External Power Supply

Sorry, my camera is just too rubbish to take a decent picture :(. Basically, imagine the smallest male connector in your pic was female; that's the size you need.

Hmm... there's a standard plug that has an outside diameter of 2.35mm and takes a pin with diameter 0.7 mm. It sounds to me like that could be the one needed for the gp2x. Does this seem right to you looking at your gp2x?

/Khell

Last edited by a moderator:
To those who play their GP2X with an adapter:
Does it play well? I mean. The DC plug looks very unhandy at this spot (above the USB). Isn't it annoying to play with the adapter?

Just asking though before I'm getting one. :p

Hmm... there's a standard plug that has an outside diameter of 2.35mm and takes a pin with diameter 0.7 mm. It sounds to me like that could be the one needed for the gp2x. Does this seem right to you looking at your gp2x?

/Khell
I have no way of measuring anything that small (not even a ruler in my house, let alone anything more accurate). However, judging by eye I'd say yes, 2.35mm diameter with 0.7mm for the pin looks correct :)

I got these shots from Robster:
http://www.cobbleware.com/files/plug1.jpg
http://www.cobbleware.com/files/plug2.jpg

So I guess none of mine will fit. :(

Wow, that looks small. What's the outer diameter on that thing? Could it be a 0,7/2,35 mm plug? Or is it even smaller? :eek:

Yeah, that looks exactly like the 0.7/2.35 mm plug for sale here:Elfa.se (top left plug in picture). I think I'll take my chances and order one right away.

/Khell

Hey german-speaking fellas,

I just found a good power supply for all people from Germany, Austria & Switzerland (because the shop exists there).

It has 800mA, you can change the polarity and it has a range of 3-12V.
Fits the GP2X exactly, PLUs, it is very cheap, only around 10-15 EUros ( I bought it in Switzerland where it costed only 20 CHF :))

And 800mA should just be the upper limit the GP2X (and the GP32?) should need.
Good power supply

Besides, does the GP32 also use changed polarity?
Don't want to trash mine :ph34r:

To those who play their GP2X with an adapter:
Does it play well? I mean. The DC plug looks very unhandy at this spot (above the USB). Isn't it annoying to play with the adapter?

I'm using a 500mA adapter I bought from Currys here in the UK and it seems to work fine; I played Lufia II on the SNES emulator for an hour or so yesterday. The adapter runs slightly warm but nothing too scary.

The position of the socket does make it slightly awkward to use the R button because you can't grip the unit tightly, but it's liveable with.

Becarefull !!!!!
3V is not 3.3V as inscribe on gp2x. I test with a 3V and it does not work ! Blank screen, freeze screen !

My adaptator is this one : http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...ldID=&doy=27m11

This is an AC/AC adaptor (i.e. it has AC output), the gp2x will require DC. I stated earlier in this thread that that adaptor wont work. I've also permanently killed an Atari Jaguar previously by using a DC adaptor when it wanted AC :eek:

I'm using a Digitor multi-voltage plug pack that provides a regulated 3V at up 1.5A. Comes with a range of different plugs and the polarity can be selected by the way you attach the plug. Works sweet.

Also, I don't find the plug gets in the way while using it. It fits neatly between my fingers.

Decent 3V PSU's do work if you buy a good one. I'm using one :)

(Asking for 3.3V is kinda daft, as adaptors are never that accurate unless you spend a few hundred quid on one).

slygamer posted on Dec 1 2005 at 03:05 PM said:
I'm using a Digitor multi-voltage plug pack that provides a regulated 3V at up 1.5A.

Does yours have a lovely high-pitched whine under load?

Maybe mine is dodgy.

I have a plug-top adapter that looks identical to the Argos one referenced by #41 and #72 (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9828915.htm.)

It works fine when set to 3V and using the smallest of the plug-tips (the second one down in the picture.) The connector is angled 90 degrees which makes it possible to use the unit while it's plugged in, and I haven't noticed any difference between running on batteries or PSU. You do need to make sure the plug is connected the right way round ("TIP" <-> "-") and that the voltage selector switch isn't moved.

theoddbot posted on Dec 1 2005 at 09:57 AM said:
slygamer posted on Dec 1 2005 at 03:05 PM said:
I'm using a Digitor multi-voltage plug pack that provides a regulated 3V at up 1.5A.

Does yours have a lovely high-pitched whine under load?

Maybe mine is dodgy.

If it gives off a high-pitched wine, it's normally the sign of a cheap switch mode power supply. My router does the same thing, but you can only hear it when your close, so I just throw it behind the desk :)

For Canadians and Americans, Office Depot/Staples and Radio Shack (probablly any electronics store anywhere in the first and second world I would think) all sell 'universal' external PSUs with voltages ranging from 1.5 to 12v and multiple dongles and connecter ends. Check em out, I plan to.

Squidge posted on Dec 1 2005 at 07:59 PM said:
If it gives off a high-pitched wine, it's normally the sign of a cheap switch mode power supply. My router does the same thing, but you can only hear it when your close, so I just throw it behind the desk :)

That much I figured, was just asking since he had the same model. I buried it under some crap and now its all good :)

Back