Fba2x - Finalburn Alpha Beta 7.3

Manjuu

100% マンジュウ
HeadOverHeels has released version 7.3 of FBA2X.

FBA2X is a port of Finalburn Alpha for the GP2X console. It is an arcade emulator for MC68000/Z80 based arcade games. It plays CPS-1, CPS-2, Cave, Toaplan, NeoGeo, and other arcade games.

Original thread from gp32spain.com: http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread....0519#post770519

Release Notes:
o Replaced MAME's Z80 core with CZ80 core. Games like Mazinger Z and Metamoqester are faster.
o Little optimizations in the generic tiles renderer
o Disabled kernel read ahead cache
o New supported games:
. * Cave:
- - - Power Instinct 2 (pwrinst2, pwrins2j) (cache required)
- - - Power Instinct Legends (plegends, plegendj) (cache required)
. * Tumble Pop hardware:
- - - Tumble Pop bootleg (tumbleb (bad sound), tumbleb2)
- - - Jump Kids (jumpkids)
- - - Metal Saver (metlsavr)
- - - Pang Pang (pangpang)
- - - Super Trio (suprtrio)
- - - Hatch Catch (htchctch)
- - - Cookie & Bibi (cookbib)
- - - Choky! Choky! (chokchok)
- - - Wonder League Star (wlstar)
- - - Wonder League '96 (wondl96)
- - - Fancy World - Earth of Crisis (fncywld)
- - - SD Fighters (sdfight)
- - - B.C. Story (bcstry, bcstrya)
- - - SemiCom Baseball (semibase)
- - - Date Quiz Go Go (dquizgo)
- - - Jumping Pop (jumppop)
. * Ninja Gaiden hardware:
- - - Shadow Warriors (shadoww, shadowwa, gaiden, ryukendn, ryukenda)
- - - Tecmo Knight (wildfang, tknight)
- - - Raiga - Strato Fighter (stratof, raiga)
- - - Dragon Bowl (drgnbowl)
. * Unico:
- - - Burglar X (burglarx)
. * ESD16:
- - - Multi Champ (multchmp, multchmk)
- - - Multi Champ Deluxe (mchampdx, mchampda)
- - - Head Panic (hedpanic, hedpanif)
- - - Tang Tang (tangtang)
- - - SWAT Police (swatpolc)
o Fixed games:
- - Guwange (guwange)
- - Hyper Street Fighter 2: The Anniversary Edition (hsf2, hsf2j) (cache required)
- - Aero Fighters (aerofgt, aerofgtb)
- - Turbo Force (turbofrc)
- - Karate Blazers (karatblz)
- - Spinal Breakers (spinlbrk, spinlbru, spinlbrj)

To Generate Cache Files:
1. Unzip FBACache.zip somewhere
2. Copy the ROM set to the "roms" folder of FBACache
3. If it's a NeoGeo or PGM game, copy also the BIOS set (neogeo.zip or pgm.zip)
4. If it's a clone set, copy also the parent set
5. Open the Command Prompt, and go to the FBACache directory
6. Type and enter "fbacache.exe -d [romname].zip" (no quotes, and [romname] is the ROM set's filename)
7. Wait until the dumping process completes (make sure no missing files are indicated)
8. Copy only the [romname].fba to the ROMs folder of FBA2X in the SD card

Download Links:
- FBA2x-beta73.zip (1.74 MB)
- FBACache.zip (667.4 KB)
- fba2x-b73-src.zip (1.65 MB)
- fbacache-src.zip (1.94 MB)

[Space reserved for the updated Compatibility List]

aero fighter (using aerofgt rom) still has problems. music cuts out after a while.

guwange (using cache) works perfectly. YES!! awesome game.

any of the new or fixed games of any interest?

Any chance someone could put together a preview pack for this? The preview pack I had used before is missing a fair amount and is out of date.

Anyway this emu rocks. headoverheels has really done some amazing things with this emulator and got tons of great games running at a good speed.

Excellent news , especially for loyal gp2x folks who had been worrying things would go bad hereafter :rolleyes:

This time newly added games list is also big , and titles like raiga and tumble pop are really "something"

One question , "forgetting service mode settings" problem after exiting the game been solved in this release ?

hercule18 said:
Hi,

how about NeoGeo Emulation, compared to Gngneo2X?

Bye

Herc. :ph34r:
Hi there ,

I am yet to try this new release but as far as I know , while fba2x is not as fast and therefore not great as gngeo2x for neogeo titles. But it is said to perform the raster effects better , which games like neoturf masters and some super sidekicks games need . So it means , only better than gngeo2x for a few games , I think

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds like nice software. Can someone give a summary of why it would be a good idea to install and use this instead of (or in addition to) MAME?

(This is an honest innocent question, not an attack or flame-bait!) <_<

Laser said:
This sounds like nice software. Can someone give a summary of why it would be a good idea to install and use this instead of (or in addition to) MAME?

(This is an honest innocent question, not an attack or flame-bait!) <_<
It`s mainly down to speed/performance, When comparing both emulators, FBA vs Mame, FBA tends to be quite a bit faster (and sometimes more compatible) when playing games supported by both emulators.

Just install them both and have the best of both worlds. :)

Trooper

Alghazanth said:
But it is said to perform the raster effects better , which games like neoturf masters and some super sidekicks games need . So it means , only better than gngeo2x for a few games , I think
There was a Super Sidekicks game or two I couldn't play on GnGeo due to poor raster effects. Gonna have to try them again. Thanks for the heads up!

imhotep said:
Alghazanth said:
But it is said to perform the raster effects better , which games like neoturf masters and some super sidekicks games need . So it means , only better than gngeo2x for a few games , I think
There was a Super Sidekicks game or two I couldn't play on GnGeo due to poor raster effects. Gonna have to try them again. Thanks for the heads up!

super sidekicks 3 plays really well with this but doesn't work with gngeo. super sidekicks 4 (ultimate 11) also plays well with this but requires cache and higher overclock. still great game though.

For those interested in playing NeoGeo games in console (AES) mode and/or with the UNIVERSE BIOS:
1. Select either of the two BIOS files: aes-bios.bin or uni-bios.rom
2. Rename it to "asia-s3.rom"
3. Replace the real asia-s3.rom in neogeo.zip with it
4. Run FBA2X or FBACache with the modified neogeo.zip

To make large games work in console mode, the modified neogeo.zip is needed during the generation of the cache files

When using the AES BIOS, FBA2X will run in console mode, but you'll lose access to the service mode.

When using the UNI-BIOS, FBA2X will always start in arcade mode. You need to press A+B+C during the BIOS boot screen, then change the region setup to run in console mode; you need to do this every time a game is loaded, as the settings are not saved. However, with the UNI-BIOS, you'll have access to either arcade or console modes, service mode, cheats, pause menu, and other uni-bios features.
Tip: Use A+B+C+Start instead of Start+Select to pause and access the in-game menu. This is because Start+Select is mapped in FBA2X to the Player 2 Start button.

FBA2X can't save any of the progress, high score, and settings data.

@jbrodack: I thought Ultimate 11 wasn't working. Thanks for reminding me about need for cache file.

@Manjuu: Nice tips!

very nice realase...... i was much happier with the last one emulating wrestlefest though :) :) ):

did anyone got Hyper SF2 Anniversary working... ? i cached it but i get only a garbled screen and my gp2x freezes :(

FBA2X can't save any of the progress, high score, and settings data.

Was it the reason it also doesn"t save cps2 service mode settings data ? I thought it was a bug or something forgotten , since nobody else asked about it ?

Can it be included in the future ? High scores and etc is not that important , but gets kinda gets frustrating to go to service mode to lower difficulty and set to free play every time you start a cps2 game :(

Back