Dreamcast

Trickyhero

Are people still working on Dreamcast? I just saw this year old video on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXJ0WtWGRLE) and felt like asking. It sure would be fantastic, and please don't think I'm trolling, but is there still progress being made?

No. I believe Avensus picked up the source code from the original developer, but he is spending all his free time on Mupen64 (N64) at the moment. The current build doesn't play any games on the Pandora as it stands (the videos were running on a much earlier OS version, and it seems that something has broken it since then.

It's a shame because Daytona USA looked almost playable in the video - certainly about as fast as PSX Ridge Racer games go at present, and that was running at 600Mhz. My Panda clocks to 900 quite happily at OPP5, so I'd love to be getting a bit of Rin Rin Rink action!

I wanna flll I I iy sky high-igh.... let's go o oh o togetheeeaaaar

(I think you'll find that's a perfect rendition, thank you)

I believe Avensus picked up the source code from the original developer, but he is spending all his free time on Mupen64 (N64) at the moment

...you believe that? This guy was last active here 3 monthes ago. (You mean Adventus, I suppose...)

Schnatterplatsch said:
I believe Avensus picked up the source code from the original developer, but he is spending all his free time on Mupen64 (N64) at the moment

...you believe that? This guy was last active here 3 monthes ago. (You mean Adventus, I suppose...)

just because people aren't posting a lot doesn't mean they are inactive or have left the community. people fade in and out and some have real life stuff going on. its the same with zodttd. he has other projects going on and doesn't post much at all then he will come back out of the blue with an update. and besides, just because someone doesn't get involved in the forums doesn't mean they aren't working on stuff.

i wouldn't be surprised if other people weren't holding out for more units to be in peoples hand's too so they can actually test their work and feel it is going to be for a worthwhile and decently sized audience.

Last edited by a moderator:
...but it doesn't mean that they are active either B) . So then my question would be where Pleng knows that from? Seeing progress in Mupen would be great, wouldn't it?

It was in one of the many NullDC threads. I'd honestly rather see Dreamcast picked up than more work on Mupen, but, yea it's not my decision. Do a scan of the dreamcast threads and you should be able to find the post where he says he has access to the source and it doesn't work on the current OS... if you find it, link it here :)

Yea I could do it myself. Too lazy. Sorry.

I can only get one of the videos to play. And, yea, seem similar to the performance on the Pandora. Would be nice, wouldn't it???

Compare with the Beagleboard videos from over a year ago. Factor in 2x CPU frequency and L1/L2 cache (and god willing, better main memory latency). This is about what I'd expect.

I'm actually amazed Drk finds Android easier to work with than Pandora. Having to wrap your apps in Java is a pain. Or maybe that's not his reason for switching focus.

I think it was more a case of wanting his work to actually reach an audience. And I he doesn't even have his Pandora yet? Maybe his interest will spring back if/when he actually gets a unit.

He had a board at some point as far as I can remember, but I can definitely see not wanting to develop for that. If he wanted a real Pandora at all he definitely should have gotten one. I'd really hate working with something like Dreamcast emulation w/o physical buttons. Could be why there's no controller emulation yet..

I figured it was ease of development because he was really fed up with working on the Beagle.

Hmm well I don't know the history but one could interpret being fed up of working on the beagle, as you say, as being fed up of working on a non-portable system. I think he was well up for trying to get a full speed Dreamcast emulator on a handheld console.

I'd be really p*ssed off if I had created an Emulator for the Pandora and other people were able to play dreamcast games on the bus while I was locked down to a beagle in my front room :D

I have no idea what it is like to be a programmer, but if I was an open source programmer I would think making sure my software stayed free would be my first priority, priority two would be widest distribution as possible.

Android would allow that distribution. If you could make 1,000 people happy, potentially 8,000? Or potentially the upteen millions of people that use android, which would you choose? I know what I would choose, but agian, I'm not a programmer.

jb0yx said:
Android would allow that distribution. If you could make 1,000 people happy, potentially 8,000? Or potentially the upteen millions of people that use android, which would you choose? I know what I would choose, but agian, I'm not a programmer.
I would do whichever made myself happy first, worry about the masses later. :)

It's just a shame that the previously demod build doesn't apparently work with the current OS. :(

Pleng said:
It's just a shame that the previously demod build doesn't apparently work with the current OS. :(

wait what? you are saying a software title quit working after an update? That does not give me a warm and fuzzy about angstrom.

I have yet to see a software title completely die because of an android update, i might not be looking hard enough though.

The demo was on a beagleboard. It doesn't work on the Pandora's OS from what I've heard. Nobody besides Adventus has actually tried it as far as I know.

Back