DragonBox OpenSource Coding Competition - Rules (DRAFT!)

Since we have a few topics about this competition already, why not open a separate section like for the rebirth?

So you want to promote Open Source by asking others to provide bonus prizes? Sounds a bit dubious to me.

That solution wouldn't work for me. I consider nonfree software to be illegitimate. Giving "open source" some extra money from the community would still convey that "closed source" software is legitimate.

There's also what _wb_ said: it seems like you're passing open source to the community, as if to say you don't care, but you're letting the community care. I know that's not the intention, but that's what it looks like.

I really don't think any compromise is possible for me. Even segregating the "open source" and "closed source" programs wouldn't help; that's still delivering the message that open source is preferred, but closed source is legitimate. I can't think of a way to allow nonfree software at this point without implicitly saying that it is a legitimate alternative to free software.

Even removing all mention of "open source" and "closed source" wouldn't really do it, because I and many others already know at this point that it was originally an open source competition, and now it isn't because nonfree software is considered acceptable by many here.

So for me, I doubt I'll participate unless it's free/libre/open-source software only (or just "open source" only, if you prefer).

I had no idea that all the coding I do for work is "illegitimate". However making it "legitimate" would get me fired from my job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is one of the big problems that wouldn't exist if we would live on the optimal world that the FSF wants.

I had no idea that all the coding I do for work is "illegitimate". However making it "legitimate" would get me fired from my job.

If the software you participate in developing is proprietary, yes, that software is illegitimate in my view, whether it's Windows, Microsoft Office, Diablo, or any other nonfree program.

God forgive, you cannot be serious.

If the software you participate in developing is proprietary, yes, that software is illegitimate in my view, whether it's Windows, Microsoft Office, Diablo, or any other nonfree program.

Oh it's proprietary as hell, if leaked could expose my companies testing methodology, IP used and sensitive client information. so yeah illegitimate as hell in your mind.

Although without an investment in a few million dollars worth of testing equipment my code is useless to anyone.

Oh it's proprietary as hell, if leaked could expose my companies testing methodology, IP used and sensitive client information. so yeah illegitimate as hell in your mind.

Sensitive client information? You store information about your users in the source code?

Of course, if you're telling the truth about your software being proprietary, you should have thousands or at least hundreds of different users of your program, because otherwise it isn't very successful. Storing that much "sensitive client information" in the source code seems like a weird thing to do.

Unless you mean the software uses security by obscurity, in which case I definitely don't want to use such an insecure program.

I write code for testing semiconductors.. which could expose many aspects of the client's hardware..

My code wouldn't be used by anyone outside of our industry.. I'm just making jabs at your idea of legitimacy..

I write code for testing semiconductors.. which could expose many aspects of the client's hardware..

So, you develop software for one client, and they allow you to keep the source code and rights to yourself? What will they do if your company goes under?

We develop a test solution that check the functionality of the Semiconductors we manufacture for our clients, they're are dozens of clients and hundreds of products we deliver. they don't care how we test them as long as the parts are functional when they arrive.

If my company goes out of business, there will be bigger issues than test programs going on.

So, your company is the only one that runs the program?

Why did you tell me it's proprietary, then? The only user of it has the four freedoms.

We do generate programs for other test facilities / companies.. so technically we are not the only user. And the program language and compilers are proprietary to the Test equipment manufacturer which we license their software for some ungodly amount of money.

Well, the software you develop is perfectly legitimate for your company. It is only illegitimate from the perspective of clients who get the program without the four freedoms, and this action from your company is immoral.

OK, but can we please not derail this thread too much?

To go back to the vegetarian cooking contest analogy, I think there are several options:

1) Make it an "anything goes" contest, pissing off the vegetarians

2) Allow also meat dishes, but have extra prizes for vegetarian winners

3) Allow also meat dishes, but disqualify them from winning any prizes unless they remove the meat

4) Don't allow meat

5) Make it a vegan cooking contest (require a Free license, e.g. GPL or compatible)

In this analogy onpon4 would be something like a raw vegan who only eats local fruits and vegetables from wild trees and only if they fell out of the tree because of gravity.

I'm more like a regular vegetarian who admires vegans but likes cheese too much. Some others here are fish-eating "vegetarians", and maybe we have a few hardcore carnivores too.

Anyway, the original proposal was 4), then it became 1), and now ED proposes 2). I would be happy with 3), 4) or 5).

In this analogy onpon4 would be something like a raw vegan who only eats local fruits and vegetables from wild trees and only if they fell out of the tree because of gravity.
That is fruitarianism. A fruitarian will heat his food. A raw will not. ;) So fruitarianism is a subset of veganism. Raw isn't! Raw meat is still raw. :)

I'm more like a regular vegetarian who admires vegans but likes cheese too much. Some others here are fish-eating "vegetarians", and maybe we have a few hardcore carnivores too.
Pescetarianism :p

Using _wb_'s analogy above, I think 3) seems like a fair compromise.

Closed source entries are permitted, but they can not win any prizes until the source is released.

Back