Hard Drive Image With Amiga Emu

chris_c

Back in the day I used to code demo's in 68k asm language both the cpu and the hardware were a dream to work with

I wouldn't mind doing this again, but you really do need to be booting off a hard drive for this.

Anyone know if any of the amiga emu's on the Pandora can do this - and how you'd do it...

I think PUAE can but not UAE4All (yet). If PUAE does have HDD support, bear in mind it's going to be a lot slower than full speed though.

PUAE is a straight port as far as I know, so it's not optomised at all for use on the ARM CPU. UAE4ALL is optomised and has a specially written 68000 processor core for ARM so it will run A500 stuff fullspeed - but it has no HDD support yet. To use an HDD you'll need to use the slower emulator which supports different Amiga models (like the A1200 with its 68020 CPU) with HDD support. But if using it for programming, just up the frameskip and turn off the sound emulation etc... that should give you a good idea of how your compiled stuff is running and the slower emulation won't matter since mostly you'll be typing I guess. If you then save your work onto a floppy ADF you could of course test your stuff on UAE4All at full speed.

Sorry, I'm not an expert but I think this is roughly how it works.

Maybe if you are a reasonably competent programmer, you could implement HDD support in UAE4ALL and that would make a lot of people very happy!

ah! got you, I thought you meant for some intrinsic reason HD support would slow it down, not just that the one emu that supports it was slower...!

I'll maybe look at the UAE4ALL source some day, but it low on my 1001 list of things I want to code on the Pandora ;)

Back