FAQ Suggestions

Hi all :)

@matzesu : so far I've only been recharching the Pyra through the USB 3.0 (Micro-B plug) port.

It takes quite a while, and ends up charging around 70%. When I unplug the Pyra, the battery widget tells me I have about 1.5 hours of battery time left :(

In your opinion, would I have better results with the other ports (USB 2.0, Micro USB serial output, etc...) ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

@matzesu : so far I've only been recharching the Pyra through the USB 3.0 (Micro-B plug) port.

It takes quite a while, and ends up charging around 70%. When I unplug the Pyra, the battery widget tells me I have about 1.5 hours of battery time left :(

In your opinion, would I have better results with the other ports (USB 2.0, Micro USB serial output, etc...) ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

That sounds like you're trying to charge the Pyra while it's switched on and the power supply / cable is not a good one.

Reactions: rSl
At least a proper 2A charger and a cable that's not to long or two thin.
The longer a cable is the higher the loss.
And if it's too thin, it can't provide enough power.

Hmm, that said, if you have charging issues AND your unit runs hotter than it should... Maybe your PCB has some short circuit somewhere.

You could also clock the Pyra to 1 ghz via the Clockrate Widged from Debian, you get when you rightclick on the task bar, this way the Pyra shouldnd get that hot when its in use and you can charge whyle its running (its quite usefull for not that demanding tasks like Writing work)..

Another suggestion for the FAQ: why does the Pyra refuse to boot when an unbootable SD card is inserted in the left slot ?

I remember reading the answer somewhere but I can't find it at the moment.

Regarding my charging issues, I bought a new 2.4A charger some days ago. It still takes a long while to charge, and the battery level won't go over 87%.

The micro USB cable sold with that charger doesn't seem to be recognized by the Pyra and won't trigger a charge, so I'm back to using the USB 3.0 (Micro-B plug) for now.

EDIT: I also bought an HDMI - micro HDMI cable, and I can confirm it doesn't work well with the Pyra yet (black screen, on both monitor and Pyra). Any idea why ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

Last edited:
Because unlike the Pandora, where you have to press a shoulder button to boot from a SD Card, the Pyra search for a boot image on every start,
Could be it’s not implement yet, or it’s because it’s meant to use the Micro SD Slot as a place to put your Image in , so it searches first the Micro SD, and then the left SD Slot ..
the OS is still Work in Progress

EDIT: HDMI isn’t implemented yet: also it’s a bit difficult whit the Screen Rotation,
If I remember correctly you have to deaktivate screen rotation first on the Terminal

Yeah, it's worth checking the left slot for anything bootable in it before you boot in the eMMC, in cases where the eMMC image is corrupted and you need to reflash the unit. The fix I suspect is to remove the bootable flag on the SD card.

Another suggestion for the FAQ: why does the Pyra refuse to boot when an unbootable SD card is inserted in the left slot ?
This had me thinking I bricked my Pyra for sometime as you don't get any messages from the USB serial console with this issue.
tried for a bit to format my cards in Linux, but ended up having to format on my old Macbook pro and formatting to an ext format is not that straight forward on a Mac.

My Pyra won't charge over 85% with a 3A charger and an expensive thick, short micro usb cable. My guess is the calibration is off?
And indeed the pyra does not boot with an unbootable new, repartitioned to ext4 SD card.
A bit annoying but oh well...

No the Calibration is ok, usually you dont charge a LIPO 100 %, but your Phone lies to you when its say 100 %..
So the Pyra is honest, 85 % is ok
The Pandora was also max 80 %

The whole Batterie Part is also work in progress, i put my Pyra on the Cable, the Red LED is on, and when the RED LED is off, its full for me mybe in a couble 2 months (tm) cycles, it might be that someone fixed this

I get the following output in dmesg after plugging the HDMI cable in:

Code:
[Nov16 18:28] debugfs: File 'force_bredr_smp' in directory 'hci0' already
present!
[Nov16 18:29] etnaviv-gpu 59000000.bb2d: MMU fault status 0x00000002
[  +0.006546] etnaviv-gpu 59000000.bb2d: MMU 0 fault addr 0x005ce3c0
[  +1.106600] etnaviv-gpu 59000000.bb2d: recover hung GPU!
[  +0.016693] etnaviv-gpu 59000000.bb2d: MMU fault status 0x00000002
[  +0.006531] etnaviv-gpu 59000000.bb2d: MMU 0 fault addr 0x00389a40
[  +6.673431] etnaviv-gpu 59000000.bb2d: recover hung GPU!
[  +0.006247] etnaviv-gpu 59000000.bb2d: MMU fault status 0x00000002
[  +0.006540] etnaviv-gpu 59000000.bb2d: MMU 0 fault addr 0x00389a40
[  +6.376038] etnaviv-gpu 59000000.bb2d: recover hung GPU!
[  +0.440795] etnaviv-gpu 59000000.bb2d: MMU fault status 0x00000002
[  +0.006530] etnaviv-gpu 59000000.bb2d: MMU 0 fault addr 0x00389a40

Does that ring any bells ?

EDIT: what does etnaviv-gpu (Vivante) have to do with the Pyra in the first place ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

Last edited:
Hi all,

@TrashyMG : thanks for the heads-up, I completely forgot about this piece of hardware :)

Does that mean this 2D core is already in use ?

Code:
root@pyra:~# lsmod | grep etnaviv
etnaviv                77824  1
gpu_sched              28672  1 etnaviv

If not, could the kernel module be safely removed (for now) in order to run some more HDMI out tests ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

Back