Release Dungeon Keeper PND for the GOG Version

Just curious, how come this game needs to run thru Qmu?  Why can't it be implemented the way Freespace games ptitSeb and others have done?

Just curious, how come this game needs to run thru Qmu?  Why can't it be implemented the way Freespace games ptitSeb and others have done?
The code was opensource'd for Freespace / Freespace 2 and was ported natively to the Pandora.  Dungeon Keeper Gold is an old DOS game and the code was never released.. This uses Qemu and freedos, I assume DOSBOX could work as well if configured properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
The code was opensource'd for Freespace / Freespace 2 and was ported natively to the Pandora.  Dungeon Keeper Gold is an old DOS game and the code was never released.. This uses Qemu and freedos, I assume DOSBOX could work as well if configured properly.
Ah!  Thanks!

I never tested Dosbox with it on the Pandora but most People say that this is

one of the Games who runs better in Qemu than Dosbox ;)

I never tested Dosbox with it on the Pandora but most People say that this is

one of the Games who runs better in Qemu than Dosbox ;)
[citation needed]

- Neelix
Dont understand this,is this anything ironic or so?

Google translate me this rubbish too...

...yeah yeah my bad English again :rolleyes:

And News:

I added Link for the Game ans actual Prices from GOG for People who want to buy Dungeon Keeper ;)

You can buy the Game by GOG here:

http://www.gog.com/game/dungeon_keeper

actual Price:

2,39 Dollar or

1,73 Euro or

1,42 GBP

I think Neelix was commenting on your statement that Qemu w/freedos runs faster than Dosbox.. as there currently hasn't been too many tests on it.

^ Exactly.

@ingoreis You stated that "People say that this is one of the Games who runs better in Qemu than Dosbox" 

Which people? and can you link to where they said it?  

I'm trying to determine if you're just saying that because you prefer Qemu or if there is actual evidence that the game runs faster under Qemu. (even if it is just anecdotal evidence)

- Neelix

I have it (classic dos version with CD image) running under Dosbox, but it runs too slowly, even on 900Mhz. The Pandora doesn't have enough power to emulate 486/586 systems properly.
from here: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/16083-dungeon-keeper-on-qmenu/?p=329080/URL]

I have/had no idea about that ^^

All I can tell you is that the games that I m running within qemu are way more playable / experienced faster compared to the DosBox installations of the games.

As I have written above .. maybe that has to do something with the lack of knowledge how to set up DosBOX in Detail.

EDIT : Did you ever manage to get Dungeon Keeper running within DosBox at a satisfiable framerate yet ? cO
from here: from here: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/12445-whatever-happened-to-dosbox-for-pandora/?p=234071/URL]

and here is a Video who it runs on a CC/Rebirth Pandora with 840 MHZ clocked :D

https://www.youtube.com/embed/f88qejctOEM?feature=oembed

But note that many Games are faster in Dosbox than Qemu too...

...it belongs to the Game itself ;)

Some are with Qemu faster and some with Dosxox ^_^

Just to throw in my own experiences regarding the speed differences between this qemu powered version and the dosbox version, on my ghz pandora I'm not noticing any major speed improvements for Dungeon Keeper and even feel the loading times might be a bit longer on this PND version (just a gut feeling), though maybe this isn't true for other models.  Personally though, I think I'm sticking with Dosbox for the time being, primarily due to the lack of sound issues there (sound on this PND is garbled on occasion, which is imho way more annoying) as well as that version feeling a bit more stable at the time of writing. Having said that I do feel this is a good effort, it's always good to see more/simpler methods for playing classic games and maybe this PND version will get improved in future. Should anyone want me to, I can look into making an actual side by side comparisson video later this week.

Having said that, should anyone wish to play this PND version using data from the old retail discs, here's how:
- install DK, full install, to anywhere on your computer, Optionally you can also install deeper dungeons
- Copy the folders from the KEEPER folder on your disc to the directory you installed DK to, overwriting double files should not be needed, so the filestructure looks like this:

DATA
                             LDATA
                            LEVELS
                           SAVE
                           SOUND
                           keeper.exe
                          dos4gw.exe
                           keeper.conf
                           deeper.exe (should you have installed deeper dungeons)
- copy the contents of your installation directory to the keeperdata folder as if it where the gog version,  WITH EXEPTION OF THE KEEPER CONFIG FILE (the one provided by the PND is correctly configured)

Hope that helps.

This Howto is awesome,many THX from me.

I will add it in a Spoiler to the First Post this Evening.

Thank you for Writing this Howto here in ;)

Back