EXT connectors

okay wow, i didn't quite expect them to be this small, your cameras have way too good macro settings XD

regardless i am now the owner of 50xext connectors, and a totally adorable stamp, bastards printed postal mark over it though :(

I think WizardStan can mail you some stamps if you ask nicelly :) Of course he will use more adorable stamp to send it to you, so you will order more :p ... Profit! :D I received my connectors yesterday and after reading comments I expected them to be... smaller

I made one now, soldered everything like in this http://pandorawiki.org/images/Cable_connector_pinout.png picture (when it's plugged into the Pandora audio out left is in the top left, audio out right in the bottom left tv out 2 ( C ) in the bottom right, gnd second pin from the right in the upper row of pins), tested if I soldered well with a little light bulb (I did), connected it to my monitor and the Pandora, started the TV-Out script and selected "Enable TV Out in PAL Mode" and - the monitor says "no signal".

Any suggestion what my mistake could be?

Of course the ext port of my Pandora could be broken, as I can't test it with something else, but that seems unlikely to me.
Brining this to the next page and adding:

I also don't get sound either and in dmesg there is nothing when I plug it in.

Does anyone know what it should say in dmesg?

Does anyone know what the reason for this could be?

I haven't recieved mine yet :#

(then again .. I'm going to be waiting another 2 months for my pandora anyway ...)

Ok, the Polar Bear Express finally arrived at my house! yay!

The plugs are about as small as i expected, tiiiiny...

After a lot of swearing i finally got 2 wires connected to it. But, the image is black and white on my tv.

The way i done it now is connect connect tv-out 1 and gnd to a standard yellow tulip plug (at least that's what we call it in the netherlands). But im guessing thats not good?

But mostly: Thanks Stan!

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Regarding the black and white picture: Is your TV able to display NTSC signals in colour? If not, I guess checking to see if the TV-out stuff is set to NTSC might be worth doing before anything else. :p

^ Regarding the black and white picture: Is your TV able to display NTSC signals in colour? If not, I guess checking to see if the TV-out stuff is set to NTSC might be worth doing before anything else. :p
I live in the Netherlands, everything is PAL here. And yeah, selected Pal in the tv out settings

Something like this might happen if the chrominans signal is lost, but the luminanse signal isn't. For composite, you need to splice these signals with a capacitor iirc.

Something like this might happen if the chrominans signal is lost, but the luminanse signal isn't. Check your soldering etc.

Ah, well i only used one signal cable (the luminance probably then) and a ground, that would explain it.

So i should attach another cable to the chrominans signal and wire it up to an svideo plug instead of the default 1 signal line used here?

Edit: Ah, it's more clear now after your edit, thanks :)

Edit 2: If anyone else is interested: A quick google tells me i need a 470pF capacitor on the chrominans signal. This page explains it nicely

I live in the Netherlands, everything is PAL here. And yeah, selected Pal in the tv out settings
Yeah, that's what I meant - sorry for my slightly poor wording. What I meant was "You're in a PAL region, so checking to see if it's set to NTSC might be a good idea.". :lol:

Well, i attached the third wire to the connector for the color signal, opened my "old wire box", found an svideo cable, cut that up, also found svideo to scart converter, wired it up, annnnnd: Full screen, full color pandora :D

Some interference, but there are some crocodile cables involved in the test setup, so that was expected. Need some hot glue and some other stuff to finish a proper cable. Hope the 3 cables attached up to now survive that long.

But still, just awesome to play PandoraPanic! on a big widescreen crt tv :)

Cheers!

I got mine yesterday, the last day before the mail strike happened. :)
Yeah, I was really worried because I've still got a bunch of orders to go out, but apparently it's a rolling strike, so mail isn't stopped, just slower.

Well, I could only optimize PAL settings, since I don't have an NTSC TV.
But now that others can test it, we could work together on the settings.
I have other though on mind. Is possible to write script for setting video output into composite mode, so on "Y" pin is complete composite signal? I think, that I read something like this in very deep history, but I'm not sure :)

I'm wonder what is schematic of official TV out cable. IIRC there are both, S-Video and composite output on one cable. I doubt that S-Video still gives good signal, if capacitor for mixing luma and chroma signals is added:

Code:
luma ------------+---->  S-Video (Y) / composite

|

,--||--´   (capacitor 470 pF)

|

chroma ---+----------->  S-Video (C)

EDIT: Oh, is possible setup Pandora to boot using TV-out? In other words - could it boot with lid closed showing screen on TV?

I'm wonder what is schematic of official TV out cable. IIRC there are both, S-Video and composite output on one cable. I doubt that S-Video still gives good signal, if capacitor for mixing luma and chroma signals is added:

I have to say I've been wondering at that myself, how can separation be maintained on one connector while mixing it on another?

- Neelix

Back