Fails To Load Web Pages

purplepup

Website
Visit site
I've had my Pandora for a couple of weeks now and still haven't got the wifi browsing to work.

It connects & disconnects wifi fine, but any browser I try just can't get a page to display. It just says 'name or service not known'. Sometimes it will display the first page but that's hit and miss. Anything after that fails until a network manager restart or reboot.
All my other linux PC's/Laptops and Wii have no problem and were set up the same (i.e I didn't do anything other than set the WPA key and MAC address restrictions).

I can ping my other machines (and external websites using IP address only) but not using DNS. I can also ping the Pan from another machine using its local name.

I'm sure there was another thread similar to this (but can't find it) where only the first link/page would show up, and I've tried all the solutioins posted in http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53630-solved-help-with-wifi/ but nothing works. I know others are still having wifi dropout issues after a while but I can't even get that far!

Anyone have any ideas, or has this been solved already and I missed it?

Thanks.
Al

P.S everything else is stunningly cool :)

Last edited by a moderator:
PurplePup said:
I've had my Pandora for a couple of weeks now and still haven't got the wifi browsing to work.

It connects & disconnects wifi fine, but any browser I try just can't get a page to display. It just says 'name or service not known'. Sometimes it will display the first page but that's hit and miss. Anything after that fails until a network manager restart or reboot.
All my other linux PC's/Laptops and Wii have no problem and were set up the same (i.e I didn't do anything other than set the WPA key and MAC address restrictions).

I can ping my other machines (and external websites using IP address only) but not using DNS. I can also ping the Pan from another machine using its local name.

I'm sure there was another thread similar to this (but can't find it) where only the first link/page would show up, and I've tried all the solutioins posted in http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53630-solved-help-with-wifi/ but nothing works. I know others are still having wifi dropout issues after a while but I can't even get that far!

Anyone have any ideas, or has this been solved already and I missed it?

Thanks.
Al

P.S everything else is stunningly cool :)

Have you installed all the hot fixes? I had wifi problems at first but since the hot fixes it seems to work fine. Before I had to type sudo ifconfig usb0 down in terminal then exit and after that it was fine. I had to type that every time before using the web but since the hotfixes i don't need to do it now. I've also swapped to Firefox for browsing it's much better and since I'm used to windows I find it a lot easier to use. I can't help you if non of the above work coz I'm a linux noob :)

edit: Ah I see you read my wifi thread. I hope you get your problem fixed soon.

My netbook did not have any DNS server that it would connect to automatically. Once I put DNS servers in my browser options it worked. I have no clue why it did not revert to my isp's DNS but that is how I fixed my issue. I hope this helps.

EDIT: I only know two off the top of my head and they are google's DNS servers. 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Thanks, yes, I'd previously applied hotfix2 and just before my original posting had applied hotfix3.

I just looked at the connection information (right click on wifi icon once connected) which gives:
Code:
Interface:         802.11 WiFi (wlan0)
Hardware address:  <my correct MAC address>
Driver:            w1251_sdio
Speed:             1 Mb/s
Security:          WPA/WPA2
IP Address:        10.0.0.11 <which is correct>
Broadcast Address: 10.255.255.255
Subnet Mask:       255.0.0.0
Default Route:     10.0.0.138 <correct as with all my other machines>
Primary DNS:       10.0.0.138 <again correct>

I've already tried the usb0 down and don't really want to have to put a DNS in the browser as it limits the apps I can use.
I also checked the 'route -n' and it gives a expected output:
Code:
Destination  Gateway      Genmask   flags Metric Ref Use Iface
10.0.0.0     0.0.0.0      255.0.0.0 U     2      0   0   wlan0
0.0.0.0      10.0.0.138   0.0.0.0   UG    0      0   0   wlan

Anything else I should try....?

I have no clue, maybe this helps:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54125-pandora-seemingly-not-resuming-or-renewing-dhcp-leases

mali said:
I have no clue, maybe this helps:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54125-pandora-seemingly-not-resuming-or-renewing-dhcp-leases

ok, thanks, tried various things mentioned there:
Code:
- added my domain to /etc/hosts
    no change
- ran sudo dhclient
   - got error /var/lib/dhcp does not exist (cannot create /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.leases
   - created /var/lib/dhcp
   - re ran sudo dhclient which now seemed to work with a new renewal in 3473 seconds
      --oops, it just disconnected as I type... and asks for WPA key again - now fails to connect (until I reboot I should think)
- restarted networking (sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager restart
   - reconnected ok now, still no DNS lookup though

frustrating... :(
it must be my router, as no-one else seems to have this problem, but as I say, all my other machines work flawlessly.

have you tried bypassing the DNS? Go directly to http://173.194.33.104/ instead of google.com. I'm pretty sure that'll work for you. That means it is definitely just DNS that is having a problem.
Do the following:
cat /etc/resolv.conf
post the output here. It should say something like
Code:
nameserver 10.0.0.138
nameserver 10.0.0.138
(alternatively, it may be the DNS to your actual ISP, not your router)

If you want to try something, edit that file (you need to be super user, so something like "sudo vi /etc/resolv.conf" will work, if you know vi) and make it say
Code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

So first, go to google's ip in your browser, make sure that works. Then, cat /etc/resolv.conf and save the output so you can post here, then edit that file to use the open DNS entries and see if that helps.

edit: forgot to mention that you'll probably have to restart the network (sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart) for the changes to take effect...
But then the dhcp will probably overwrite the file when it reconnects anyway. If you make the change, restart the network, and it doesn't seem to be working, check the file again to make sure it wasn't changed back automatically on you. If it does get set back, I have no idea how to make it permanent.

Thanks WizardStan, that sort of worked, for a couple of pages, then reverted back to failing to resolve host.

The resolv.conf was initially:
Code:
# Generated by NetworkManager
domain mycorrectdomainhere.com
search mycorrectdomainhere.com
nameserver 10.0.0.138

so I changed it to:
Code:
# Generated by NetworkManager
domain mycorrectdomainhere.com
search mycorrectdomainhere.com
#nameserver 10.0.0.138
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

then restarted networking (/etc/init.d/networking restart)

then going into Midori I could get to the first two sites I selected from the bookmarks (openpandora.org and gp2x.de.forum) but then the next one I tried just failed and showed the 'Cannot resolve hostname'

I checked the resolv.conf and it was still exactly as I'd edited it.
However, restarting NetworkManager did reset resolv.conf to the original settings.

So, tiny bit closer...

EDIT: just tried http://173.194.33.104/ (now it always fails again) but it just sits on 'connecting...' in Chrome. Maybe it'll work after a network restart..... nope (just restarted), maybe after a NetworkManager restart.....nope! and that's checking and changing the resolv.conf each time as needed.

ok, tried connecting at work today, and surprise, surprise, it worked fine. Just a passphrase and straight in, no DNS issues at all!

So basically, what router/access point issues or settings could be causing this?
My setup at home is a Thompson speedtouch 510 4 port DSL router, with a 3com OfficeConnect wireless 11g Access Point attached for all my wifi needs.
Anyone else had any problems with a setup like this. Maybe a all-in-one Netgear modem/4port/wifi unit might be better?

Thanks
Al

Seems like your router doesn't tell the Pandora correct nameserver values.

You should be able to setup everything manually in NetworkManager though.

PurplePup said:
ok, tried connecting at work today, and surprise, surprise, it worked fine. Just a passphrase and straight in, no DNS issues at all!

So basically, what router/access point issues or settings could be causing this?
My setup at home is a Thompson speedtouch 510 4 port DSL router, with a 3com OfficeConnect wireless 11g Access Point attached for all my wifi needs.
Anyone else had any problems with a setup like this. Maybe a all-in-one Netgear modem/4port/wifi unit might be better?

Thanks
Al

I'd suggest a Linksys. I've never had problems connecting to them with any of my devices. (Including my Pandora)

-God Ginrai

[SOLVED] ...by getting a new wireless/modem/router. A borrowed TP-Link ADSL2+ thingy.

No idea what is wrong with the old setup, but it'll be retiring now.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

Posted from my Pandora (yay! :D)
P.S the more i use the keyboard on this, the better i like it. Good use of the game controls for scrolling, paging and home/end etc. Thumb typing is really quick and painless too. V-happy.

Back