Release Effigy (PEF) emulator Frontend

found some new things:

- firmware/hotfix 5 is missing tlc therfor the mklist.tlc does not work

- can't get a game to run, when I try to run a game it tries to start but then return to the game selectscreen

when I quit effigy I see the following errors in my terminal:

ERR<3214>:elementary elm_entry.c:1639 elm_entry_entry_get() text=NULL

for edje 0x7243038, part 'elm.text'

maybe some missing library?

- You've mentioned that running a game with special characters or spaces in it does not work, I've encountered the same problem

when I was working with Wahcade I then solved it by modifying the pnd_run.sh script, but today I looked at the snes.sh script from the snes9x4p_20110310.pnd and modified it a little (mounting and unmounting of the snes9x.pnd file) and that seems to work with romnames with spaces and special charaters in it.

I've attached the file perhaps you can take a look at it and maybe it's something you can use.

grtz

Jordi

As far as your game issue is concerned are you running effigy from the script found at the root of the pnd or just clicking on the pnd? If you are It shouldn't have a problem launching. Which rom and emulator. Might shed light on the problem.

Yes the errors you're getting are from another missing library(rather a missing directory for an included library). I'm working on getting some of the once working input options back in order. As well as removing some of the options from certain sections to clean up the interface further.

What change did you make to the pnd_run.sh file that allowed for special characters and spaces? That would be a much better fix in the long run as apposed to you and I constantly fiddling with the emulators run_scripts. If doesn't screw compatibility I would suggest you put it up for patch submission.

I'll upload a new version tonight. If all goes as planned I'll have the scripts and the configs for the emus stored in the effigy folder in pandora/appdata nothing too surprising in them of course but since effigy only needs a select number of files to add the emulator and games it shouldn't be any trouble for others to add new their files.

I'll also add better output so that errors can be found and fixed faster.

did anyone try

"./$EXENAME $ARGUMENTS"

that way the exe is also included in the string? I'll try it here just for grins.

Nope doesn't work. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
How does it find emulators, do they need certain names or does it use MD5 Hashes, out of all my roms it only founf a hand ful of N64 games, ( i have snes,sms,psx etc) and when I try to launch it tries to open but then dumps back to selection screen.

How does it find emulators, do they need certain names or does it use MD5 Hashes, out of all my roms it only founf a hand ful of N64 games, ( i have snes,sms,psx etc) and when I try to launch it tries to open but then dumps back to selection screen.

The emulator maintainers are updating so quickly thatk MD5 Hashes are useless. It simply looks for the base name of the emulator on mmcblk*p*/pandora*/

I own all of 12 PSX games so I only have 12 md5sums for them. I was up most of the night with my baby boy last night so I didn't get the updated version uploaded. It has better emulator searching.

As far as your games are concerned. pnd_run.sh is very sensitive to spaces and special characters ! ? * , ~ ` [] {} () both in the roms and in the directories themselves. Sigma and I have been discussing the best way to work around the problem without having to rewrite the emulators run scripts.

My program should see them but that doesn't mean that the emulator will when it launches.

Here is a generic mklist.tcl script to make the rom list so that I can import them into the DB.

Yes it requires tcl but its a small addition to your nand and or linux computer.

Usage: ./mklist.tcl /full/path/to/roms system_name systems_base_year

it will create a game.list that you can upload here and I'll compare and include.

Also how many roms do you guys have on your systems? I thought I was being generous when I allowed for 9999 games in the database (hard limits make for faster scrolling/searching). But I've extended it to 29999.

Start your dumping.

mklist.tcl.zip

Attachments

• mklist.tcl.zip
    439 bytes · Views: 258
What about packing tcl into the PND and export PATH, then make a button in the frontend, that calls the script to update the roms?

The emulator maintainers are updating so quickly thatk MD5 Hashes are useless. It simply looks for the base name of the emulator on mmcblk*p*/pandora*/

I own all of 12 PSX games so I only have 12 md5sums for them. I was up most of the night with my baby boy last night so I didn't get the updated version uploaded. It has better emulator searching.

As far as your games are concerned. pnd_run.sh is very sensitive to spaces and special characters ! ? * , ~ ` [] {} () both in the roms and in the directories themselves. Sigma and I have been discussing the best way to work around the problem without having to rewrite the emulators run scripts.

My program should see them but that doesn't mean that the emulator will when it launches.
Ahh I see I thought you had sourced a set of md5 hashes from somewhere,

Thanks for the reply I understand more how it works, looking forward to your release.

What about packing tcl into the PND and export PATH, then make a button in the frontend, that calls the script to update the roms?

I thought about that... I'll see what I can do.

edit: I will first have to write a front end for the script which isn't that big of a deal but I have very little time as it stands. I don't plan on letting the end user update their databases...yet... The purpose of the program is to have a drag and drop like solution to emulators. If you have a DB that has twice as many files in it then I do then your experience will be better then mine. If everyone contributes to the central db via the afore mentioned script then we all benefit. However I had planed on implementing a way to upload the users augmented db files in the future but I wanted to see what the need was for it before pursuing. Apparently its needed so my pursuit is justified.

Cant get it working for me on a 64GB card. Will try a smaller card with less on it and report back...

This is awesome.

Looks great; touch controls work nicely! :)

The only problem I had was getting the rom images to work.

Every single one I tried so far keeps bumping back to the menu. :\

Rom recognition took forever; was scanning an hour or something.

Not all the files show up in the menu.

"Settings" button does nothing.

Running this from Hotfix5...

Questions for future updates:

*Would it be possible to specify exactly in which folders the roms are located in?

*It would be awesome if we could somehow assign the different file extensions to the different Emulators.

For example: - list all .gbc files under the Gameboy Color section and open it with the chosen Emulator pnd file...

*How about applying different Skins for the different file types? (If you hover over SNES then the SNES skin is loaded etc.)

Thanks for the great work; :)

Sorry Guys fell down a well and broke my leg. Had to eat my big toe while the fire department rescued me to keep my strength up....No wait that didn't happen.

I have been working on getting everyones issues solved. I've dumped the md5sum checking for now to speed up the scans. It will still be used for sorting but It will be user initiated in the future. I've been trying to solve the filename problem and I think I've come up with a solution but it wont make it in the next release which I'm finalizing now.

The interface design was the brain child of someone else. But I'm glad you like it.

I'm currently stress testing the new scanning routine. If it works then I have a few interface tweaks and then I'll re-release

Okay everyone heres a new version for you all. I have removed the md5sum checks, fixed/modified the settings dialog, started the control remap suggested by Gruso(currently buggy), effigy now stores the emulator scripts in pandora/appdata/effigy/scripts. Some of these scripts allow for spaces in the name others don't the fix is easy and will be included in the main program shortly so that the scripts can remain clean and easy to add. The animations in the interface can be laggy at times but I haven't optimized all the graphics yet so it will get better once I get everyone to a working state.

I'll edit the first post to reflect some of the interface changes.

Back