Emulators Speed Up Hack

I don't think DrMDx likes the hacks too much. I was playing Sonic 2, and I kept getting huge speed bursts during the special stages, but the fps counter still read 61. It also crashed in the second level of the Chemical Plant, just as I got a ring of boxes.

so can I do this as autorun and have it load GMenu2X and still have the hack applied to everything I launch from GMenu there on out

EvilDragon posted on Oct 1 2006 at 02:44 PM said:
I use it since months to have a fully playable FF6 with sound at 266MHz on my gp2x ;)

Mmhhh... You find about 10FPS fully playable? or I am missing something?

and btw, is it OK if I add the script in my autorun.gpu script?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lupin posted on Oct 2 2006 at 06:51 PM said:
so can I do this as autorun and have it load GMenu2X and still have the hack applied to everything I launch from GMenu there on out

That's what I did. I think it does just apply to everything then. It causes somethings to crash if you overclock to high though. You should be able to get similar performance from lower clockrate anyhow.

I use femamegp2x as a loader for mamegp2x. If I use the following script (Note: no clockspeed setting), will the ram settings be used, or will they be reset?

#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe --upll --timing 1 --trc 6 --tras 4 --twr 1 --tmrd 1 --trfc 1 --trp 2 --trcd 2
cd /mnt/sd/mamegp2x/
./femamegp2x.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

ste_167 posted on Oct 2 2006 at 09:49 PM said:
I use femamegp2x as a loader for mamegp2x. If I use the following script (Note: no clockspeed setting), will the ram settings be used, or will they be reset?

#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe --upll --timing 1 --trc 6 --tras 4 --twr 1 --tmrd 1 --trfc 1 --trp 2 --trcd 2
cd /mnt/sd/mamegp2x/
./femamegp2x.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

This should run... I don't touch the RAM settings... Any difference or improvement with such RAM settings???

Regards.

Just been playing on NK's Neo Geo CD Emu (Only way I can play Ironclad!) and I'm sure this takes off that last edge of jerkiness in the frameskip at 270MHz. Could be imagining things though... Anyone know if you can get this emu to show FPS?

The difference on Quake at 270 MHz is clear.

reiboul posted on Oct 2 2006 at 10:50 PM said:
EvilDragon posted on Oct 1 2006 at 02:44 PM said:
I use it since months to have a fully playable FF6 with sound at 266MHz on my gp2x ;)

Mmhhh... You find about 10FPS fully playable? or I am missing something?

Well, I can play it fullspeed with sound and a FS of about 2 or 3.
No problem with it :)

Last edited:
Franxis posted on Oct 2 2006 at 11:17 PM said:
This should run... I don't touch the RAM settings... Any difference or improvement with such RAM settings???

Difficult one to answer, the games run so well anyway! There isn't a FPS display to get a definitive answer, is there? (Will read Readme later to make sure!)

I leave the settings at 200Mhz for the sake of battery life, so if there is a chance that this smooths things up, I may as well use it.

ste_167 posted on Oct 3 2006 at 09:19 AM said:
Franxis posted on Oct 2 2006 at 11:17 PM said:

Difficult one to answer, the games run so well anyway! There isn't a FPS display to get a definitive answer, is there? (Will read Readme later to make sure!)

I leave the settings at 200Mhz for the sake of battery life, so if there is a chance that this smooths things up, I may as well use it.

Thanks for your answer, i will integrate the RAM settings in the next version (maybe a configuration file) and also the always needed fps frame counter, i'm occupied now in the sound core.

Franxis posted on Oct 3 2006 at 12:17 PM said:
Thanks for your answer, i will integrate the RAM settings in the next version (maybe a configuration file) and also the always needed fps frame counter, i'm occupied now in the sound core.

The more things to twiddle with, the better!

I wonder if we could get some optimal RAM settings for various clockspeeds decided in this thread, so that they can be hard-coded as a 'RAM Tweak On/Off' option?

How much do they differ? Is every unit different (just like OC potential), or can it be associated to the unit number or type (first edition/MK1/MK2).
Maybe a program could read out the unit serial number and use the right ram settings for that batch of units?

Edit: these settings seem to work fine on my first edition unit, and snes is quite a bit faster (super mario world is constant 60fps now)

Emu&Co posted on Oct 3 2006 at 03:18 PM said:
EvilDragon, Epicenter. I just wanted to mention that adding these RAM Settings to apps per default will be too much for some GP2X. :p
Oh, I know. I've adjusted RAM timings on my '2x and many PCs, it can cause instability like was mentioned earlier in DrMDx in this thread. It's always an iffy process.

Emu&Co posted on Oct 1 2006 at 04:56 PM said:
@Craig: Nice to hear that at last two persons (you and ED) were interested in my maximum settings, but you forgot one thing.

DO NOT FORGET:

tRC= 6 Only runs stable up to 266 MHz, above use tRC = 7

And if you are teh Hardcore. These run well for ppl with max 250 MHz:
tRAS = 3
tRP = 1

(If you have RAM which is 1:1 as my MK1 RAM is)
Ive got an MK1 and that crashes my gp2x, well doesn't crash but the LCD is all garbled green, and i can play anything fine, except I never see whats going on lol.

So, from what Ive read through on this forum, is it working with 1st Edition and MK2 but not MK1s? Or does it vary from unit to unit regardless of model?

I have a MK1 and just tried with Quake and SquidgeSnes. Quake crashed for me the first time áfter about 10 seconds, but the second time it went very nice for like 5 minutes (then i rebooted manually).

SquidgeSnes seems to be fine. Im playing Super Mario Kart at a nice fps rate right now, heh :)

Back