Fallout 1?

Lucky7Ac

Still Fresh
is it possible to play fallout 1 on pandora?
i googled fallout 1 for linux and there are plenty of guides to do it but it needs unbuntu and wine
and i dont know if pandora can use either of those or if the pandora is even powerfull enough to play it?

I'll definitely try it on qemu. What was the speed requirement for fallout? Maybe Pandora could give about 30MHz (remember it's under heavy emulation layers, without optimization).

Lucky7 said:
is it possible to play fallout 1 on pandora?
i googled fallout 1 for linux and there are plenty of guides to do it but it needs unbuntu and wine
and i dont know if pandora can use either of those or if the pandora is even powerfull enough to play it?

It's possible, the original fallout had a DOS version and may work with Dosbox. However I just noticed it required a pentium 90mhz processor.. last I knew Dosbox could only do at most lower 486 speeds on the Pandora. However the extra ram available on the Pandora may counter balance the processor speed.

Wine however won't be able to run on the Pandora, because it requires a X86 processor.. the Pandora uses an ARM based.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought fallout 1 could run in DOS. Maybe i remember wrong... if not DOSbox might work

System requirements All
10+ MB free space,
mouse

DOS
Pentium 90 MHz,
32 MB RAM, 2x CD-ROM,
SVGA,
SoundBlaster-compatible sound card.

Win
Pentium 90 MHz,
16 MB RAM,
DirectX 3.0a or 5.0,
2x CD-ROM, SVGA,
DirectSound-compatible sound card.

Mac
PowerMac,
16 MB RAM,
CD-ROM,
System 7.1.2.

dnt know if this is what your looking for...

Woo! I remembered correctly. I don't think the Pandora will be able to pull of Pentium 90 speed in dosbox, but its worth a try anyway.

Just checked some other forum. It runs on the N900 (pretty much the same hardware as the pandora if i remember correctly), but it runs pretty slow (60%)
We needs a ASM x86 core for ARM ;)

I KNOW i was playing Fallout on a 486. 66MHz DX2. Upgraded to a 100MHz DX4 mainly to play Daggerfall, but with the added benefit of making Fallout smoother. Also, it ran on 16MB ram. Faster cpu meant it wasn't suffering as much from less memory. The 486 had 32MB. If i don't remember wrong, game performance was suffering when there was a lot of "people" in fights. (On, and off screen) Fallout 2 I'm fairly certain i had running on DOS as well, perhaps i should go back to my discs and see if i remember right.
B!

It'll be real nice when everyone gets their Pandora. I'm sure we will see a flood of people showing off the Pandora running damn near everything

Fallout 1 and 2 were damn excellent!
In FO2 you can even pimp out your own wife!

BEST OLD SCHOOL GAMES EVER!!

If it could run on Pandora.. It would be... I'm lost for words just thinking of it.

Butterman said:
It will run.

I remember some videos of Warcraft 2 running under dosbox and that takes a Pent 90 with 16mb RAM.

Warcraft II needing a Pentium 90? that must be the Windows 95 Battlenet version..

Here are the hardware specs for WarCraft II DOS version.

•486/33 or better processor.

•8 megs of ram, 16 megs recommended.

•Double speed or faster CD-ROM.

•SVGA video card.

Hi guys,

FIFE, Flexible Isometric Fallout(-like) Engine

IanOut, an OpenSource FallOut 2 Engine --> discontinued, now PARPG

Bye, Magic Sam

Mithrildor said:
Yes, but DosBox still isnt optimised for the Pandora, just ported. So once a devs works a bit on it, it will run.

Warcraft 2 on Skeezix's Pandora via Dosbox:

wc2pandora.jpg

Warcraft 2 on Skeezix's Pandora via Dosbox:

That's fine I know Warcraft II will work after all it only requires a 486 to run.

Mithrildor said:
Yes, but DosBox still isnt optimised for the Pandora, just ported. So once a devs works a bit on it, it will run.

I'm pretty sure I remember a dev saying there's not really much room for optimisations when it comes to DosBOX

pretty sure there is hope for qemu though isn't there?

please say yes

FIFE won't run Fallout but Fallout-like games only, like PARPG or Zero-Projekt.

All the dependencies should be satisfied I think :)

Source code is here.

Instructions to build PARPG from source are here.

Zero-Projekt seems to be a very interesting game (videos here), though too demanding for the Pandora IMHO :(

Could someone with a Pandora or a devboard give this engine a try ?

Bye and thanks, Magic Sam

Back