Fallout In Dosbox?

1magus

I saw Fallout running on the PSP dosbox at a very slow speed but would it run better on the Pandora?

Pickle said:
It might be faster, i think everyone expects the pandora is faster than the PSP.
also trying the game on the pc will give an idea too.
There two diff hardwares why would it be an idea :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
TylerAW said:
Pickle said:
It might be faster, i think everyone expects the pandora is faster than the PSP.

I think Pickle said something along the lines of "The Pandora should play games well around 18000 - 21000 CPU Cycles", I'll need a link or to be told I'm wrong though.

edit: (No "s" in "Pickle")

Ryzure said:
TylerAW said:
Pickle said:

I think Pickle said something along the lines of "The Pandora should play games well around 18000 - 21000 CPU Cycles", I'll need a link or to be told I'm wrong though.

edit: (No "s" in "Pickle")

I thought he said 2000 to 4000.

What I wish for Dosbox in pandora is to not stutter the sound. Regardless if it can or cannot run at 10000 cycles.

I mean,. in GP2X whatever cycles you got it down (and there were games that should run under say 400 cycles) I never had sound that doesn't shutter. On the PC when this happens is when the cycles are too high and there is no CPU remaining for the sound emulation too. But on the gp2x no matter how low the cycles I could never hear the sound properly as if the sound emulation alone needed more processing power. It was never even in 100 cycles perfect (I had some 8088 demos and early games that on PC with 100 cycles would play well with sound not stuttering). Or is it because of a buggy sound emulation or something?

Even if Dosbox Pandora runs fine in early 286-386sx systems that would be fine for me as long as it it's flawless with not stuttering sound. There are a lot of nice classics and demos for these early system I would like to run under emulation in a handheld. As long as there are some cycles, no matter if low, that something will run at specific cycles well with good sound. That would be a good start!

..and then we would pray for extreme optimizations on the code to have flawless high end 386 or 486 games/demos running well too :)

dadioflex said:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fife/

I haven't really followed this but it was/is an OS Fallout-esque engine.

EDIT: found this that might explain a bit more.

http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopi...37c96b276e0acb7

It seemed like it originally was intended to be a reimplementation of the Fallout engine. Was thinking "Oh cool ^_^ Fallout on Pandora!), but...

Considering that we've moved away from our Fallout roots since over a year and also taking into account that we don't support the most important Fallout file formats anymore (ACM sounds, AAF fonts, MAP maps are currently not supported anymore; DAT1 & DAT2 archive support might vanish soon as we plan to switch to physfs):

I guess I need to clarify what i meant. A cycle in dosbox will be the same on any hardware using any core.
You get a higher max cycle count with dynamic than simple since the dynamic is more efficient with recompiling the running code.

An example:
Play the game on the pc, it takes 3000 cycles to be playable. You know the cycle limits of the hw you want to try it on for example say Pandora can hit 3000 max, PSP 2000 max, GP2X 1000 max.
You can conclude that pandora it will play great, PSP not so well, and GP2X will totally stink.

My cycle estimation is based on the numbers benchmarked from Squidges finalburn demo. In that test it was determined that there was a ~2.5x increase in performance from the GP2X. So for example with the dynamic core on the GP2X duke1 plays very well at 1000 cycles. 1000 * 2.5 = 2500. So my assumption is that pandora hw using the dynamic core could support at least 2000-3000 cycles.
But we wont really know until it can be tested on the real hw.

Optimus said:
What I wish for Dosbox in pandora is to not stutter the sound.
You should try to mess with the blocksize in dosbox.conf. Try values like 128,256,512. Also set all of the sound rate at 11025.
Many of the pc speaker games like duke1 improved with the dynamic core.
If your referring to sound blaster level sound, I don think the gp2x has enough process power to support it.

fischju2000 said:
What speed was the Cortex running at for that demo? 500, 600, 900?

If I remember right I think it was the standard 500 Mhz. So with overclocking theres potential for more performance (although it seems there has been more talk about decreasing the lifespan of the soc with higher clocks than with previous ARM chips)

Pickle said:
You should try to mess with the blocksize in dosbox.conf. Try values like 128,256,512. Also set all of the sound rate at 11025.
If your referring to sound blaster level sound, I don think the gp2x has enough process power to support it.
If Dosbox uses SDL's built-in sound mixing (mixsdl, not the separate library SDL_Mixer), you might look at the size of the buffer requested. In the past, SDL games generally required a size of 128-256 bytes to achieve stutter-free sound with little lag. With SDL 1.2.13 that has changed for some reason, and now a setting of 512-1024 or perhaps even 2048 is needed. Lag no longer seems to appear at the higher settings (a tiny bit with 2048 I believe).

Senor Quack said:
Pickle said:
If Dosbox uses SDL's built-in sound mixing (mixsdl, not the separate library SDL_Mixer), you might look at the size of the buffer requested. In the past, SDL games generally required a size of 128-256 bytes to achieve stutter-free sound with little lag. With SDL 1.2.13 that has changed for some reason, and now a setting of 512-1024 or perhaps even 2048 is needed. Lag no longer seems to appear at the higher settings (a tiny bit with 2048 I believe).

I dont think ive released a version of dosbox with that SDK version yet

Can someone explain how "# of cycles" translates into "CPU requirements" for someone who's completely clueless on the matter? How many cycles would you need to decently run a 486 game?

Pickle said:
My cycle estimation is based on the numbers benchmarked from Squidges finalburn demo. In that test it was determined that there was a ~2.5x increase in performance from the GP2X. So for example with the dynamic core on the GP2X duke1 plays very well at 1000 cycles. 1000 * 2.5 = 2500. So my assumption is that pandora hw using the dynamic core could support at least 2000-3000 cycles.
But we wont really know until it can be tested on the real hw.
<snip>
I had assumed that references to the GP2X handling about 1000-1200 cycles was with sound blaster sound. Bummer to hear that it isn't. So, do you have a guestimate of whether Pandora can handle Sound Blaster emulation in DOSBox, and if so, about how many cycles it can handle with SB sound?

Thanks,

Pete

Esn said:
Can someone explain how "# of cycles" translates into "CPU requirements" for someone who's completely clueless on the matter? How many cycles would you need to decently run a 486 game?
From my minimal understanding of Dosbox, 9200 is close to a 486 at 100 Mhz.

I really want to play Redguard but the reqs don't give me much hope:
Pentium 166 Mhz
32 MB RAM
350 MB free hard drive space
Windows 95
16-bit sound card
3Dfx video card recommended

Back