Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Binary
Source

This release adds the following:
1. Mouse emulation via stick/dpad and buttons
2. Virtual Keyboard
3. Better touchscreen at 320x200 resolutions (no more scaling is needed)

As always go over the README as is takes a little bit of effort to set some things up.
I hope everyone finds it useful.

Just a quick question:

Is the on screen virtual keyboard have touch-screen support or is it controlled via joypad?

Or is it touch-screen only?

Thanks! Looking forward to trying this release. :)

Pickle, man, wow. I am so stoked you're still working on this! I have been super busy with university and work, and last night was the first time in ages I picked up my GP2x for a solid session, and then I wake up this morning and find this!
Thanks again.

slaanesh said:
Just a quick question:

Is the on screen virtual keyboard have touch-screen support or is it controlled via joypad?

Or is it touch-screen only?

Thanks! Looking forward to trying this release. :)
Only through joystick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Concerning the mouse emulation (via joystick): What does hand_mousetog do? The mouse seems to always be on for me.
What I assume it should do is toggle on whether or not the joystick moves the mouse and disable any actions the joystick might normally have.

Sort of...it can turn on and off the mouse emulation in-game. To enable and disable the mouse emulation is done tho speed setting.
In other words if you dont set the speed parameter the mouse emulation will never be enabled.
When you specify the speed parameter the mouse emulation is always on unless you use the hand_mousetog to turn it off and on.
Is hand_mousetog working?

Pickle said:
Concerning the mouse emulation (via joystick): What does hand_mousetog do? The mouse seems to always be on for me.
What I assume it should do is toggle on whether or not the joystick moves the mouse and disable any actions the joystick might normally have.
Sort of...it can turn on and off the mouse emulation in-game. To enable and disable the mouse emulation is done tho speed setting.
In other words if you dont set the speed parameter the mouse emulation will never be enabled.
When you specify the speed parameter the mouse emulation is always on unless you use the hand_mousetog to turn it off and on.
Is hand_mousetog working?

I set the mouse speed in the dosbox.conf. All of the other settings worked for me, and the mouse works inside of the games I've tested. hand_mousetog won't turn it off, though. It isn't even required to initially enable it, either. It doesn't seem to do anything at all.
Also, it would be nice if it disabled all of the commands assigned to the joystick while enabled. I tried playing Ultima 6, for example, but it will move the character and the mouse at the same time, making it impossible to play. The alternative is setting a key to a modifier and holding it down to move, but that's a pain.

Skutarth said:
I set the mouse speed in the dosbox.conf. All of the other settings worked for me, and the mouse works inside of the games I've tested. hand_mousetog won't turn it off, though. It isn't even required to initially enable it, either. It doesn't seem to do anything at all.
Also, it would be nice if it disabled all of the commands assigned to the joystick while enabled. I tried playing Ultima 6, for example, but it will move the character and the mouse at the same time, making it impossible to play. The alternative is setting a key to a modifier and holding it down to move, but that's a pain.
I will take a look at why that parameter isnt working. It shouldnt be hard to make the dpad/stick switch between mouse and keyboard mappings. Although just as a warning, i would like to be done with dosbox for a while so i can focus on other things.

Thanks for the feedback
Im also im a bit surprised, theres been about170 downloads and there hasnt been much feedback about the new stuff. :unsure: But i can live with that, im happy with what I was able to do.

Well, considering it's a very warm and sunny weekend most people are probably spending their time outside in the park etc. Maybe they forgot their gp2x'es to test the latest dosbox release? ;)

Jokes aside tho, I'll give this a go when I get a chance - I'm actually quite happy to find a new dosbox seeing the light of day for the '2X, what's the speed on that thing? Any better than the first ever release? (the one I had tested back in the day)

Thanks for all your hard work! :)

"SunSpire"

SunSpire said:
Well, considering it's a very warm and sunny weekend most people are probably spending their time outside in the park etc. Maybe they forgot their gp2x'es to test the latest dosbox release? ;)
Well its raining where i live.

SunSpire said:
Jokes aside tho, I'll give this a go when I get a chance - I'm actually quite happy to find a new dosbox seeing the light of day for the '2X, what's the speed on that thing? Any better than the first ever release? (the one I had tested back in the day)

Thanks for all your hard work! :)

"SunSpire"
Speed is about the same, you can run most EGA/CGA and some VGA. Dont expect to many games with sound blaster sound, but pc sound is fine. For example the Duke Nukum and Keen series run fine.
I made some memory saving changes that make it much more stable than the versions you probally tested. I used those versions too and most of time they crashed. I hardly ever have a crash or lockup now.

Take a look at the readme, I went into pretty good depth on the changes and everything thats happened with this release.

By the way thanks for the compliment.

perfect, striker works now! thank you so much!

one wish/note though. a player can control player either using numpad or cursor arrows + insert. the use of arrow keys has one big advantage: a user playing can press multiple keys simultaneously and this will not cause player to stop as it happens when numpad keys is used. however it is not possible to emulate this behaviour with dosbox for gp2x currently. any ideas? i am ready to test/provide more info if needed.

cheers,

jose

jose said:
perfect, striker works now! thank you so much!
one wish/note though. a player can control player either using numpad or cursor arrows + insert. the use of arrow keys has one big advantage: a user playing can press multiple keys simultaneously and this will not cause player to stop as it happens when numpad keys is used. however it is not possible to emulate this behaviour with dosbox for gp2x currently. any ideas? i am ready to test/provide more info if needed.
cheers,
jose
Thanks, glad you like it.

I think this will work, no guarantees though. You can map multiple keys to the GP2X buttons. So map every direction to insert and map each direction to the cooresponding arrow key. When you press the key you should get the combination of the two.
If that doesnt work, map insert to any key and tape it down :rolleyes:

I have the setups for Prehistorik 1 & 2 and Shadow Knights with icons and proper controls, are you still putting together a games config pack? Thanks for your continued work on this, I never thought I'd ever see all these games running on my GP2X :)

Really appreciate the work you've put into this recently Pickle. I haven't had much time for tinkering lately, but I'm hoping to get some quality DOSBox time in later this week.

Thanks for the comments guys, its appreicated.

Alex. said:
I have the setups for Prehistorik 1 & 2 and Shadow Knights with icons and proper controls, are you still putting together a games config pack? Thanks for your continued work on this, I never thought I'd ever see all these games running on my GP2X :)
I was not planning on a super config package. There will be at least one more small update to dosbox for fixes.

I'm trying to get warcraft working (with sound), does anyone know what settings I need to set in the setup program for it to detect the emulated sound card? It asks me for a bunch of numbers which I just left at default (Sound Blaster) but the game says "Music card not found, run SETUP.EXE again" or something like that, then exits.

Jdbye said:
I'm trying to get warcraft working (with sound), does anyone know what settings I need to set in the setup program for it to detect the emulated sound card? It asks me for a bunch of numbers which I just left at default (Sound Blaster) but the game says "Music card not found, run SETUP.EXE again" or something like that, then exits.
All of the settings are in the dosbox.conf
CODE

[sblaster]
# sbtype -- Type of sblaster to emulate:none,sb1,sb2,sbpro1,sbpro2,sb16.
# sbbase,irq,dma,hdma -- The IO/IRQ/DMA/High DMA address of the soundblaster.
# mixer -- Allow the soundblaster mixer to modify the dosbox mixer.
# oplmode -- Type of OPL emulation: auto,cms,opl2,dualopl2,opl3.
# On auto the mode is determined by sblaster type.
# All OPL modes are 'Adlib', except for CMS.
# oplrate -- Sample rate of OPL music emulation.

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=11025

Back