Dreamcast Emu?

linc186

Still Fresh
Ive seen demo's of the pandora dreamcast emulator on youtube, dated last year. When will it be released to the public for our pandas?

Whenever those responsible for it feel it's release-ready. The same as anything else. ;)

Interestingly enough, last week I tried the final build I have from Drk||Raziel from so long ago. It runs but it doesn't do much anymore. Only the dpad responds (due to changes in button mapping). It draws over the screen since it isn't set up for X. It didn't load the game I tried which I think was the same file as before (that Shenmue game) and just went to the bios menu screen. Perhaps someone will pick up the source code and build it for these control and X changes just so people can see it run like it did for me. Beyond that, it would be a lot of work to get it to actually draw and play games right.

that makes me sad. This emu had promise and would add one more system to claim ressurection through the Pandora interface... Hope more development comes someday soon...

yup dreamcast is my favourite console ever.it was great to have 128 games that kicked ass,before the ps2 got its stride.would be nice to have it on the pandy.especially for those who never experienced the dreamcast.(A dreamcast costs peanuts to buy and has tons of great games.)Buy one now.......

wrath of khan said:
yup dreamcast is my favourite console ever.it was great to have 128 games that kicked ass,before the ps2 got its stride.would be nice to have it on the pandy.especially for those who never experienced the dreamcast.(A dreamcast costs peanuts to buy and has tons of great games.)Buy one now.......

Not to mention homebrew, emulators and indie games (without the need for modification).

I'm surprised not everyone here has one.

Even it's little child console had a homebrew scene:

seaman_food--article_image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
quadomatic said:
Chillax people B)

drkIIRaziel has said more than once, that he will still be working on nullDC embedded, and that work will continue once he receives his Pandora.
Drkllraziel should recieve the dev pandora from the other thread.One developer is going to get a free pandora
it seems.

@someguy99 cool vid.redspot games are still making games too like age of the beast etc.

I would say let's focus on fullspeed N64 and PS1 for right now. The Dreamcast would be nice, but getting any games to a playable state is a ways off.

Chris

slightly off-topic, yet not:

speaking of the homebrew scene for dreamcast, did anyone hear about Wind & Water Puzzle Battles (one of our fav GP2X games) got ported to the Dreamcast for it's 10-year anniversary? check out W&'s website for info...

Custom Processing Unlimite said:
slightly off-topic, yet not:

speaking of the homebrew scene for dreamcast, did anyone hear about Wind & Water Puzzle Battles (one of our fav GP2X games) got ported to the Dreamcast for it's 10-year anniversary? check out W&'s website for info...

I just checked, and it's on offer at Redspot games. 30% off or something.

I was very impressed with the videos of Dreamcast emulation, even if they weren't playable. Just look at the new Playstation emulator on the Wiz to see what can be achieved with a lot of hard work. Hopefully Drkllraziel will pick this up, as he said, when he gets his Pandora. In the mean time, there's plenty of other things to play and tinker with and to challenge the devs.

the teams will disperse as they must, and the emulators will all get done, and be full speed... not of matter of if, but when... and since "if" isn't the question, I'm not at all worried. :D

A sure thing now, right?

pcsx4all is definitely impressive, but it's not unprecedented. Virtual Game Station achieved nice (probably comparable) results on 200MHz 604e Macintosh computers, which I'm sure an ARM9 can completely trounce trounce despite having several architectural disadvantages and a kinda gimped memory hierarchy. Bleem claimed good results on a Pentium MMX 166MHz. No one can claim good performance out of an existing Dreamcast emulator on anything anywhere close to the level of a 600MHz (or even 850 or so or whatever you want to pick) OMAP3530, much less something substantially weaker. That certainly doesn't make it impossible, but it's still a pretty different scenario.

Exophase said:
A sure thing now, right?

pcsx4all is definitely impressive, but it's not unprecedented. Virtual Game Station achieved nice (probably comparable) results on 200MHz 604e Macintosh computers, which I'm sure an ARM9 can completely trounce trounce despite having several architectural disadvantages and a kinda gimped memory hierarchy. Bleem claimed good results on a Pentium MMX 166MHz. No one can claim good performance out of an existing Dreamcast emulator on anything anywhere close to the level of a 600MHz (or even 850 or so or whatever you want to pick) OMAP3530, much less something substantially weaker. That certainly doesn't make it impossible, but it's still a pretty different scenario.
rue&draw_relative_size=true&rvtype=product&dv=2&view_auto=1.4&rev=12812434108719790_front_horz_1.gif

I'm sure Dark said he could get 50% + more performance from the last vid, I think games like Crazy Taxi could be semi playable, though intensive games like Shenmue would take a lot more to get running, but getting any DC games to run would be a bonus.

MWeston said:
Perhaps someone will pick up the source code and build it for these control and X changes
I don't think the source is available?

MWeston said:
Only the dpad responds (due to changes in button mapping). It draws over the screen since it isn't set up for X.
Those can be "fixed" with some hex editing.

notaz said:
MWeston said:
Perhaps someone will pick up the source code and build it for these control and X changes
I don't think the source is available?

AFAIK he released it when he said he won't work on it anymore... might be my bad memories though.
I have no idea where it would've been released though.

Last edited:
Back