E-ink Screen

You complain that I can't come up with enough useful uses for an extra display, yet you want a big one just to be able to use a nice big font and an analog clock? Hrm.

I don't really object to having a large e-ink screen on the back of the panel, but I think it's overkill if it's just for status info, would be more useful if it was also visible while using the Pyra, and if it increases the Pyra price by roughly the same amount as the cost of a cheap mass-produced e-reader...
If you want a small screen, why not to take a 16x2 LCD then?

Powersaving? Press-To-View?

It would be times cheaper if Pyra (Or any pandora) was ever about being cheap

Let me tell you, e-ink screen on the lid so that you can change the lid's aspect everytime you want, is what the ultimate geek toy should be able to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind the end price increase will probably be something like <parts cost>*2.

I would be willing to pay $50 for a 5" or at least 4.3" high resolution e-Ink screen. This means <$25 parts costs and is certainly impossible.

More than that? Maybe. I don't know. Yes, probably I would pay $100 more if it was a really good screen. But that's a large chunk of money and I don't think the majority would be willing to give it.

But screens in general are really expensive, so I don't know whether it's a good idea. If you go for it, then I think it should use the whole space and have a capacitive touch screen (because only then it becomes /really/ useful. Capacitive because that works without bezels and through very hard glass).

I know that e-ink cost $35 in 2011 so it is cheaper now. Even more if that chinese brand is chosen.

You complain that I can't come up with enough useful uses for an extra display, yet you want a big one just to be able to use a nice big font and an analog clock? Hrm.
 No, you're ignoring all of my other posts. I was addressing the fact that even time and date benefitted from a larger display. Specifically, my most wanted features for this would be for reading ebooks and RSS feeds. And I know that if we get one of these screens, the first thing I'll be doing is looking into either porting BakaReader EX to the device so I can use it with that screen, or writing my own app that does the same thing.

I don't really object to having a large e-ink screen on the back of the panel, but I think it's overkill if it's just for status info, would be more useful if it was also visible while using the Pyra, and if it increases the Pyra price by roughly the same amount as the cost of a cheap mass-produced e-reader...
This would not be just for status information. There are plenty of things we can use it for. I've mentioned RSS, ebooks, possible comics. And if it has a capacitive touch screen, then say, the media player display could have touch buttons that allow you to toggle shuffle and EQ settings for example.

Neat idea I just thought of: Applications could have badges that show up on the e-ink screen while you are using them. While this won't be seen by you while you are playing your games, it can be seen by others and would make a neat talking point. For example, you could be playing DraStic, and it displays the Nintendo DS logo or a DraStic logo on the back. Or someone could come up and ask you "wow, what's the Quake logo doing there?".

-God Ginrai

Size, resolution, contrast, refresh time?
It was a common quality at that time, the smaller size for a reader so 5 or 6 inch.

I just have to chip in to this conversation to show that I, as well, am highly interested in this idea. It just feels so right for this kind of electronic device, to have such a feature. It would also be a creative first with a clamshell with E-ink secondary screen! Very cool, and useful, indeed. I would probably pay up to about 80€ extra for this function, easily, but I would like to add that with such a cost (or even close) it would probably make more sense with a Pyra version without it existing as well for purchase. Surely not everyone is so eager as me to throw money at something they regard as a gimmick.

Speaking of the DS. Should the Pyra have its own "StreetPass"? :p

No, you're ignoring all of my other posts. I was addressing the fact that even time and date benefitted from a larger display. Specifically, my most wanted features for this would be for reading ebooks and RSS feeds. And I know that if we get one of these screens, the first thing I'll be doing is looking into either porting BakaReader EX to the device so I can use it with that screen, or writing my own app that does the same thing.

This would not be just for status information. There are plenty of things we can use it for. I've mentioned RSS, ebooks, possible comics. And if it has a capacitive touch screen, then say, the media player display could have touch buttons that allow you to toggle shuffle and EQ settings for example.

Neat idea I just thought of: Applications could have badges that show up on the e-ink screen while you are using them. While this won't be seen by you while you are playing your games, it can be seen by others and would make a neat talking point. For example, you could be playing DraStic, and it displays the Nintendo DS logo or a DraStic logo on the back. Or someone could come up and ask you "wow, what's the Quake logo doing there?".

-God Ginrai
But if I'm watching something goofy on the internet....  ;)

I think a big e-ink screen on the back of the lid would be quite frustrating to me, since you wouldn't be able to use the keyboard, game controls and accurate touch with it -- while those are exactly what define the Pandora/Pyra. So it would be like having a pyra plus a small separate black&white tablet/e-reader, but you can't use both at the same time, and you can't use the Pyra as a BT keyboard/controller for the tablet. And it is probably more expensive than buying the tablet and Pyra separately.

I still prefer a small, cheap, low-power sunlight-visible screen somewhere where it can be used with the lid open and closed.

I think both options should be investigated.

My preference is to have it on the lid, even if it's a small one.

My biggest thrill would be creating custom graphics to personalize my Pyra.

I don't think it should have touch, that adds another layer and increases cost. The shoulder buttons should be fine for navigation... and with key combos there shouldn't be a problem controlling a music player as well as the display.

I got really excited about this idea because often I'm in a situation where I don't want to open the lid. Being able to read forum posts and an ebook or text file knowing that I'm not even impacting the battery is a great plus for me.

And yes, I have read entire books on really tiny screens before - thinking of my long dead HTC Wing.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk 4

I wouldn't want a big screen, maybe just something 1-2", just enough to drop out a few bits. But I would prefer it on the outside of the lid - there's already a 1080 display on the inside, and what I can't fit on the screen, I can log in a file.

I see this only as a way to view quick details when the lid is shut (ie, current MP3, calendar events, PND Manager download status).

I think a big e-ink screen on the back of the lid would be quite frustrating to me, since you wouldn't be able to use the keyboard, game controls and accurate touch with it -- while those are exactly what define the Pandora/Pyra. So it would be like having a pyra plus a small separate black&white tablet/e-reader, but you can't use both at the same time, and you can't use the Pyra as a BT keyboard/controller for the tablet. And it is probably more expensive than buying the tablet and Pyra separately.
 You don't need the gaming buttons or the keyboard for that. And the front-mounted screen you are suggesting would be so small there would be nothing that would made sense to use the game buttons and keyboard with on it. This is for being able to read things, personalize your Pyra, or notifications that need to be easily accessible. You also wouldn't need accurate touch like resistive anyway for an e-ink screen. The screen would be large enough that you can make buttons the size that capacitive likes. Also, unlike buying a separate eReader, the Pyra would be open and have a good community, which means better options and support.

I still prefer a small, cheap, low-power sunlight-visible screen somewhere where it can be used with the lid open and closed.
 Which is next to useless compared to a screen on the back.

My biggest thrill would be creating custom graphics to personalize my Pyra.
Yes, I would love to do this, too. And I think it's a great idea to give users a way to add their own personal touch to their Pyra.

I don't think it should have touch, that adds another layer and increases cost. The shoulder buttons should be fine for navigation... and with key combos there shouldn't be a problem controlling a music player as well as the display.
I'm fine with it without touch, however, by giving it a capacitive touchscreen, you vastly increase the possibilities for it. If possible, I would prefer it with touch.

I got really excited about this idea because often I'm in a situation where I don't want to open the lid. Being able to read forum posts and an ebook or text file knowing that I'm not even impacting the battery is a great plus for me.
Exactly. And for me, I would prefer to read it on the e-ink screen than to open the lid simply because e-ink is much nicer to read on.

And yes, I have read entire books on really tiny screens before - thinking of my long dead HTC Wing.
 Never heard of the HTC wing, but I've been dying for something to read my ebooks on ever since I stopped using my Droid 3.

I wouldn't want a big screen, maybe just something 1-2", just enough to drop out a few bits. But I would prefer it on the outside of the lid - there's already a 1080 display on the inside, and what I can't fit on the screen, I can log in a file.

I see this only as a way to view quick details when the lid is shut (ie, current MP3, calendar events, PND Manager download status).
You kill the possibilities by using a small screen. There's so much more that can be gained from using the large screen.

-God Ginrai

I want it on the outside too, just preferably not on the back of the lid, but rather in the front of the base, where the SD slots of the Pandora are, at a slight upwards angle so you can read it when holding it as a handheld, when it is on a table, and when the lid is closed.

You kill the possibilities by using a small screen. There's so much more that can be gained from using the large screen
You don't kill all the possibilities. All the points I mentioned are still possible.

I want it on the outside too, just preferably not on the back of the lid, but rather in the front of the base, where the SD slots of the Pandora are, at a slight upwards angle so you can read it when holding it as a handheld, when it is on a table, and when the lid is closed.
That's just infeasible though - The front of the Pandora is already "full", and I don't think ED plans on moving the SD card slots etc.

Not only would putting it on the front of the base take up valuable space needed by the other components that need to reach the outside, but angling it up would allow the lid to cast a shadow over it making it hard to read.

You kill the possibilities by using a small screen. There's so much more that can be gained from using the large screen
You don't kill all the possibilities. All the points I mentioned are still possible.
I didn't say all. By using a small screen, you are killing the possibilities of ebook reading, RSS reading, email and SMS reading, and possibly even web browsing among others.

-God Ginrai

Back