Drmdx

ehh to hell with it i've had a few and have a question on the updates for this program regarding reimplimenting the features removed when porting from gp32 to gp2x
key combos, etc.
Reesy, i remember discussing on IRC about this.

drink

Don't worry I'll get around to it at some point, working on SquidgeSnes at the moment. I have implemented quad buffering in the DrMD menu though, this will mean it should not flicker on earlier firmwares ( That should make DaveC happy ), I can't release it yet though because I'm using the latest version of DrZ80 and I need to fix the save states which need to be changed to support the new z80 core.

Reesy posted on Apr 3 2006 at 02:07 PM said:
( That should make DaveC happy )

(Just giving Dave a hard time)

You’re making the assumption that anything can make make Dave happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC? Happy?

Those two words can never enter the same sentence unless there is some form of negative on happy or DaveC.

EDIT: Oh shit, I just realised the irony of that last sentence.

Reesy posted on Apr 3 2006 at 03:07 PM said:
Don't worry I'll get around to it at some point, working on SquidgeSnes at the moment. I have implemented quad buffering in the DrMD menu though, this will mean it should not flicker on earlier firmwares ( That should make DaveC happy ), I can't release it yet though because I'm using the latest version of DrZ80 and I need to fix the save states which need to be changed to support the new z80 core.

I hope TV-out support is on the list too for whenever the new version comes out. That to me is more important than any new feature.

nickspoon posted on Apr 3 2006 at 02:38 PM said:
DaveC? Happy?

Those two words can never enter the same sentence unless there is some form of negative on happy or DaveC.

EDIT: Oh shit, I just realised the irony of that last sentence.

Nope, no irony.

"Never" is a negative. :)

just one word about my little sd card problem:

it appears that my transcend 2go 80x sd card was indeed responsible for the save/load state bug i encountered on Drmdx... to bad.

can anyone with the same card confirm this ?

New version of Drmdx running with the latest version of drz80 ?
i suspect we will soon have perfect genesis emulation with sound and framerate 0 :p
sounds good !

baalim posted on Apr 4 2006 at 01:58 PM said:
i suspect we will soon have perfect genesis emulation with sound and framerate 0  :p
sounds good !

Only perfect if the various graphic bugs get fixed - quite a few games that I've tried have problems.

For example:
Mercs, Fire Shark, Grindstormer, Vapor Trail, Herzog Zwei, Slap Fight, Raiden Trad etc. have missing graphics (status panels etc.).
Afterburner, F1 World Championship and Burning Fight have garbled/flashing graphics.
Gynoug and Busby have constantly cycling score displays.

I guess you're aware of these problems Reesy, are they fixable?

More than 512 ROMs would be nice too (although it's actually 510 max!)

TV Out is now fixed...well I think so anyway, for some reason I only get a black and white picture which I think is more to do with my S-Video to scart connector but at least the screen is now scaled correctly.

How many roms do you think the max amount should be, 2000? 3000? I think 3000 should be enough to cover it.

@trickytree: The bugs in the games could be a number of things like problems in the cyclone core, problems in DrZ80, problems in the genesis hardware emulation. Its very hard to track these types of problems done, if I can find the problem, I can usually fix it. At the moment I don't have enough free time to spend tracking problems down, so don't expect these problems to be fixed any time soon.

Reesy posted on Apr 4 2006 at 06:04 PM said:
How many roms do you think the max amount should be, 2000? 3000? I think 3000 should be enough to cover it.

@trickytree: The bugs in the games could be a number of things like problems in the cyclone core, problems in DrZ80, problems in the genesis hardware emulation.  Its very hard to track these types of problems done, if I can find the problem, I can usually fix it.  At the moment I don't have enough free time to spend tracking problems down, so don't expect these problems to be fixed any time soon.

3000 is good as a limit, I think there are over 5000 dumps but less than 1500 unique games.

I wasn't moaning with the bugs list, just giving information. ;)

I think the score cycling in Gynoug and Busby is a cyclone bug, as this happens in the PSP Megadrive emulator too.

The Afterburner one is odd, as I haven't seen it in any other game. Basically the screen glitches with character/tile-type graphics, as if something is wrong with the background emulation. Burning Force is another one-off, the screen cycles colours like mad! These don't happen in the PSP emu (or any PC-based emu).

The problems with the scrolling shooter games look like a missing graphics layer, particularly Herzog Zwei which only shows the background - no sprites. Other games don't have their status panels visible - except Grindstormer where the status panel scrolls with the main window (probably a different problem).

Hope this info is of some use, I appreciate you don't have much time - guess you got that 360? :p

I've just added the screen blitting functions to DrMD that Squidge uses in SquidgeSnes, this has improved performance by 5fps, not too bad. I've also fixed the save states, I may release a new version this evening if I get time.

Reesy posted on Apr 5 2006 at 07:15 AM said:
I've just added the screen blitting functions to DrMD that Squidge uses in SquidgeSnes, this has improved performance by 5fps, not too bad. I've also fixed the save states, I may release a new version this evening if I get time.
So I'll be getting 65 fps in most games soon then? :lol:

I love DrMD, but I have noticed the missing layers in games too. Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the eternal sun, for example, is unplayable.

If you ever feel like trying to find the cause I don't mind helping out, but I know you're busy and I don't know how much help I can be. Regardless, if there's any testing or anything I can do for you just let me know.

Was over/under clocking already added to DrMD?
I remember the last version only had a placeholder that said 200mhz in the menu, right?

Oh and back than you also promised a way to convert GP32 save games to the GP2X. Are you still planning to do something about that?

Thank you very much for your work on DrMD and Squidge's SNES emu!

@Julius: The cpu speed is fixed at the moment, if you can point me in the direction of some code to change the cpu speed then I'll sort it out.

I completely forgot about the GP32 saves, I'll have another look and see if this is possible still, if I was wise enough to increase the save state version number in the GP2X version I should still be able to do it.

EDIT: Just checked the code and I did not increase the version of the save state so I'll not be able to build this into the emulator. I could knock up a quick app to do it though, I'll try to do it when I get bored. Keep reminding me every few weeks though or I'll forget again.

Reesy posted on Apr 5 2006 at 08:28 AM said:
@Julius: The cpu speed is fixed at the moment, if you can point me in the direction of some code to change the cpu speed then I'll sort it out.

I completely forgot about the GP32 saves, I'll have another look and see if this is possible still, if I was wise enough to increase the save state version number in the GP2X version I should still be able to do it.

EDIT: Just checked the code and I did not increase the version of the save state so I'll not be able to build this into the emulator. I could knock up a quick app to do it though, I'll try to do it when I get bored. Keep reminding me every few weeks though or I'll forget again.

this is from http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/CPU_Frequency where it says "You use the IO-registers as usual to set the CPU".
as i haven't coded anything i can't vouch for its usefulness...

Code:
void hw_set_cpu(int speed)
{
	int m = 0;
	// Calculating the FPLL value from frequency is a bit complex
	// so we just use some known-to-work values instead.
	switch(speed)
	{
	case 250: m = 0x5D04; break;
	case 225: m =  0x5304; break;
	case 200: m = 0x4904; break;
	case 175: m = 0x3F04; break;
	case 150: m = 0x4901; break;
	case 125: m = 0x3c01; break;
	case 100: m = 0x6502; break;
	case 75: m = 0x4902; break;
	case 50: m = 0x6503; break;
	}

if(m)
	{
  // Get interupt flags
  unsigned int l = memregs32[0x808>>2];

// Turn off interrupts
  memregs32[0x808>>2] = 0xFF8FFFE7;

// Set new clock frequency
  memregs16[0x910>>1]=m;

// Wait for it to take
  while(memregs16[0x0902>>1] & 1);

// Turn on interrupts again
  memregs32[0x808>>2] = l;
	}
}

Sounds good cant wait. I dont know if this is something you've already done but is it possible that the config files/save games etc etc are put into the same dir as .gpe rather than in sd:/drmd. Just makes things a tad tidier :)

DynaMight posted on Apr 5 2006 at 04:57 PM said:
Sounds good cant wait. I dont know if this is something you've already done but is it possible that the config files/save games etc etc are put into the same dir as .gpe rather than in sd:/drmd. Just makes things a tad tidier :)
me too i don't like the creating of directory in the root of the SD

Back