EXT connectors

I'm wonder what is schematic of official TV out cable. IIRC there are both, S-Video and composite output on one cable.
S-Video gets both TV out signals and the composite plug gets just the first output on the official cable. There is no mixing capacitor and the idea is that the user must be responsible for setting up the hardware through the software so that they don't get a B&W image on composite. Of course, software doesn't exist for that yet but it could and maybe now someone will write that script. Perhaps one of you guys with these plugs and a desire to tinker with the settings can get it done. ;)

Can somebody help me lay out the full schematics for both an S-Video and component cable TV out? As far as I can tell from this picture and this diagram, I need to make the following connections:

TV Out 1 (Y) > Luminance (Y)

TV Out 2 © > Chrominance ©

But then there's only ground on the EXT connector and two on the S-Video input? What else do I have to wire?

Also, would anybody be kind enough to lay out the schematics for RCA? I have no idea where to start there.

Can somebody help me lay out the full schematics for both an S-Video and component cable TV out? As far as I can tell from this picture and this diagram, I need to make the following connections:

TV Out 1 (Y) > Luminance (Y)

TV Out 2 © > Chrominance ©

But then there's only ground on the EXT connector and two on the S-Video input? What else do I have to wire?

Also, would anybody be kind enough to lay out the schematics for RCA? I have no idea where to start there.

That's right and the one Ground pin gets wired to both on the sVideo connector.

For composite as I now understand it, its even more simple - you wire the centre pin to TV OUT 1 (Y), and the sleeve to GND, then set up the pandora to output a composite signal instead of sVideo.

EDIT: of course for it to work that way you would also need someone to write a script that will change the output mode... now that we have people building TV Out cables I suspect that that's only a matter of time.

-Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, anybody here that missed the post in the dev section and knows how to communicate using the terminal and the new uart2 and uart3 of the ext port? ttyS1 and ttyS2 apparently, but i think they need to be activated. (No clue, linux serial noob here ; )

More info here: launchpad topic on this forum

And links to reference documents and/or tutorials are fine ofcourse. Don't mind doing some research, but a direction would be nice.

Hm, slaeshjag, i see some black stuff on your soldering iron, this may work as thermal resistor and could contaminate your solder joints. If you don't have a wet sponge, a torn piece of cardbox or other types of thicker paper could be usefull for cleaning.

DSC00901.JPG
Public question. I don't see any shield braids on the wires. As far as i heard, there could be an influence on the TV picture quality. Maybe someone likes to try and could show us the difference?

Public question. I don't see any shield braids on the wires. As far as i heard, there could be an influence on the TV picture quality. Maybe someone likes to try and could show us the difference?
I'm using shielded cable with 7 wires (7 + shielding). Hmm... I'll test signal on 10 m long cable tonight.

I'm wonder what is schematic of official TV out cable. IIRC there are both, S-Video and composite output on one cable.
S-Video gets both TV out signals and the composite plug gets just the first output on the official cable. There is no mixing capacitor and the idea is that the user must be responsible for setting up the hardware through the software so that they don't get a B&W image on composite. Of course, software doesn't exist for that yet but it could and maybe now someone will write that script. Perhaps one of you guys with these plugs and a desire to tinker with the settings can get it done. ;)

I don't know what the current status of kernel development is, but according to

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/GSG:_OMAP35x_DVEVM_Additional_Procedures#Enabling_TV_Out

a kernel recompile, (or at the very least a module change), is needed to switch between S-video and composite. Perhaps this is different in later versions of the driver though? A module for video is sounds like a bad idea. Ideally you want the driver to have some ioctl/sysfs/procfs interface for this, assuming the hardware supports switching on the fly (don't see why not).

Hm, slaeshjag, i see some black stuff on your soldering iron, this may work as thermal resistor and could contaminate your solder joints. If you don't have a wet sponge, a torn piece of cardbox or other types of thicker paper could be usefull for cleaning.

The solder joints are most likely crap, I did "clean" my tip before I actually stated, and I did got the solder to melt quickly, but the joint itself is probably weak (hasn't failed yet.)

So I attempted to solder my cable today, and I found it to be nearly impossible to solder inddividual wires to the EXT connectors, as they were incredibly flimsy. Any advice on how I can solder it to be somewhat sturdy? My other end of the cable (S-Video) was fine, but soldering this EXT connector seemed impossible.

So I attempted to solder my cable today, and I found it to be nearly impossible to solder inddividual wires to the EXT connectors, as they were incredibly flimsy. Any advice on how I can solder it to be somewhat sturdy? My other end of the cable (S-Video) was fine, but soldering this EXT connector seemed impossible.

take it slow, and use the smallest tip, wire and solder, tin the wire with a small amoutn of solder (enough to cover then a tiny bit more), then heat pin, touch wire, keep it there for about half a second and then hold it very still. secret is jsut t o be careful and make sure it's heated well enough, otherwise it won't flow or bond to the pin properly

Yup, GFrancis explained it nicely in the post above. (err, last one on the page before it seems, i'll make a quote)

gfrancisdev said:
take it slow, and use the smallest tip, wire and solder, tin the wire with a small amoutn of solder (enough to cover then a tiny bit more), then heat pin, touch wire, keep it there for about half a second and then hold it very still. secret is jsut t o be careful and make sure it's heated well enough, otherwise it won't flow or bond to the pin properly

At first i could not get anything soldered to the connector, or when i did, connecting 1 or 2 pins along with the one i intended to solder. I won't repeat them, but some bad, bad words were uttered.

But after some practice, decent pre-tinning of the wire (don't overdo it, you don't want a big solder blob near those small pins) i managed to properly attach 5 wires without much trouble.

And the other day i acidentally hit the testing setup with my leg, disconnecting the unsoldered, wound up wires connected to the svideo cable, but all the ext pins solder joints still hanging on (and pandora still on the couch fortunately). And did not even cover with hot glue yet since i'm still deciding how much i want to attach per cable.

Patience, steady hand, and more patience. That's about it.

Good luck!

Oh, and General Note: The crappy screen quality in my tv out setup was from the crappy s-video cable it seems. Working with composite now, and got near perfect image. Only a slight colorshift because i still need to get the actual 470pF capacitor, using something higher atm

i've managed good enough joints so they pull the pins out if tugged, problem is my hands aren't steady at all, so i messed up a few connectors proper :D

i've managed good enough joints so they pull the pins out if tugged, problem is my hands aren't steady at all, so i messed up a few connectors proper :D
Lol, well i THINK mine are that solid as well, but after all the effort, im gonna troutslap the one that's going to try :p

Edit: And TV out video update while i'm at it. Much improved graphics as i said, even without the right capacitor. Screen blinking is only the framerate difference of tv/camera.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XL7NzxVVjyM?feature=oembed

I've finally made up my cable... But no joy. I can't tell if it's the wiring or the Pandora not outputting video :(

I've made sure I'm using the correct pinout by checking the location of the Vcc output - which is where I expected it.

Damn.

Any suggestions anyone? Ta!

Edit 0:

Stripped it down, resoldered & now working! Must have been a minute SC/OC.

Oh, and the output does work with the lid closed.

Edit 1:

Pandora works with showwx! Woot!

Is the mail strike still happening in Canada? Or is customs holding mine hostage or something? I usually get things from Canada in 3-7 days.

I also have TV Out cable envy.

Back