older emus used to struggle with. Rayman and Shantae for instance.

The trouble is the GBC was a system I never owned so I don't know what's good and what isn't and I either have to plow throw online reviews or guess so that brings me to the point of this post.

What GBC games can you recommend. I am into most game types from Puzzle and arcade to strategy and RPGs.

PS If there's a topic about this already then I couldn't find it and as a regular I can honestly say I don't remember seeing one recently.

I don`t know much GBC games, and there also aren`t that much good ones, I think.

The only GBC game I can highly recommend is Zelda DX - Links Awakening.
Shantae is pretty good, too, I think, but it runs damn slow on the emu.

Don`t know of other good games...

The Zelda Oracle Series is nice.
Also good RPGs are the Final Fantasy Series (Adventure, Legend 1, 2 and 2) and God's [ spam word ].

Don't know about more games, as I only play RPGs ;)

The Grand theft auto and Driver games are good but the GBA versions are better if you own a gba/linker

Thats if you like those type of games, I'm more of an action junkie!

I love Frogger on the GBC thats a fun game...

Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, the B&W Donkey Kong Land games, and Donkey Kong Country (the colour one) are the GB games I like most.

I can't seem to get fGB working though - the old one worked, but the fDay preview version jsut gives me a black screen when I try to launch any games. The new menus, the ROM scan, etc all seem to work fine, but I can't get it to work even after removing the GPMM\GB directory and starting again. I'm trying zipped and unzipped ROMs. Any ideas? I'm kind of hoping I've done something stupid.

One of the best things about emulation is to go through a list of games for that system, what i tend to do is to go to www.vgmuseum.com (NO roms there before anyone asks), its just screengrabs of 1000's of games for different systems.

What i tend to do is to say go to gameboy colour, click on a game and if i like the look of the screenshot i then 'find' that game on the net ;-)

BUT after using it i would run ad-aware or something as a ton of popup windows appear and some other gunk.

BUT the sites great for seeing what games look like, ones you havent heard of etc.

@ Barnsey. I can't say I've had any problems. I did start a fresh 16mb card though (a quid each, best bargain ever) Have you tried reformatting the card?

The game and watch galleries are very nice for just picking up and playing.

BaDToaD : where did you buy them?

There is a lot of quality titles on the GB; it basically depends on taste.
Quite a few of the older titles are relatively short, but are well done.

The biggest thing for me with the GBC was non-blurry scrolling for the GB games, this won't happen on the GP32 anyway...

Deleted User posted on Aug 9 2005 at 11:42 AM said:
The game and watch galleries are very nice for just picking up and playing.

BaDToaD : where did you buy them?

I bought them a few months ago at 7dayshop.com I think. But I believe myself and the other members of this board cleared them out of stock in a matter of days so I doubt they will have any left.

Last edited by a moderator:
psj3809 posted on Aug 9 2005 at 12:31 PM said:
What i tend to do is to say go to gameboy colour, click on a game and if i like the look of the screenshot i then 'find' that game on the net ;-)

Same here :). Sometimes finding a game is almost as fun as playing it (well almost).

:D

Bronze posted on Aug 9 2005 at 01:34 PM said:
The Pokemon RPGs are really good too.

Ignore the fact they are marketed for young children, they are actually very good games :)

I don't like the Pokemon games, too many random battles and too much leveling. As soon as you've got more than 6 Pokemon it gets tedious. :-/

However... I love Pokemon Pinball, it's a very nice pinball game, done in cooperation with HAL (Kirby-games, Kirby's Pinball). It's really nice, I even bought it new for my 16 year old GB-mono for only 5€ (new!).
The cartridge has a built-in rumble pack. :-D

BaDToaD posted on Aug 9 2005 at 11:34 AM said:
@ Barnsey. I can't say I've had any problems. I did start a fresh 16mb card though (a quid each, best bargain ever) Have you tried reformatting the card?
Thanks for the suggestion, but it seems to have made no difference, nor did trying a different card. And I've just found that fCol32 has the same problem too. How odd.

@ Barnsey. An Fday bug? maybe worth mentioning to Rlyeh. What model GP have you got. Mine is an original BLU and seems to have no problems with anything.

@ Gruntfuggly. I have that on my SMC along with Gator Pinball which is just about the best GB pinball I've ever played. Those and Zelda Links awakening are the only mono GB carts I have on my SMC.

BaDToaD posted on Aug 9 2005 at 09:22 AM said:
@ Gruntfuggly. I have that on my SMC along with Gator Pinball which is just about the best GB pinball I've ever played. Those and Zelda Links awakening are the only mono GB carts I have on my SMC.
Get Link's Awakening DX. It's VERY nice color.

Mario 2: Six Golden Coins is a sweet game. I wrote reviews for Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and Motocross Maniacs for the GB, so you can check those out. Mr Driller's really good. Super Mario Brothers Deluxe... Dragon Warrior Monsters is pretty good... Metroid 2.. Kirby's Dreamland 1 and 2... Tetris... Tomb Raiders.. Perfect Dark... Pokemon Puzzle Challenge.. Pokemon Trading Card Game :)P shut up)... Conker's Pocket Tales....

Oy, I know there are more, but I have my original GB carts stuffed away. Maybe I'll list more of those later. Anyway, that should hold you over till then. :p

BaDToaD posted on Aug 9 2005 at 01:22 PM said:
@ Barnsey. An Fday bug? maybe worth mentioning to Rlyeh. What model GP have you got. Mine is an original BLU and seems to have no problems with anything.
It's a 166Mhz FLU. I think you're right about it possibly being an fday bug, but I don't see why nobody else seems to have had the problem. I'll email rlyeh about it later.

barnesy posted on Aug 9 2005 at 09:35 AM said:
BaDToaD posted on Aug 9 2005 at 01:22 PM said:
It's a 166Mhz FLU. I think you're right about it possibly being an fday bug, but I don't see why nobody else seems to have had the problem. I'll email rlyeh about it later.
So you removed the old fGB save and config files and stuff from the card before loading up the new one?

Back