Firmware suggestions and contributions

Couldn't the NAND be locked by default? Or at least, lock most of the NAND as read-only (have OS-level access only, to only those programs which require it) so as to further encourage people to use SD cards instead - if it's a worry (it is with some, with others, it isn't).
That's not a very open choice is it? :)

I still don't understand why writing to the NAND is a big problem, the NDS, Wii and probably a few other consoles use NAND chips which will eventually wear out. Hell, even SD cards wear out.

Couldn't the NAND be locked by default? Or at least, lock most of the NAND as read-only (have OS-level access only, to only those programs which require it) so as to further encourage people to use SD cards instead - if it's a worry (it is with some, with others, it isn't).
The firmware is already about as locked as it can get without physically restricting the units. The only directory the user has any ability to write to naturally is their home directory where system wide settings go, any other changes require super user access, and if you're knowledgeable enough to know how to use super user, it's hoped that you're knowledgeable enough to either know what you're doing or to take responsibility when things go wrong. What exactly are you hoping to accomplish by locking it down further? There's probably a better way.

We could make better use of the touchscreen:

I was thinking about something like "mypaint" does.

Different responds depending on how hard you press the screen.

Verry low somply moves.

Little harder is left klick.

Hardest is right klick.

Of course there has to be a menue option to disable it and set it back to what it is now.

You also should be able to change the sensitivity of each klick option.

I know it sounds strange but it would be a nice feature.

With some practice it might be pretty nice to use.

How about:

Having the click sensitivity very high to make touchscreen operation more comfortable, but pressing lightly for a moment, then harder (without removing stylus) resulting in a double-click?

We could make better use of the touchscreen:

I was thinking about something like "mypaint" does.

Different responds depending on how hard you press the screen.

Verry low somply moves.

Little harder is left klick.

Hardest is right klick.

Of course there has to be a menue option to disable it and set it back to what it is now.

You also should be able to change the sensitivity of each klick option.

I know it sounds strange but it would be a nice feature.

With some practice it might be pretty nice to use.

How about:

Having the click sensitivity very high to make touchscreen operation more comfortable, but pressing lightly for a moment, then harder (without removing stylus) resulting in a double-click?

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean.

An other nice idea for a better touchscreen usage.

How would you do right-click then?

Would you leave it as it is now?

Best would be a menue to customise your touchscreen.

Leave default as it is and open up a lot more options.

I think the best way to prevent people doing the wrong thing on the NAND is education. Hence my suggestion in post #2 of this thread. Even if someone doesn't read the manual or wiki beforehand, they're likely to check out an infographic that appears in front of them the first time they open Thunar.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "Pandora Input-Tester" program...

One minor change please - create an alternate method of exiting the program in event that one of the shoulder buttons is failing.

I use the program to check functionality of my left shoulder button - confirm that it fails - then have no choice left but to reboot as no key combination seems to break out of the program BUT both shoulder buttons.

Thanks!

Here is an other idea I had some time ago:

Keyboard mode.

The Pandora should be able to go into an Usb/Bluetooth Keyboard mode.

Mosh

(mobile shell)

Remote terminal application that allowsroaming, supports intermittent connectivity, and provides intelligent local echo and line editing of user keystrokes.

Mosh is a replacement for SSH. It's more robust and responsive, especially over Wi-Fi, cellular, and long-distance links.

Mosh is free software, available for GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, and Mac OS X.

http://mosh.mit.edu/

I build it for pandora but I have problems to set up an up to date Perl/IO::pty Perl module environment inside the firmware. On the other hand Mosh works nicely on pandora Arch Linux.

With/without powermanagement wifi, bad "3G" connection it can be a nice part inside the firmware. Controlling your irc, irssi, bitlbee with skype plugin chats on your home server in the garden or do some cross compilation in the bus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can think of a few small changes that would be a good idea (assuming SuperZaxxon hasn't done them already; I'm still on HF6):

- Allow the time to be adjusted without having to also set your location and the date. This would be helpful mostly because the clock sometimes gets set back (when the system locks up or crashes, I think), making it necessary to correct the clock occasionally. Even better would be to auto-synchronize the clock with an online source when available, but I don't know how difficult this is.

- When a nub is set to mouse buttons, allow any given direction to be turned on or off, or even better, allow what each direction does to be set (with "nothing" as an option). Example: I could disable up and down so that left left clicks and right right clicks, but up and down do nothing.

- Update Python to version 2.7.

- Add a "python2" symbolic link.

That's all I can think of that hasn't been suggested in this thread.

- When a nub is set to mouse buttons, allow any given direction to be turned on or off, or even better, allow what each direction does to be set (with "nothing" as an option). Example: I could disable up and down so that left left clicks and right right clicks, but up and down do nothing.
I second this one. This would be tremendously handy. :)

Like I already mentioned it, I suggest an simple onscreen brightness indication bar when the brightness is changed over the hotkeys. The reason for this is because I want detailed values of how bright I set my screen, not just visual guess. It happens from time to time that the Pandora somehow resets the brightness to a high value (if nox max. value, happend yesterday for me after booting) Of course it also can happen when accidently use the hotkeys for brightness. This costs alot of battery time and is really not needed until you use your Pandora under bright sunlight.

So a brighness bar with the values on screen does really improve the usability imho. Small things like this can really make the difference. :)

I would love some of the common libraries like libdirectfb that are on the codec pack but not on the firmware. I don't believe there is any reason why It can't be packaged with the firmware.. Just been burned a few times when porting a game over and it's a dependency, it works on Pandora's with the Codec Pack installed, but doesn't with those that don't have it installed. obviously it will still be good to keep restricted codecs out of the firmware..

so far It's been libdirectfb and libfusion(part of the directfb package?).

- Allow the time to be adjusted without having to also set your location and the date. This would be helpful mostly because the clock sometimes gets set back (when the system locks up or crashes, I think), making it necessary to correct the clock occasionally. Even better would be to auto-synchronize the clock with an online source when available, but I don't know how difficult this is.
The auto-synchronization bit could be rather easily achieved with adding a ntp daemon to the OS or just the ntpdate client for occasional synchro (not automatic, needs to be run manually).

Alternatively, one could make a ntpdate PND app ;)

Here's a BIG step forward that could be added.

Support for FAT32 and ExFAT. FAT32 can already be done, but it's an OPKG pain.

ExFAT should be able to be done - as we can get the source code for in on other Linux releases.

http://code.google.com/p/exfat/

Having the Pandora be able to use the most common out-of-the-box formats on SD/SDHC/SDXC cards would be a great plus.

Grench

Back