Every Neo Geo Game Is Bad Rom Or Romrc??

evilmegaman

Still Fresh
Can someone help me figure out why every neogeo game I play (4 versions of *** chaos.. Don't know if we're allowed to post names. Plus 1 other game) never works. It really sucks cuz I just get the Bad ROM or ROMRC error. Any one have any ideas? I even tried the one at the gp2x torrent site..

evilmegaman posted on Jul 10 2006 at 01:13 AM said:
I even tried the one at the gp2x torrent site..

I think those ones are pre-dumped with the old version, so some won't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I found one that works, But it just sends me back to selector. it isn't selectable in rage2x either

Ihave the EXACT same problem.
the file names match the romrc.
I don't get it.

my roms are "MAME 32 NeoGeo" (?) if that makes any difference>
What is this process of grafix dumping? Is that just another way of saying putting the original game into a rom file?

Grafix dumping is for games that are too big to fit in the 2X`s memory.

And I got the same problem with all the roms I downloaded today, infact, these are all roms for which the wiki says they work fine... any help?

evilmegaman posted on Jul 9 2006 at 08:13 PM said:
Can someone help me figure out why every neogeo game I play (4 versions of *** chaos.. Don't know if we're allowed to post names. Plus 1 other game) never works. It really sucks cuz I just get the Bad ROM or ROMRC error. Any one have any ideas? I even tried the one at the gp2x torrent site..

I'm assuming you have the bios files in the rom directory? If not, then you missed a step.

bigdaddy posted on Jul 10 2006 at 10:21 AM said:
evilmegaman posted on Jul 9 2006 at 08:13 PM said:

I'm assuming you have the bios files in the rom directory? If not, then you missed a step.

Yes, as outlined in here + the UNIBIOS added in the roms as well
Rage works but the games (MAME 32) won't run. Files are named as per romrc.

then I scraped all that and found a all-your-answers-here-just-drop-and-play torrent...NOTHING! Bubkiss!

I dunno.
(I'm no prgrammer, so this is all hit and miss....all the other emulators work fine, this NeoGeo though is a tough nut to crack)

SDL libraries? is that a given her that I'm missing?

Get 7zip and make sure all the files match the romrc that are in the zip. Not only does the name have to match but so do the crc checksums. If the crc's are correct and the filenames are not then just rename. If some of the crc's are correct and others are not then keep the good ones, obtain another copy of the game and mix and match until you have the correct crc's.

If you are still confused then tell me the name of the game you need help with and I will try and help.

I'm having this problem too. But in my case it seems to be even weirder: I had Last Blade, Neodrift and KoF'94 and they were all working about a week ago. Yesterday I tried to play Last Blade and it didn't work (Bad rom message). I thought maybe something wrong happened with the gfx dump, so I tried the other two (neither of which require dumps) and neither of them worked! I didn't change ANYTHING in the main gngeo directory, did not install a different version of the emulator, neither of the frontend. They simply stopped working from one day to the next.

I checked to SD card to see if it had corrupted the files, and it didn't. I even re-copied the roms from my PC to the card, along with a few others, and the problem persisted. Tried deleting the save games, and still nothing. Already checked to see if the bios files are all there, and they are... I'm really lost in this one.

What does it mean when you start up the game but it kicks me back to selector with no error?

Paulo, I'd delete your gngeo directory and re-copy everything over fresh from the zip files (of whatever version you were using).

gaterooze posted on Jul 10 2006 at 07:04 PM said:
Paulo, I'd delete your gngeo directory and re-copy everything over fresh from the zip files (of whatever version you were using).
I just did that and am still getting the same message. Only now I realised that the romrc entries don't match the names of the files inside my rom zips. I would rename them myself, but I have absolutely no idea which files are supposed to have which names... Is there anyway of figuring this out?

I seem to have lost two games that were working fine.

Metal Slug 3, works but corrupt graphics are now overlayed and Pulstar now just goes to a red warning screen.

I tried deleting configs & GFX files and reinstalling but there still the same, dont know why.

E

elvgren posted on Jul 11 2006 at 09:56 AM said:
I seem to have lost two games that were working fine.

Metal Slug 3, works but corrupt graphics are now overlayed and Pulstar now just goes to a red warning screen.

I tried deleting configs & GFX files and reinstalling but there still the same, dont know why.

E

I don't know if this help, but I had strange issue until I noticed my romrc file in my gngeo2x directory on my sd was an old one. So I take the one from this archive: http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/gngeo2x_0.6.12.zip
and now all my roms are working properly. Also I am using the roms from antidark compilation available as a torrent.

Right now, I have Mslug 3, 4, 5 , Samourai Showdown 5, Kof2004, Prehistoric Isle 2,...perfectly working :)

@ckaloc2002. No, that didnt work either it seems to be the same romc, thanks anyway.

Just sems strange they did work, then not now, I must have done something but dont know what for it to happen.

E

evilmegaman posted on Jul 10 2006 at 02:54 PM said:
What does it mean when you start up the game but it kicks me back to selector with no error?

For me, this happens only when I change the options (hit Y button before selecting your ROM) to include sound, and overclocked to 266. I can usually play for a while, then it dumps me. If I leave it clocked at 200, with no sound (since there is no options for 200mhz + sound unfortunately) then it never dumps me back to the menu.

I assume it has something to do ith overheating? It lets me play for a while, then dumps me... and if I go back to the game again, I don't get to play for very long the 2nd time around. BTW my 1st edition only seems to clock to around 255.

project86 posted on Jul 11 2006 at 11:18 AM said:
For me, this happens only when I change the options (hit Y button before selecting your ROM) to include sound, and overclocked to 266. I can usually play for a while, then it dumps me. If I leave it clocked at 200, with no sound (since there is no options for 200mhz + sound unfortunately) then it never dumps me back to the menu.
You can change the different settings by opening one of the config files (can't remember which one now) and manually editing the different parameters. It's really simple, just make sure you use an editor that supports the unix carriage returns (I use Crimson Editor myself).

elvgren posted on Jul 11 2006 at 04:18 PM said:
@ckaloc2002. No, that didnt work either it seems to be the same romc, thanks anyway.

Just sems strange they did work, then not now, I must have done something but dont know what for it to happen.

E

Too bad; I have got the same and then decided to test on a different SD with a brand new copy of gngeo2x. This is where I discovered that I was using a wrong romrc (but don't know in which gngeo2x archive it was included, but if I remember the latest romrc is not the right one).

Anyway good luck in your investigation!

Back