DragonBox Coding Competition - open or closed source poll

Under which conditions you will participate?

• Total voters

Just want to throw my opinion in there...

If the compo has only "open source" software, I'll join (if I can get the game I have thought of done). It doesn't have to be a particular license requirement, any "open source" software is fine (I would prefer free software, but it's about the same and I understand it's an open source community, even if some people have objected).

In all honesty, if this discussion had never happened and there was no mention of open source vs. closed source, I would have participated anyway, even if nonfree software was accepted to the competition.

However, now that the issue is being discussed, if nonfree software is accepted into the competition, that is delivering a message: "We want to make our open source systems less open source by adding more closed source software." I do not wish to be any part of that awful message, and as such, I refuse to submit my work to be shown alongside nonfree software in this competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm not sure if I will release the code for my current project. I have spent many many hours on it and want to decide based on other factors whether or not to release it or not. I mean, I want to but it would be pee me off if somebody ended up making money out of it!

I released the source for LemmingsSDL...I doubt many people have looked at it!

Are you sure you selected the correct choice in the poll then or did you change your mind?

Being told to open source your game though offends me.
As _wb_ tangented, why does being told that a requirement of the contest is that the source must also be available offend you, but being told that your entry must be gratis or DRM free does not? Assuming it does not.

Quote from this thread:

I want to clarify that I'm not trying to force things by taking the position I'm taking. If I don't participate in the contest, I will still keep creating stuff and put it on the repo.

Quote from 'other' thread:

To address the argument of "we need closed source or we will lose entries": I hereby declare that I will not participate in the contest (and will not continue work on an improved version of my little GPL'ed game Microbes) if this is not going to be an open source contest.

It certainly lead to some confusion to me when reading your comments. Perhaps they were intended in a different way to how I am reading them, but to me the other thread indicated that unless ED choses the rules you want you'll stop working on your open source projects, however this thread indicates this actually isn't the case at all. You would simply not enter *this competition* based on the licensing rules. To me it would be a shame either way, but there you go.

I am currently working on an improved version of Microbes, and I will certainly at some point release it on the repo. Maybe I will participate in the compo, and in that case the compo deadline will probably be some extra motivation to work faster. But even if I don't participate in the compo, I will not suddenly stop releasing new versions of Microbes or other things. It might take a bit more time though, without the deadline pressure :)

Sorry about the confusion, it's my fault.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I will release the code for my current project. I have spent many many hours on it and want to decide based on other factors whether or not to release it or not. I mean, I want to but it would be pee me off if somebody ended up making money out of it!

I released the source for LemmingsSDL...I doubt many people have looked at it!

Are you sure you selected the correct choice in the poll then or did you change your mind?

To be honest, I can't remember what I chose! I'm still in 2 minds as to what to do. Whatever happens, a new game will be added the repo, source or no source!

To be honest, I can't remember what I chose! I'm still in 2 minds as to what to do. Whatever happens, a new game will be added the repo, source or no source!

You can see who selected what when you click on the "view" link next to the progress bar. That is how I found you :)

Back