Black And White Output

adrifter

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I know that you want me to look it up, and I have been for 30 minutes with no luck, I am even using google to search the boards-- if anyone feels charitable, please just tell me the way to fix it-- if not its cool, I will find it eventually by searching...

but-- it seems like this would be a good thing to post in FAQ section if it has been asked and answered "thosends" oops, I mean "thousands" of times...
(thats a nod at one of the posts i get with each search in case you didnt catch it..haha)

nobody would have to ask, and instead of saying search, we could just tell newbies like me to check the FAQ.. no more complaints about the searches... but its just an idea

cheers

d

*edit* -- i got to talking abou how it should be in the FAQ section and kinda lost the plot a bit... Im just using a standard S-video to male RCA (phono) cable, and the RCA plug is going into the front of my TV-- I am using the NTSC video option, the one used here in Japan- confirmed from wikipedia. any suggestions or arrow pointing would be appreciated... d

Black and white TV-out output can have 3 reasons:

1. You did select the wrong video mode (NTSC instead of PAL (or reverse))
2. Your TV-out cable is defective (check for bent or missing pins in the connector).
3. Your TV isn´t correctly configured (check the settings of your TV, alternate between S-video, chinch and RGB settings).

BobBorakovitz posted on Sep 4 2006 at 04:55 AM said:

you can send me the bill

, but i had already looked at 3 out of 4 of those threads-- I even made a nod to one of them in my original post. The one with the lead to the card fix looks the most promising.

-- my problem with the searches wasn't enough results though-- it was too many. I got post after post of people asking for help-- and a bunch of others telling them to use the search function... not helpful or encouraging when you are using it, and cant find anything but prompts to stop being lazy and use it. That or people saying that i should be using PAL when im not on a PAL system...

cheers though, this and fishbong's post are the closest things I have found to a;

THE TV OUT HAS THESE COMMON ISSUES-- if it is doing this... this is whats wrong... do this to fix it... if you are trying to be cheap and are using A instead of B like you are supposed to, just buy B and stop complaining... it is easier...thank you goodbye

...A post like that in the FAQs couldnt hurt, could it?

fishbong-- my tv is so ghetto it has no S-video input, and therefore no related settings. NTSC is the standard in japan, and my american vcr works, so i have a standard NTSC tv... as for the pins, im no expert but they look ok--- any specific issues i should be checking for?

as for the settings? what should they be, provided that i find them?

thanks again for the many arrows... they are much appreciated

d

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't know anymore than that, unfortunately.

None of my TV's had SVideo, either, I had to buy a WAY overpriced SVideo->RCA converter from Radio Shack. But it worked well the few times I used it.

Do you know anyone else around you that has a TV with SVideo inputs? I'd try to test it on another TV first before I went testing the cable for problems.

My TV-out connector lies unused because, despite buying the supposed "quality" one from gp2x.co.uk, my gp2x only plays in colour if I apply pressure to the connector at a particular angle. Basically, I gave up. Evidently the TV-Out is one of the promises not quite kept ..... :(

if you have to hold your cable to work, it sounds like you got a faulty TV-out cable. I do remember that the first batch of tv-out cables weren't quite up to par. They fixed them though and now better quality cables are available.

There was a fix for that, I remember... I think the person filed a little off the end of the cable and put an index card over the connector (so the cable doesn't go in quite as far.)

adrifter posted on Sep 4 2006 at 02:22 PM said:
fishbong-- my tv is so ghetto it has no S-video input, and therefore no related settings. NTSC is the standard in japan, and my american vcr works, so i have a standard NTSC tv... as for the pins, im no expert but they look ok--- any specific issues i should be checking for?
My TV hasnt one either, im using a S-Video/RCA to Scart adapter. What do you use?

Anyway, if i were you, i´d try the cable on another TV, and if it doesnt work aswell, send the cable back and get it replaced/repaired.

Fishbong-- I am not sure what you mean by a scart adapter, and i checked wikipedia-- no dice there either... but basically i am using a cable that I plug into the tv-out svideo end, and it has a standard RCA plug-- like the kinds that came with the original PS1-- so i have those going into the red white and yellow video inputs on the front of my TV

-- your idea about checking it on a TV with an Svideo sounds like common sense-- i should have thought of it...

thanks for the help...

Fishbong posted on Sep 4 2006 at 02:44 PM said:
Black and white TV-out output can have 3 reasons:

1. You did select the wrong video mode (NTSC instead of PAL (or reverse))
2. Your TV-out cable is defective (check for bent or missing pins in the connector).
3. Your TV isn´t correctly configured (check the settings of your TV, alternate between S-video, chinch and RGB settings).

My picture is also black and white. I tested my tv-out at a friends (Plugging it in via a scart adapter), B&W first, but worked fine when switching to S-video mode. Whatever that means. The thing is, I can't do this on my tv at home. It's a Panasonic (TX-28CK1F) from around 2000. When looking at chart of the different inputs for the Scart-in, there is a RGB red, green, and blue - in, and a ground for each. There is also an RGB-status, maby the signal to this one is missing? Wonder what one could do to fix it.

ok, none of my friends has S-video either, but on a 2nd look, there do seem to be some pins missing from where the TV-out connects to my Gp2x..(there are actually so many missing that i just assumed that HAD to be look like brand new-- why would a new one be that damaged?) any ideas about how to get it replaced gratis?

i bought it from playasia-- any chance they will step up?

if not-- which site do you reccomend for quality cables?

thanks again

d

--ps... Fishbong-- did you upload a ps1 demo to Utube? that looked cool if it was you... how is it running now?

The pins are removed on purpose - only a few of them are actual TV-Out pins, the rest are wired to other things.

And have you tried using the PAL setting? Some people with NTSC TVs have solved this problem by switching to PAL.

yeah i have actually tried the PAL, and besides just a black and white image, i get a shaky blurry black and white image-- i figure that cant be closer to what im trying to do-- but since i didnt say i'd tried it, thanks for trying to find new ways around the problem, i appreciate it. ok, so i guess the next step is to look at a pic of a good Tv out and count pins.

thanks though

d

I think I might have figured it out, but it's mainly just guesses. Not all tv's seam to be able to switch between s-video mode, RGB, chinch(?) etc manually. My panassonic tv does have signals for all that stuff (through the SCART-in), but i don't think the Gp2x is using any of these. So my tv is assuming the wrong setting. I have no idea how to fix this, maby it could be done through firmware. If my theory is right ofcourse, and since I basically don't know what I'm tanking about, it probably isn't.

Back