E-ink Screen

I didn't say all. By using a small screen, you are killing the possibilities of ebook reading, RSS reading, email and SMS reading, and possibly even web browsing among others
Seriously? but you will have practically zero controls for webbrowsing or anything. Unless you are still championing touch on it? Which I think is daft, because having touch screens on both sides of the lid is going to be tricky to use.
You have 4 buttons on the outside that you can easily use to control functions in all of those apps except for the web browser. (Email/SMS: next, prev, scroll up, scroll down; ebooks: next, prev, bookmark; RSS reading: next, prev, scroll up, scroll down)

I said "possibly" web browsing specifically to include the possibility of touch on it. Also, how would having a touchscreen on both sides of the lid make it tricky to use?

Besides, my idea was for notifications, not full blown use - you might as well open the Pandora for that and use the proper screen
 Not at all, the e-ink screen wastes a lot less power, if we can delegate many reading tasks to that screen, we increase the battery life for those who use it by a large margin. Remember, the LCD is one of the largest power sinks in an electronic device. Not to mention, Using e-ink to read is better outside and less of a strain on your eyes for long periods of time. Also, reading is more suited for portrait otherwise your eyes have to move back and forth a lot, and holding a clamshell device sideways is just asking to drop it. This is why I don't do any reading on my Pandora.

I think I would use a large e-Ink screen quite a lot. I don't use my Sony eReader a lot. Why? Because software is crappy and it would be a pain in the ass to even try and make something better myself. I don't buy another eReader because I'm pretty sure they aren't much better.

But if I had an entire Linux controlling a nice e-Ink screen I think even I would be able to make some eReader app which is better than Sony's one.
 Exactly. With this being a much more open system than any eReader currently on the market, the Pyra would be in a much better position to support more formats and rapidly add features.

@_wb_ How exactly do you hold your pandora that you would be able to view the front of the unit while typing on the keyboard? When I'm typing on the pandora the front of the unit is facing down and is out of my sight. Additionally If I understand you correctly you expect this display to be to thee left of the SD cards, an area which is normally obscured by the base of my thumb while thumb typing even if I could somehow see it.

I don't see it as being viable for IRC or a command line either at the size it would need to be to fit in that space.

Seriously I don't see it being practical to use such secondary display and the keyboard at the same time anyway, so to my way of thinking it makes the most sense to put it on the top of the lid, where it can be used for simple functions that can be controlled by the shoulder buttons, and also be big enough to be useful for something like displaying the contents of an ebook.

- Neelix
Agreed.

-God Ginrai

Just responding to say I love the idea of an 4--5" e-ink display on the back of the lid. It would be great for reading e-books. I'd pay an extra £80 or so for a Pyra with that feature.

I don't see it as really worth the headache.. it's another design challenge and another point of failure in an already complex design.

I don't see it as really worth the headache.. it's another design challenge and another point of failure in an already complex design.
Except that unlike all the other requested features, (camera, pico projector, tripod stand) this one has countless options that it opens up, thus making it worth pursuing.

-God Ginrai

@_wb_ How exactly do you hold your pandora that you would be able to view the front of the unit while typing on the keyboard? When I'm typing on the pandora the front of the unit is facing down and is out of my sight. Additionally If I understand you correctly you expect this display to be to thee left of the SD cards, an area which is normally obscured by the base of my thumb while thumb typing even if I could somehow see it.
I would put it in the middle, with SD slots on the sides. I expect the Pyra hinge to allow less than 180 degree lid openings. And I would make that edge of the base slightly angled.

I would put it in the middle, with SD slots on the sides. I expect the Pyra hinge to allow less than 180 degree lid openings. And I would make that edge of the base slightly angled.
That would still be below your field of view unless you hold your handheld stretched away from you like an old person trying to read a menu.

Also, if you move the SD slots to the sides, then you're either screwing over left-handed or right-handed users. (or both) When replacing SD cards, if you grip with your dominant hand and try to insert with your non-dominant hand, then you risk fumbling and dropping your Pyra. With the SD slots on the bottom, however, you can always grip with your non-dominant hand and insert with your dominant hand, regardless of left- or right-handedness.

-God Ginrai

Except that unlike all the other requested features, (camera, pico projector, tripod stand) this one has countless options that it opens up, thus making it worth pursuing.

-God Ginrai
Well I don't really see it opening up much more than a Camera or Pico Projector.. But hey that's my opinion and man do people have opinions here.

-God Ginrai
Well I don't really see it opening up much more than a Camera or Pico Projector.. But hey that's my opinion and man do people have opinions here.
I have nothing against either the camera or the Pico projector, but as for each, I'm not sure how you can see them having more options.

The Pico projector is all the same features of TV-out, so the only new options are:

• Cordless
  • Scaling Screen size
  • Project your screen anywhere w/o accessories required
That's only 3 new options, much less than the e-ink screen would add. Not to mention, some of the given features of TV-out that it replicates actually are less useful on a pico projector. (ie: using the Pyra as a controller while projecting would make the screen wobble)
As for a Camera, the options added are:

• Taking Pictures
  • Shooting Video
  • Video conferencing/chat with a user-facing camera
  • Augmented Reality
  • Reading barcodes/QR codes
This is certainly more options than the Pico Projector, however it is still much less than the e-ink screen provides.
I'd like to point out, this argument is not an argument against having a camera or a pico projector. I'm just using them to help support my argument for e-ink.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
I think any of these things including e-ink is just adding more on ED/GTA04 plate design wise and adds other points of failure that could increase repair costs. The Camera to me while I wouldn't care about having it or not I do see it as a more beneficial device out of the bunch.

I think any of these things including e-ink is just adding more on ED/GTA04 plate design wise and adds other points of failure that could increase repair costs. The Camera to me while I wouldn't care about having it or not I do see it as a more beneficial device out of the bunch.
I'm not sure how it would increase repair costs, since the e-ink screen is less likely to need to be replaced than the LCD is...

We really need EvilDragon and GTA04 to weigh in with their thoughts on the subject.

I've seen comments here from certain users about being willing to pay 80 Euros or 80 pounds for the e-ink screen. I know I would also be willing to pay a decent amount of money to include one. There certainly seems to be a demand for an e-ink screen, so it's only obvious that EvilDragon should consider it for inclusion into the Pyra.

-God Ginrai

That would still be below your field of view unless you hold your handheld stretched away from you like an old person trying to read a menu.

Also, if you move the SD slots to the sides, then you're either screwing over left-handed or right-handed users. (or both) When replacing SD cards, if you grip with your dominant hand and try to insert with your non-dominant hand, then you risk fumbling and dropping your Pyra. With the SD slots on the bottom, however, you can always grip with your non-dominant hand and insert with your dominant hand, regardless of left- or right-handedness.

-God Ginrai

Well I was a sports jock so I don't think that I'll be having any dexterity issues putting an SD card into a slot

-God Ginrai

Well I was a sports jock so I don't think that I'll be having any dexterity issues putting an SD card into a slot
I have good hand dexterity and I still wouldn't want to try inserting a card into a SD card slot while holding it with my right hand.

-God Ginrai

-God Ginrai

I have good hand dexterity and I still wouldn't want to try inserting a card into a SD card slot while holding it with my right hand.

-God Ginrai
I would. I think if you can't insert an SD card into a slot with your non-dominant hand then you are seriously unbalanced and should maybe try to practice a little.

I'm clearly right handed, but can still use my left hand to write if it needs to be (say if I would break my right hand, then I wouldn't be completely screwed up, I think within a few weeks of practice I would be almost as fast writing left handedly as with my right hand, though it would still look less pretty. But after all I have a lot more than a few weeks of practice writing with my right hand).

Edit: My opinion is of course based on anecdotal evidence (as is yours, it seems), so really we would need to find a study investigating left/right handedness.

-God Ginrai

-God Ginrai
I would. I think if you can't insert an SD card into a slot with your non-dominant hand then you are seriously unbalanced and should maybe try to practice a little.

I'm clearly right handed, but can still use my left hand to write if it needs to be (say if I would break my right hand, then I wouldn't be completely screwed up, I think within a few weeks of practice I would be almost as fast writing left handedly as with my right hand, though it would still look less pretty. But after all I have a lot more than a few weeks of practice writing with my right hand).

Edit: My opinion is of course based on anecdotal evidence (as is yours, it seems), so really we would need to find a study investigating left/right handedness.

I'll bow out of this conversation since I'm obviously pretty masterful.  I'd just hope that someone who can't manage an SD card with their off hand isn't trying to play any sort of old-school ultra difficult Japanese made Nintendo games.  Some of those games make SD card insertion seem trivial in comparison.

I'll bow out of this conversation since I'm obviously pretty masterful.  I'd just hope that someone who can't manage an SD card with their off hand isn't trying to play any sort of old-school ultra difficult Japanese made Nintendo games.  Some of those games make SD card insertion seem trivial in comparison.
It's honestly not a matter of being able to hit the slot with the card. The slot requires force to get it to click in. If your hand slips, *whoosh*, there goes your handheld, due to releasing the tension suddenly.

-God Ginrai

I think $40/40 euros is the highest we need to go for one. If it does video, you chat with a rear camera.

I was talking about moving the SD slots to the sides of the front, in order to make room for a small e-ink display in the middle of the front. Not that I have a problem with moving them to the sides of the base itself, just wanted to clarify what I originally meant.

I was talking about moving the SD slots to the sides of the front, in order to make room for a small e-ink display in the middle of the front. Not that I have a problem with moving them to the sides of the base itself, just wanted to clarify what I originally meant.
Ah, ok, then the problem I mentioned is less likely to happen. However, there is still a usability concern because it requires more effort to get out both SD cards if you're replacing both, since they are no longer right next to each other.

-God Ginrai

Back