FAQ Suggestions

Whats the Diverents between the "User Intervace" of the Pandora and the Pyra, ??
Is the Pyra "Waterproof"??
How many Ampere do i need on my USB Power Supply to charge the Pyra whyle its runns ??
Will a SD Card whit a Filesystem, that work on the Pandora, also work whit the Pyra ??
How "Noobfriendly" is the Pyra ??
And is there something i have to know in Using the physical device, that wasnt there on the Pandora ??
I would like to put my Pyra in my Pockets, like i dit whit my Pandora, so i have it every time i need it, is this strange behavier also possible whit the Pyra ??

Is it unbrickable?
Is it future-proof?
Is it a fair product?
How long will the battery last?
What kind of software can you run on it?
Can I use it as my main phone?

On Pandora, there wasnt a "Charging OS", Charging was controlled by the Angstrome OS, so if you put the Charging Cable in, the Pandora dit a Full Boot, :
Will the Pyra have a Charging OS or a Charge Chip on its Mainboard that dosnt need a full Boot to Charge the Batterie ???

@superatarian

PyraOS is essentially vanilla Debian with just an additional repo for Pyra related things, by default unless aTc changed anything it should come with Firefox and it run pretty decent and the Pyra will have 2GB more system ram than the OMAP5 Devboard I have at home.

Chromium is available, with a bit of work I installed an armhf version of regular Chrome from Ubuntu and it ran decent too.

There are also a half dozen more light weight browser out there on the regular debian repo that you can just download, the Pyra will have a much better browser experience than the Pandora.

Last edited:
What is Debian GNU/Linux?

We have the Debian ARM version, which means that wine (a Windows layer for Linux) is not available. But we have dosbox to emulate x86 dos environments.

Maybe recheck if all these commands work on the prototype first, before we say we're fully Debian:

Definitively add something about the Pyra package system.

Add something about the repo.
"Although the Pyra is mostly Debian, we have added drivers and specialized software for the Pyra, you can access the software repository".
Unlike the Android ecosystem, all software here will not ask for microtransactions or spy on you. Some applications may ask a small amount of money.

How to program your usr1 and usr2 programmable buttons. (xev/xmodmap. Will we have something to help remapping?)

How to open your Pyra and access serviceable components and breakout components.
A simple guide: Battery, SIM card, sd card placement and removal.

*(example: clean the fan/remove dust)
i.e. A complete guide to disassemble and assemble your Pyra.

Also mention the forum. You can ask questions and opinions on the forum. If you are stuck, or are unsure.

For item: What Operating System will the Pyra run?
Also mention you will be able to boot from your own operating system on SD cards, and that instructions will follow (slack, maybe even replicant/Android).

Last edited:
What is Debian GNU/Linux?

Add something about the repo.
"Although the Pyra is mostly Debian, we have added drivers and specialized software for the Pyra, you can access the software repository".
Unlike the Android ecosystem, all software here will not ask for microtransactions or spy on you. Some applications may ask a small amount of money.
do you mean ask for donations ? I'm not sure it's clear that payment is optional ? Or maybe I'm not sure what software will be in the Pyra repository...

How to open your Pyra and access serviceable components and breakout components. *(example: clean the fan/remove dust)
What fan ? Not sure opening it just to remove dust is a good idea.

do you mean ask for donations ? I'm not sure it's clear that payment is optional ? Or maybe I'm not sure what software will be in the Pyra repository...
No, I mean that a few software in the Pandora repository is payment (even though they trust you enough to download and test:

What fan ? Not sure opening it just to remove dust is a good idea.
Hmm, maybe the fan has totally been replaced by passive cooling, not 100% sure now, I thought both would be there.
Being in a pocket, it will get dustballs, just like the Pandora. I used a lot of cotton swabs to clean it so far.
I've dropped my Pandy a lot of times, so I've had to re-repair the shoulder buttons quite a few times. That means I've opened up a few times. I fixed the audio connector also when it was not connecting right (just bend the metal connector a bit), I've reset the nubs (I've got 2 broken rings - from factory, as it was the cheaper 300 euro discount because I didnt receive my Craigix one). I've tried the led mod using tape (but was not able to open up the lcd part to put the wires in place, so I've removed it. And sure, the first months you just do software mods, but after a while, you want to see what you can do with the hardware. And opening it up will not be for everyone, of course.

Last edited:
Keeping it clean will help performance so yes probably a good idea to have some guides / videos on how to clean the internals as it's not going to be hard.

Probably some sort of service / disassembly guide on ifixit / here would work well too.

P.S i'm not disassembling my Pyra in the first few weeks I get it ;)

No, I mean that a few software in the Pandora repository is payment (even though they trust you enough to download and test:
Ah, I see. I didn't know that.

Hmm, maybe the fan has totally been replaced by passive cooling, not 100% sure now, I thought both would be there.
I'm not so sure either, but I'd say there's no fan in the pyra. There are termal conduits and radiators, but as far as I know all passive.
Being in a pocket, it will get dustballs, just like the Pandora. I used a lot of cotton swabs to clean it so far.
I've dropped my Pandy a lot of times, so I've had to re-repair the shoulder buttons quite a few times. That means I've opened up a few times. I fixed the audio connector also when it was not connecting right (just bend the metal connector a bit), I've reset the nubs (I've got 2 broken rings - from factory, as it was the cheaper 300 euro discount because I didnt receive my Craigix one). I've tried the led mod using tape (but was not able to open up the lcd part to put the wires in place, so I've removed it. And sure, the first months you just do software mods, but after a while, you want to see what you can do with the hardware. And opening it up will not be for everyone, of course.
When you open it for any reason, repair or whatever, then I find it wise to wipe it. I just thought that opening it always implies some risk of breakage, and might not be worth only for cleaning. But you have more experience than I.

When you open it for any reason, repair or whatever, then I find it wise to wipe it. I just thought that opening it always implies some risk of breakage, and might not be worth only for cleaning. But you have more experience than I.
I agree about risks but once a device has active cooling, then dust will collect inside, bigtime (in my case, when it I'll use it 24/7 ;) ). gently using a vacuumcleaner, with your hand inbetween suction and device is the quickest way to clean (for example, to clean the usb port; but there is compressed cans of air that also work), but for delicate components it can break them (due to, say, a fan turning the other way around and generating current with inverted polarity; or ripping the speaker membrane, if it's an old-tech speaker. The Pandora has a coil that can break, for example)

There are those days when you can give someone else an electric shock by touching them. Those are the days you better touch a radiator, or faucet, or something that is earthed to take away your static body electricity before opening it.

Screwing/unscrewing wears the plastic out (just be gentle and it'll be ok. If you have eaten something and have fat fingers, and touch components, then bacteria can grow there, and maybe eat into the components. In that case, a swab with alcohol cleans and kills (and alcohol evaporates real fast).

Screwing/unscrewing wears the plastic out
I can’t think of the correct terminology but do we not have metal pop-riveted screw thread receivers in the plastic frame so we don’t end up weakening the plastic frame when (un)screwing?

In the Pyra? I've no recollection of those embedded in the plastic. However, even without them, I've found thread into plastic perfectly stable if you first find the thread before screwing it in, and not go all cack-handed about it.

My pyra won't turn on or charge? - A common fault with early Pyra's is that the battery doesnt push against the contacts hard enough. If your pyra turns off randomly or won't charge, try sticking a small 1cm square of card or velcro to the battery on the opposite side from the contacts.

Can i use the Pyra as an "EDC" Device??
Shure, when you have big enough pockets, and dont work on Building Grounds, allthough if there is a "CAD" Software for Debian, it might be also a good Device for Builders as long you dont trow Rocks on your Pants..

Some Early Pyra might got some Cracks, others are fine, so just keep in mind you have a up to 760 € Device in your Pocket and you are good to go..

• Love
Reactions: rSl
Hi all :)

I second @matzesu first question regarding charging: how to properly charge the Pyra's battery ? What kind of cable do you need ? How long does it take to get fully charged ? How long does a fully charged battery last under "average use" ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

Well, the Cables dosnt Matter that much: I used the Cable of the XBOX ONE Controller, as well as a Cheap Roll On Cable..,
i let it charge from about 22 PM to 6 AM, and its as good as full,..
Its important that the RED LED is on, and nothing else at least on some Units..

Can i use the Mate CPU Meter Widget even if it was not activate in the Flash Image? And when i put it to 1 ghz, can i then run Games and Charge?

Back