Emulators Speed Up Hack

jmetal88 posted on Oct 1 2006 at 03:16 PM said:
It's supposed to be done with CPU speed 266, not 280.

it's irrelevant if the cpu-speed is 266mhz or 280mhz ... better ram-timings will provide a speedboost for both clocksettings.

@washo:
The timings only affect the RAM ... i don't know if this benchmark is a havy RAM-user ... if not, there can not be any big speed gain, 'cause there is no RAM-bottleneck.
That's the reason why gngeo should benefit relatively well, because gngeo uses the whole RAM.

Last edited by a moderator:
nik166 posted on Oct 1 2006 at 03:11 PM said:
Lupin posted on Oct 1 2006 at 02:05 PM said:
All i get is a black screen. Here is what my GPU looks like

Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe --upll --timing 1 --cpuclk 266 --trc 6 --tras 4 --twr 1 --tmrd 1 --trfc 1 --trp 2 --trcd 2
cd /mnt/sd/Games/SNES/
./squidgesnes.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

Yes cpu_speed.gpe is in root of SD or /mnt/sd and squidgenes.gpe is where it is pointed to. 2.0 FW

probably you did it with windows notepad or something similar,

i had that problem, so i tried with "programmers notepad" (freeware) and set line endings to UNIX in the tools menu, and it worked :D

Ahh thx I was using notepad. I didnt even think about it though, cause it worked when I created a couple of for Gamma High and Gamma Normal and then return to GMenu2x instally. Ill give that app a try

Lupin posted on Oct 1 2006 at 04:00 PM said:
Ahh thx I was using notepad. I didnt even think about it though, cause it worked when I created a couple of for Gamma High and Gamma Normal and then return to GMenu2x instally. Ill give that app a try

any program allowing to save txt with unix formatting is fine, there should be a few :)
i don't like programmers notepad's ergonomy much, i'll look for the other ones :p

nik166 posted on Oct 1 2006 at 12:26 PM said:
Lupin posted on Oct 1 2006 at 04:00 PM said:

any program allowing to save txt with unix formatting is fine, there should be a few :)
i don't like programmers notepad's ergonomy much, i'll look for the other ones :p
Notepad++ is what I use. Its really good.

god_at_hell posted on Oct 1 2006 at 10:57 AM said:
jmetal88 posted on Oct 1 2006 at 03:16 PM said:
It's supposed to be done with CPU speed 266, not 280.

it's irrelevant if the cpu-speed is 266mhz or 280mhz ... better ram-timings will provide a speedboost for both clocksettings.

@washo:
The timings only affect the RAM ... i don't know if this benchmark is a havy RAM-user ... if not, there can not be any big speed gain, 'cause there is no RAM-bottleneck.
That's the reason why gngeo should benefit relatively well, because gngeo uses the whole RAM.

I stand corrected.

god_at_hell posted on Oct 1 2006 at 06:29 AM said:
what's a little bit surprising is the fact, that i released the version with ram-tuning options 3 months ago ... and now the people discover this option o_O
I did this at release, but the performance improvement wasn't at all noticable, so I just never bothered with it again. The benefits in Gngeo seem nice though, I suppose I'll be using these settings in the future. 305 MHz + tighter RAM timings and a bit of playing with the 68K and Z80 clocks just might run games at 44100hz with 60fps.. :)

Shikaku posted on Oct 1 2006 at 01:48 PM said:
jmetal88 posted on Oct 1 2006 at 02:46 PM said:
Shikaku posted on Oct 1 2006 at 01:23 PM said:

Eh? :huh:

Pin this topic you silly pecker

Oh.
blush.gif

@Craig: Nice to hear that at last two persons (you and ED) were interested in my maximum settings, but you forgot one thing.

DO NOT FORGET:

tRC= 6 Only runs stable up to 266 MHz, above use tRC = 7

And if you are teh Hardcore. These run well for ppl with max 250 MHz:
tRAS = 3
tRP = 1

(If you have RAM which is 1:1 as my MK1 RAM is)

Emu&Co posted on Oct 1 2006 at 10:56 PM said:
@Craig: Nice to hear that at last two persons (you and ED) were interested in my maximum settings, but you forgot one thing.

DO NOT FORGET:

Errm... I use them with 290 MHz since a few months without any problems :huh:

Last edited:
Shikaku posted on Oct 2 2006 at 02:52 AM said:
Thank you ;) I supposed (wrongly) that internal OC option in NK´s SNES could affect in a negative way.

P.D:Sorry for my bad english

Emu&Co posted on Oct 1 2006 at 02:56 PM said:

DO NOT FORGET:

And if you are teh Hardcore. These run well for ppl with max 250 MHz:
tRAS = 3
tRP = 1

(If you have RAM which is 1:1 as my MK1 RAM is)

I imagine this will vary depending on system revision and the batch the MMSP2 and RAM are from-- hell, some units use different brands of RAM even.

Still cannot get this to work. This is the code made in Notepad++

Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe --upll --timing 1 --cpuclk 266 --trc 6 --tras 4 --twr 1 --tmrd 1 --trfc 1 --trp 2 --trcd 2
cd /mnt/sd/Games/snes/
./squidgesnes.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

Nvm i had to take the "!" out of "#!/bin/sh"

Holy crap that is a speed increase on SNES. In comparision I ran Bubsy (someone mentioned it earlier) at 280 on SquidgeSNES and it was ok not 100% but still playable. Now running with this at 266 its appears to be 100%. Never played it on PC or oginal but still nice enough to me.

Note, I applied this hack to the autorun.gpu and now games such as Beat2x will only play sound really really low, and volume limiter is off, and it works without the hack. Weird...

EDIT: NVM, it must have been a one time glitch.

Back