Emails To Me

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
Hello everyone,

This is just to say sorry for not replying to every email I've been sent in the last few months, there have been many good suggestions and also criticism, I have read them all. At the moment we just don't have time to get in to long email discussions, the best place to put ideas is on this forum itself so we can quickly answer and you can get scene feedback too!

Some generic Questions and answers:

*Can I make a pandora website for Italy/Spain/Brazil/Etc. or can I make the main Pandora website.

Yes you are very welcome to make fan sites (maybe you could even take emails and sell the pandora in the future?), the real pandora website will be online this month, once it is online we will be interested to see how you can pimp it up.

*I want to sell the Pandora in Italy/Spain/Brazil/etc.:

Due to the limited number of the first run (3000) we could only supply you with a minimal number of units. You are very welcome to take emails from your customers who want a pandora and then it is very likely we can supply you will large numbers from the batch after the first 3000, in this situation it will be a case of first distributors to order get their orders first.

*I am not in the UK/Ireland/Germany/USA/Canada/Middle east, can I buy a Pandora from the first 3000?

Yes, if you get your order in fast enough but you will have to pay for UPS shipping. It's unlikley we will ship to Africa or Asia without special arrangements.

*Please let me preorder now!

Preorders for the MK1 units (limited to 100) will be taking place quite soon, be aware that they will have to be self assembled in some cases, ie you will have to put the lcd and pcb in to the case etc. you will also have to give us feedback on the design and any problems you find. But on the flip side you get to have a system very early on and be part of this from the start. It won't be a GP2X MK1 'you're on you're own!' situation.

*I'm a dev can I have a PCB free?

In some cases yes, a lot of devs already know they are getting one. If you think you can be of help with the first version of the firmware and have experience please get in touch when we start the MK1 preorders.

*Is GPH/GP involved in this, is anyone in Korea involved?

No.

*Where are you getting your money from, prove you have the money to do this:

This is a project funded by the people involved. There are no loans etc. If you have a million dollars and want to invest we are of course happy to talk with you :) You're buying dinner though :)

*You should change the design to a PSP clone / your design is rubbish / you guys are idiots / this system is vaporware:

OK, well wait and see on that, emailing and telling us this without ever having seen the system / knowing anything about us is a little unfair. DaveC has a mockup system and thinks the control layout is nice.

*Can we use the Pandora PCB in another system, like a set top box?

Maybe, get in touch with us.

*I've made a GUI will you use it?

Show us a working version at 800*480 and we will take a look, or better yet post it here and let everyone try it.

That about covers it all I think, feel free to ask more questions along these lines in this thread and we can try to answer them here. I can edit this to add more Q&A.

Only my 2nd post to forums (as far as I can remember - although avid, regular reader). Have ordered a few bits from you before and was always impressed...just like to comment that its nice to see people trying new things for the home-brew community ... will try and save up enough to support you by buying something :) Makes it feel like the old days of programming the 8bits .... what I always loved, and still do about the homebrew communities.

Once again, good luck.

KLH

Pickle said:
If the first 3000 sell like hotcakes, I hope the second run wont be far behind.
Same here. Even if I have that kind of money, I really should use it towards a car...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to pre-order no. 101 !

On a more serious note. Nice thread, I hope we will see more details soon especially on timing.

A question regarding the gui: I see which one to use isn't decided yet, is there someone working on already or will you be waiting for a dev to make something and else sell it with a minimal gui?

Hello Craig,

First of all its great what you guys are doing! I have been following this project for several months now and even though I was first shocked by the design and I still think the mainstream people might would have to get used of it I can see now that the controls and layout are very well thought out and even those are a masterpiece in my opinion :D (numbers on top useful for fast weapon switching, easy keyboard for emulating old pc's etc).

But I was wondering about the financial aspect since you mentioned the project is entirely funded by the people involved but also mentioned investors would be welcome to talk. Are you planning on selling stock or bonds from the company in the near future, perhaps after the initial 3000 are sold? There might be enough people on this forum etc. who are willing to invest in the community when they actually see this project come alive. And you can sell 2-5 year bonds starting from 1000usd a piece, so it would be accesible for the average man.

This leads me to the next question. The consoles name is now known as Pandora, but have you allready decided about another important name.. The company's name offcourse :) I'm curious.

Greetings Marc

*I've made a GUI will you use it?

Show us a working version at 800*480 and we will take a look, or better yet post it here and let everyone try it.

Are you sure that's a good idea? Releasing the gui for all the people before the pandora is out?

For coding a gui one needs some information :D i.e: will the pandora be running an X11 server? with opengl (es) support?

The window manager will be a little tricky to show to you.

If someone code a gui and you like it and it's choosen as the official for the pandora, will he/she "win" something? I mean will be there a reward for him?

Preorders for the MK1 units (limited to 100) will be taking place quite soon, be aware that they will have to be self assembled in some cases, ie you will have to put the lcd and pcb in to the case etc. you will also have to give us feedback on the design and any problems you find. But on the flip side you get to have a system very early on and be part of this from the start. It won't be a GP2X MK1 'you're on you're own!' situation.

How much assembly are we looking at? Will we have to break out the soldering iron?

Quick Question:
Are only the first 100 Prototypes come out with a Aluminium case or all Pandora? ED mentioned, the Material of the Pandora case was changed from Plastic to Alu (YES!!! :) ) but I'm not sure, if this is just for the first batch of units or a general thing.

....ALUMINIUM....!!!!!!! B)

Hi Craig,
Do you have PMs disabled? I wanted to send you a message a while ago but it couldn't be delivered.

fusion_power said:
Quick Question:
Are only the first 100 Prototypes come out with a Aluminium case or all Pandora? ED mentioned, the Material of the Pandora case was changed from Plastic to Alu (YES!!! :) ) but I'm not sure, if this is just for the first batch of units or a general thing.

....ALUMINIUM....!!!!!!! B)
Sounds too good to be true! :eek:

Google Translate sez:

Nuuun whom it is interested:
The board is designed and ready just in production (five prototypes, should come next week), but since a few weeks on a DevBoard programmed.

Then, the first housing made of aluminum and 100 MK1 units, the heart and kidneys tested.

If the clean run, then there finished the first delivery of 3000 pieces.

We are approaching the end so much.

THE PANDORA IS A CYBORG

http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?t=5201&highlight=

the thought of ALUMINUM makes me feel tingly all over :) i would pay the extra for aluminum if needed ;)

I'd consider paying a little more for aluminium too. BUT, the devs will need to make sure the hot parts are insulated. Don't want the aluminium getting too warm to comfortably hold.

Zarneth said:
I'd consider paying a little more for aluminium too. BUT, the devs will need to make sure the hot parts are insulated. Don't want the aluminium getting too warm to comfortably hold.
Could serve as a nice hand warmer during the winter months. :p

An aluminium case would make it quite slippery and a bit difficult to grip/hold i`m sure, Wouldn`t it ?.

Trooper

Back