Dreamcast

DaveC said:
I really wonder though if the Dreamcast could be emulated well enough on the Pandora to make it realy playable. To me it running 1/2 speed with no sound wouldn't be much more than a cool demo. If the N64 and even PSX still struggles on the Pandora maybe we shouldn't get our hopes up for Dreamcast being playable anyway.

Well, Im thinking positive about DC Emulation. Hopefully it works well enough for some PSO =)

Last edited by a moderator:
drkIIRaziel said:
Exophase said:
He had a board at some point as far as I can remember, but I can definitely see not wanting to develop for that. If he wanted a real Pandora at all he definitely should have gotten one. I'd really hate working with something like Dreamcast emulation w/o physical buttons. Could be why there's no controller emulation yet..

I figured it was ease of development because he was really fed up with working on the Beagle.

I'm proudly waiting my pandora, which i ordered the first day of the pre-orders all these years ago ;) . The main reason there hasn't been work on the arm front is because I didn't want to get -yet- another cortex platform (hopping that the Pandora would arrive soon). Beagle deving sucks (and my beagle is old rev, with h/w bugs and not working with newer kernels :'( )

Exophase said:
Compare with the Beagleboard videos from over a year ago. Factor in 2x CPU frequency and L1/L2 cache (and god willing, better main memory latency). This is about what I'd expect.

I'm actually amazed Drk finds Android easier to work with than Pandora. Having to wrap your apps in Java is a pain. Or maybe that's not his reason for switching focus.

Yep -- its the exact same code :p I'm rewriting the dynarec right now (and also looking though some problems with snapdragon cpus -- they don't like LDR R2,[R2] :/ ). Due to changes on the rest of the dynarec though, idle loop 'detection' and some other nifty stuff have been implemented making some games much faster !

Android is fine. The best part of it is i can steal a friend's smartphone and hack with it -- or have a dedicated tester over IRC test my builds all the time. I can even spend 120 euros and get a decent omap based tablet (archos) and do some deving -- unlike with pandora ;|

nullDC actually supports both the pandora keyboard and keypad interfaces -- i added em for mweston's videos.

jb0yx said:
I have no idea what it is like to be a programmer, but if I was an open source programmer I would think making sure my software stayed free would be my first priority, priority two would be widest distribution as possible.

Android would allow that distribution. If you could make 1,000 people happy, potentially 8,000? Or potentially the upteen millions of people that use android, which would you choose? I know what I would choose, but agian, I'm not a programmer.

Well, i'm not really an open source programmer, and there's always the idea "hey, i could make lots of $$$ if i sold this for $1 ..." which bothers me abit right now :p .

Pleng said:
Never mind I found drk||Raziel's email address on his blog and asked him. Don't hold your hopes up guys, though, I know I wouldn't like other people to be playing my Dreamcast emulator on their Pandora, while I had to make do with crummy touch-screen based devices!

All we can do is wait and see.

I've said this many times before, as soon as i get the hardware the port will folow ;) . Keep in mind that any progress made on the android front will be shared with pandora, as the dynarec and renderer are shared across them. If you want to test builds drop by #nulldc on efnet and i'l get you hooked up .. assuming I can get the pandora toolchain to work again (yep, I work from windows) ~

Thats .. all ? I think ...
Have a nice day
i know its an old thread but the prospect of drkllraziel working on dreamcast emulation is cool.Give the man a pandora.

wrath of khan said:
i know its an old thread but the prospect of drkllraziel working on dreamcast emulation is cool.Give the man a pandora.

We should start a fund to upgrade him to one of the 7-day pandoras. I'd donate $10-20 if there's enough support. Dreamcast on the pandora is something I really want to believe in.

edgex004 said:
wrath of khan said:

We should start a fund to upgrade him to one of the 7-day pandoras. I'd donate $10-20 if there's enough support. Dreamcast on the pandora is something I really want to believe in.
Then I would suggest you start a thread in the new forums, because there are far more users over there, and you only need 5 or 6 more people to chip in that amount.

I read that (12th march) :

I am one of the testers for drk|Raziel.. He is "tired" for now. Unfortuantely he doesnt seem to want to work on it further and he hasnt given indication he will release source code made after 2006(the source that is out now). The android port was based off of the psp port. Its sad, but the emu may never be completed :| I have tried to get zotdd and yongzh to start on it perhaps or maybe drk can release the source code of what he has completed as of now. There is however, work on a Gamecube/Wii emu for android right now.

Damn! Not again! (been here since 2003, witnessed this a couple of times)

But i hope he will release the source code :(

klaxonn said:
Unfortuantely he doesnt seem to want to work on it further and he hasnt given indication he will release source code made after 2006(the source that is out now).

Quite a dick move. "I don't want it but you can't have it." Never understood this mentality.

OilySalmon said:
Quite a dick move. "I don't want it but you can't have it." Never understood this mentality.

Just because some guy on a forum says he isn't working on it anymore doesn't mean he never will. And there are other reasons to keep it closed. Like not wanting people selling it for profit on the app stores, which is going to happen regardless of whether or not the license prohibits it.

OilySalmon said:
klaxonn said:
Unfortuantely he doesnt seem to want to work on it further and he hasnt given indication he will release source code made after 2006(the source that is out now).

He didn't say that at all. He didn't even say he won't release the source, or pick it up again at some point (maybe when his Pandora finally arrives).

It'll be sad if he has lost interest. I wonder if he's even got his Pandora yet. He says he preordered on day 1. I haven't been following the production saga recently but surely they must have sent out all day 1 orders by now?

Yeah, i got mine a couple weeks ago. I'm currently busy organising a local open source festival(openfest.teipir.gr :p) and some other things, should have time after that stuff is over (after april 10th).

Though, the current builds run slowly and nicely :3

drkIIRaziel said:
Yeah, i got mine a couple weeks ago. I'm currently busy organising a local open source festival(openfest.teipir.gr :p ) and some other things, should have time after that stuff is over (after april 10th).

Nice to know you've got yours. Good luck with your FOSS festival.

drkIIRaziel said:
Yeah, i got mine a couple weeks ago. I'm currently busy organising a local open source festival(openfest.teipir.gr :p ) and some other things, should have time after that stuff is over (after april 10th).

I'm glad you're one of the few developers who see this is plausible. It seems like all the potential developers here who spoke on that last Dreamcast emulation topic said it was simply impossible or at most would just be some kind of flashy proof of concept. To be honest they've sort of convinced me of that. :-/

Regardless I hope you do well with this project.

Back