Release Forget Me Not - new shooter/maze game from Nyarla Labs

ZXDunny

Deep avatar
Hi all -

After having gained the source code to one of the best of this year's iOS games from Nyarla Labs, I have ported Forget Me Not to the Pandora.

You can grab the PND file here: http://repo.openpand...ot.zxdunny.2994

It's a lovely little maze-game where the objective is to gather all the little flowers before collecting the key and opening the exit to the next level. Whilst doing this, various bad guys will try and stop you, so shoot the crap out of them, or blow them up. Just be careful not to shoot yourself in the back!

It's fantastically addictive, so give it a try.

I've tried to tailor this port to the Pandora's controls, so they've changed somewhat from the original.

Press START to begin a one-player game, press "2" to start a 2 player game.

Player 1 uses the DPad to move, Player 2 uses the ABXY buttons.

Pressing START whilst in-game will pause, and a second press will resume the game. Press SELECT when paused to exit to the menu.

You can quit the game at the main menu with ESC (Fn+Q).

When entering scores, you can select letters with left/right, and change letters with up/down. Alternatively, you can use the keyboard to enter letters and numbers (no symbols) and ENTER to finish.

High scores are saved.

Pressing "O" on the title menu opens the options page - you can choose to disable sound if necessary, use chunky or non-chunky mode and change the size of the maps. I'd advise against using non-chunky mode with large maps unless you overclock heavily. The Pandora isn't as fast as an iPod touch or iPhone, and it struggles quite a lot with large busy maps. You have been warned.

Enjoy, and feedback either here or via PM :)

Edit: Many thanks to those who helped me get started with c++ in linux - Sebt3, Skeezix, _Aegis_, Hideki et al. You're all wonderful people.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome :)

It's really nice to see more and more ports from other systems coming :)

Thanks a lot :)

ooh looks indeed very nice, can't wait to try this, argh ED hurry up with the repairs! :)

In this port, he change the game system (SMFL -> SDL) and the sound system in less than, what ? 4 days ? impressive ;)

EDIT: beside some EGL/GLES issues... yep /me is impressed

In this port, he change the game system (SMFL -> SDL) and the sound system in less than, what ? 4 days ? impressive ;)

EDIT: beside some EGL/GLES issues... yep /me is impressed

Thanks Sebt3 - your help has been invaluable as always :)

to be honest, the port itself didn't take much work. however, I'm a Windows guy at heart and I've never worked with c++ before, so I had a lot to learn about how to build things. Anyway...

here's a small video about FMN to illustrate the gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NVQYGoN6IXM?feature=oembed

Even Rev. Stu Cambell loves it to death:

http://wosblog.podga...-last-16-hours/

TIGSource:

http://www.tigsource.../forget-me-not/

If you really want spoilers (I deliberately haven't written much about how to play the game - it's a voyage of discovery), then look here: here]http://www.gamefaqs....faqs/62334

and there are many others. This game is just mindblowingly deep, while maintaining that simplicity that pacman pioneered.

D.

Really impressive Dunny, only small thig: It shows up in "other" in the gamemenu, should be something like "arcade" maybe?

Ok, it is in arcade... Strange, as it was not there at first start ... Nevermind :)

Really liked this game on IOS, but wished for more tactile controls, so this port sounds great to me. I like seeing these ports of recent games, proves the little Pandora can hold it's weight against the bigger boys! ;)

this is amazing i kept asking nyarla for a pandora port :) annd dunny finally delivered that port :) cheers dunny and cheers nyarla for allowing a port to be done.

thanks to everyone inolved with the port.

ZXDunny you are an absolute star, this game is quite simply amazing on Pandora. Incredible work with the port. Absolutely loved it on PC, it really takes me back to the days of classic arcade games. That sense of discovery, the sound, the graphics are all incredibly evocative of those halcyon days.

If anyone is in my boat when I first played it on PC which was to immediately fall in love with it, play it for a few hours and think this is just too hard to make any real progress then wait until you discover :

The wall grinding mechanic, when you're grinding the wall your little 'man' will flash, 'his' movement speed increases and the shots become more powerful. Beware, you can have too much of a good thing though!

The fact that this runs a little slowly compared to the PC version is no bad thing IMHO, it actually makes the game more enjoyable to me.

I'm only half joking when I say that this should be included on the Nand as part of HF7 :p

Oh and to repeat myself from the VVVVVV thread : If you enjoy playing this on Pandora then why not drop a quick email of thanks to the developer for providing the source code for the port, you can find his email address on his website.

Yes, we should probably try to get more indie developers :)

I'll support them as good as I can :D

Regarding the overall "slightly slower than the PC version" issue - I think I've tracked this down, and it seems to be due to vsync on the Pandora. I'm not absolutely certain at the moment, but it seems that PC refreshes may well be higher than the Pandora's refresh and the game times itself to the "vertical blank" if such a thing actually exists on LCD displays. Later levels in non-chunky mode slow down purely because the Panda can't keep up with so many objects being drawn as well as an iPhone 3 can.

I'll delve back into the source soon and see if I can't make some optimisations - I have a couple of issues to fix.

I can't believe that after all the noise I made about Pandora control compatibility, I failed to notice that player one is on DPAD (on the left) and player two is on ABXY (on the right), and the scores are on the opposite side of the screen.... :)

Also, keyboard score entry won't work in a 2 player game as both players get the keys pressed due to their entering scores at the same time. For two players, you'll have to use each player's controls to enter names rather than the keyboard.

And again, I cannot stress enough the amount of help (and non-help, you know who you are) I was given to port this - Sebt3's Yactfeau toolchain worked wonders once I understood how things ilke makefiles and linkers work. I would encourage anyone attempting a port for the first time to log into freenode IRC and join #openpandora - the guys there are excellent. Mostly.

D.

I can't believe that after all the noise I made about Pandora control compatibility, I failed to notice that player one is on DPAD (on the left) and player two is on ABXY (on the right), and the scores are on the opposite side of the screen.... :)

I was ready to point it out [revenge, revenge is mine :) ], but You already noticed it :) .

BTW. Using 'O' key- as option button isnt good idea..

overall its nice to have another indie game on OP.. and few new will come soon..

Back