Fcc, Ce And Delivery Dates

TaG said:
Does this change the roadmap or the 'less than two months' you mentioned yesterday?
Not as far as I've been told.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't take long to get CE approval. Not sure about FCC though, have no experience with that. CE approval can be completed in 3 weeks or less.

The actual CE testing can be done in a day, at least for a device that intentionally includes a simple radio transmitter.

That sticker could be placed inside underneath the battery slot like on other devices, I suppose.

tsh said:
The actual CE testing can be done in a day, at least for a device that intentionally includes a simple radio transmitter.
Yeah, but it does take time to compile technical files, BOMs etc. I don't know if this has been done along the way with designs that are frozen or the guys are just going to throw it all together once they have all the hardware sorted.
I think you can do self certification for CE stuff too but not sure how that works. It won't be a show stopper anyway in case people kick off about delays again!

It depends on the lab and if the device passes first round. The time is in a failure, if there is one. The balance of time if collecting all the information as stated above. Some labs are real slow.

You can do CE and FCC self cert on some devices in some situations. But your better off with a lab to back up results.

But no matter what you want the certs before you head to production incase you gotta make changes.

Squidge said:
Considering Pandora "home" is the UK, it'll probably have a CE mark. Other country marks are typically left to the importers.

Gruso said:
Some discussion here (no definitive answer though):

http://www.gp32x.de/board/lofiversion/index.php/t43621.html

Well, from what I've heard (from people passing through the United States from other countries) CE appears to be a bit more strict then the FCC, so we shouldn't have a problem with such a thing.

I'm worried about the battery, the battery worries me. I hope it doesn't explode due to a driver fail and an overcharge.

etchasketch said:
I'm worried about the battery, the battery worries me. I hope it doesn't explode due to a driver fail and an overcharge.
lol ^^
such things are regulated by electronics on the battery itself, which are probably provided by the company that makes the battery ^^
these kind of battery electronics have been needed for such batteries for a long time, so you can count on them working like in any other device ^^
it would really amaze me if that part would be made by the pandora team, it would be counter productive since complete solutions embedded in the battery are probably easily available, and probably much easier and cheaper than making something yourself ^^

Racemaniac said:
etchasketch said:
lol ^^
such things are regulated by electronics on the battery itself, which are probably provided by the company that makes the battery ^^
these kind of battery electronics have been needed for such batteries for a long time, so you can count on them working like in any other device ^^
it would really amaze me if that part would be made by the pandora team, it would be counter productive since complete solutions embedded in the battery are probably easily available, and probably much easier and cheaper than making something yourself ^^

As soon as I read that, I had an image with Craigix with a Pandora powered by a potato battery... :lol:
That aside, it's of course reassuring to know that things are being done properly.

Chip said:
stustaff said:
Anybody know for a FACT how long this testing takes? as it seems they will be sending it to them in what two weeks? so then add the FCC EC review time on gives us...?
The testing facilities I've looked into quote 2-4 weeks.

I gotten quotes from 5 different companies that do FCC certs, that all average about 4 weeks to 6 weeks. This also include time for 1 major setback, i.e. product fails, do tweak on product, and then resubmit.

MDave said:
If they are using off the shelf chips, like the WiFi+Bluetooth chip, I can't imagine there being any problems. The guys on the hardware side of the team have experience with this kind of stuff anyway.

You are correct, pre-certified FCC modules have less tests (thus faster), and are cheaper to do.

Back