Durability?

PoisonedV

Yeah, I'm a GIRL gamer, what of it?
Website
Visit site
I try not to be a forum-ettiquite ignorant noob, and I used the magic search fucntion, but is there any word from the developers on the durability? I mean, it looks very durable, but that's just me automatically assosciated that with the square design. If I remember, there was quite a bit of varying durability in GP32/X's, some would break easy and others would hold up well.

totally stupid thread for totally obvious reasons, sorry.

You actually took the time to login to post an answer like that ?.
Well, That was kind and helpful of you.
If your future answers or comments are going to be anything like
the one above, Save yourself and everyone else`s time and
don`t bother.

Trooper

Well Craig and Co. are not GP or GPH - they care about their product. They will make it well.

Nonetheless - if the specs are right - the Pandora will be very close to the dimensions of the DS Lite - only a little smaller. (DSL - 148.7x84.7x28.9 mm - GPH - 140x83x27 mm) So I'm going to put it in a DS Lite Nerf Armor just in case. :)

mison said:
totally stupid thread for totally obvious reasons, sorry.
Totally stupid response for totally obvious reasons, sorry.

Thanks for the reply, chad. The pandora obviosuly seems to have a bit (understatement) more love and care put into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this thread is legitimate. Craigix hasn't taken a clear stand on durability. The obvious fact is that Cragix and Co. won't release something that breaks easily.

I think the question is, how far are they going to ensure durability? Correct me if I'm wrong PoisonedV(enom?).

javaJake said:
I think this thread is legitimate. Craigix hasn't taken a clear stand on durability. The obvious fact is that Cragix and Co. won't release something that breaks easily.

I think the question is, how far are they going to ensure durability? Correct me if I'm wrong PoisonedV(enom?).
Yes, thats basically it.
By the way. it was originally 'Vigilante' but limitations on username size and getting tired of typing the full thing has long since removed any evidence of that.

chad78 said:
Well Craig and Co. are not GP or GPH - they care about their product. They will make it well.

Nonetheless - if the specs are right - the Pandora will be very close to the dimensions of the DS Lite - only a little smaller. (DSL - 148.7x84.7x28.9 mm - GPH - 140x83x27 mm) So I'm going to put it in a DS Lite Nerf Armor just in case. :)

That's the dimensions for the DS Phat you got there. The DS lite is 133 mm × 73.9 mm × 21.5 mm, which means it's slightly smaller than the Pandora. But maybe you can modify the nerf Armor to fit since it's made out of foam?

Eolair said:
That's the dimensions for the DS Phat you got there. The DS lite is 133 mm × 73.9 mm × 21.5 mm, which means it's slightly smaller than the Pandora.

That's good to know. I'll update the comparison chart. Do you have a source I can list for that?

But maybe you can stretch/cut the Nerf Armor to fit since it's made out of foam?

Well, the protective part is made of foam - but the skeleton/frame that hold it together is hard plastic. It's still possible, but not as likely.

There is an existing thread on the subject, but since the word "durability" doesn't actually show up in any of the posts, I can see how the search would have missed it.

I think, durability is one important factor of a mobile device (at least for me). It is not the most important factor but I will always prefer stable, durable things. (living in a BUNKER instead of a House or so :lol:)

I'm sure the pandora is a rugged Device, maybe some small Design changes make it even more durable. "FULL RUGGEDIZED" is the magic word. :D

http://www.ruggednotebooks.com/aboutus.asp
all this stuff looks undestructable just by first sight, I love it!...OK, they will never win a Design Price like a Mac Book or so but tastes are different. ^_^
EDIT: Wow, I've never seen a full rugged PDA, cool:
http://www.ruggednotebooks.com/detail/Recon_Nomad.asp
XScale Processor, Ok. Holding this horizontaly and imaging a good D-Pad....hm....playing a Mega Drive Emu under water? ^_^

Well it is a slightly strange subject for a thread. Even if the Pandora was going to be built as cheaply and crappily as possible (no, I don't think it actually will be), would you really expect them to come out and say so?

fishybawb said:
Well it is a slightly strange subject for a thread. Even if the Pandora was going to be built as cheaply and crappily as possible (no, I don't think it actually will be), would you really expect them to come out and say so?
They already have most everybody considering buying one, and even if it was their product, I would expect them to be at least relatively honest- they are pretty close to the community, right?

PoisonedV said:
fishybawb said:
They already have most everybody considering buying one, and even if it was their product, I would expect them to be at least relatively honest- they are pretty close to the community, right?

You'd hope they would, but then again, they are trying to sell a product. The GP2X has been dubiously marketed in the past (present?) :)

I don't understand why people are saying Craig etc. won't release something that breaks easily? Almost all products put on the market are intended to be durable, it's just that many manufacturers simply don't manage it. It's not like designers just go, fuck it, we'll give it a d-pad that breaks in about 10 minutes- most companies do want to create a quality product and although craigix intends for the pandora to be super strong, things do go wrong that are way beyond the creators control. And given the budget the Pandora has to be worked with, the testing might not (I'm assuming) be anywhere near Sony or Nintendo's standards so there's every change that durability and quality control may be an issue.

chad78 said:
How can you say that either of the 2 above companies didn't care about their product since you never owned either?

The GP32 was a very solid piece of kit - very well built for such a small production run. The GP2X was certainly not built anywhere near as well as the GP32, but GPH are still supporting it with new Firmware releases as well as new models. Let's not forget that they also took a lot of community ideas on board and incorporated them into their final product.

I think that the original question is certainly worthy of discussion, biggest concern for me is such a limited production run will surely mean we can't expect quality levels to be up there with the big players. As long as it surpasses GP2X's standards and comes close to the GP32, i'll be very happy.

Guys, you forget one important thing; that DaveC is onboard on this project, and he's the most notorious nitpicking perfectionist of them all (I say that with respect btw). I don't think he'd be happy with a Pandora of sub standard quality, and as long as we can get his seal of approval I will be pretty confident of the quality.
davecgl3.png

chad78 said:
BTW - I love your GP3X designs.
Thank you. They were some of the early design suggestions I did for the Pandora, way back when it was still an unnamed shapeless idea :D

i remember one of the devs saying something about there not being much room inside the case because they plan on making it as solid as possible... i have no idea where this topic is tho, and it was a while ago.
regardless, the only part im a little concerned about durability with would be the screen (im always concerned about those tho).

Snu said:
i remember one of the devs saying something about there not being much room inside the case because they plan on making it as solid as possible... i have no idea where this topic is tho, and it was a while ago.
Yep, I can back you up on that vague recollection. :lol: I remember it too. Case strength was definitely being taken into consideration.

Back