Release DosBox EX - Ultimate

now ive just got to figure out how to change images from 01.iso to 02.iso etc
sorry, no help here. But I am curious about CD games for DOS that where made freeware - could you name those?

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry, no help here. But I am curious about CD games for DOS that where made freeware - could you name those?
There's quite a few but the one i was working on (and now managed to get my dumb head around) was Dreamweb, which was released as freeware in October 2012, a cyberpunk game which is a very immersive game, even to this day :)

Dreamweb is a masterpiece.

It works with ScummVM too by now.

Before playing I highly recommend reading the prologue "Journal of a madman" which was the printed part formerly sold with the game. You can find it as a PDF today.

Dreamweb is a masterpiece.

It works with ScummVM too by now.

Before playing I highly recommend reading the prologue "Journal of a madman" which was the printed part formerly sold with the game. You can find it as a PDF today.
Totally agree :)

Its one of a pile of games that i've converted to dxz format for commander-beefs attention (the story is a definite read, and i've included it in the package)

seeking a bit of help in relation to the custom mapper of the GUI.... Is it possible to map a set of keys, such as "SHIFT" and "m" or whatever, or say "ALT" and "F1"? i understand the basic premis of mappig one key to another, but is it possible with a combination of keys?

There's quite a few but the one i was working on (and now managed to get my dumb head around) was Dreamweb, which was released as freeware in October 2012, a cyberpunk game which is a very immersive game, even to this day :)
Oh, thanks, did not know it was released as freeware

Asking for help....again :) ...

It's still pretty much the same issue as before, KEYMAPPING in dosbox. I'm still trying t find out how to "combine" a series of keypresses, to a single key, such as SHIFT & L etc, however I'm having a BIG problem in just simply remapping keys in dosbox using the native keymapper. Everywhere you read (trust me i've spent wasted hours on this) it say you simply bring up the keymapper CTRL+F1 (native dosbox keymapper),if you want "x" to bring up "z" then you press the "z" key, press add then press "x" key. This would apparently bring up "z" each time you pressed "x". Well... I've tried this in every possible way, incuding reinstalling my PC dosbox, and i STILL can't map a simple single key :( The only way I've managed to map a key is by going into the actual mapper.txt (map) and added the key number that i wished to asign :( . I would REALLY apreciate a guide on how to map keys in Dosbox please.

Also while I'm here, I'd like to ask about the built-in keymapper in Beef's amazing Dosbox :)

Does ayone know how to map combination keys within this built-in keymap, also could anyone direct me as to where i could find information on the scroll down list in the mapper..

and tell enlighten if this works, or if it does, how to make it work... sorry to throw these questions at you, just that i've nearly 80 games in dxz format that i really would like to improve upon for release with specific keymaps for each game. Thankyou for your thoughts. :)

The disk version of dreamweb is free!!!But not the cd (talkie) version? I have the cd version and it is awesome!!!! (recommended!!!)

gr 

The disk version of dreamweb is free!!!But not the cd (talkie) version? I have the cd version and it is awesome!!!! (recommended!!!)
ScummVM offers both version (in several languages) as freeware.

ScummVM offers both version (in several languages) as freeware.
Okay thnx i didn't know that.........I bought the game on ebay  :p
That's always gonna be a bummer lol! It's unfortunately one of the problems or probably misconceptions about freeware DOS games. The idea that if the game can still be purchased then it's not freeware is incorrect. It has to still be for sale by the developer or the publisher, or if either has given up the rights to the public domain. I've bought quite a few freeware games from ebay because it was a kick back to my youth (wished i'd kept them all back in the day :) )

Here I am again... seeking input and advice. I'm aware of the contention in general, regarding "abandonware" Dos games, but I'm seeking clarification on its use regarding this particular forum. I have about 80 DEFINATE Freeware games, verified either by mobygames, Wikipedia and the publisher information. These have all been converted to dxz format, complete with inlays, manuals, walkthroughs (where applicable) etc. These games are uploaded to my file sharing account, and if people wish, i can upload the link to these games for download. The main point of this post is regarding abandonware games (which i agree is a minefield of issues). Where games have literally been abandonded, such as the developers and the publishers are no more, they don't exist to even give their permission to submit their games as freeware. These "abandonded" games which no-one any longer supports, or has given any copyright opinion either way, are freely available to download from any number of sites that have been about for upward of 15 years. It has to be mentioned that NONE of the legitimate DOS abandonware sites have been "brought to book" for copyright violation (I am talking specifically about the ms-dos abandonware game sites, registered with the abandonware ring). I'm very aware about not bringing any flack down upon the Pandora forums, so I would never post anything on this site that could lead to any form of retribution. However, (i'm sure my teacher said not to begin a sentence with however :) ), however, i do have a large number of abandonware games that i have converted to dxz format, (apart from the known freeware games already mentioned), which i have converted for my own attention. My question would be, would anyone else be interested in these "abandonware" games, if I gave the links to my sharing site whereupn they are held, along with the link to my freeware games which i KNOW are free from any ambiguity. Hope i've made sense, and that my query/ question has come across okay. :)

Imho : you're free to post s these freeware in the dxz format here. If you want to share the abandonware ones it will need to not be linked from here (publicly: hint to the other here) even indirectly.

Here I am again... seeking input and advice.
Regarding the free games, please feel free to post links to it here - afaik ED also made some space available for this on one of his severs, maybe they can by uploaded there ?
Ragarding the games where their rights holders have seized to advertise/sell them anymore, please no links here in any way. Part of the reasons why such sites are still up and running is that their servers are located in a country where the persue of copyright infrigiments is rather hard to facilitate, which isn't the case here as ED servers are located in Germany.

Altough I'm strictly against distributing theses games, you could give them out on a per PM request basis. ED has no way of knowing whats going on via PM, so as long as you don't make a fuzz about it in a thread (like "hey there, added title xyz, so pirating it is now even more convenient") the chance of harming ED should be minimal.

Imho : you're free to post s these freeware in the dxz format here. If you want to share the abandonware ones it will need to not be linked from here (publicly: hint to the other here) even indirectly.
Freeware does not mean you have any distribution rights, though.

No1WXei.jpg

Sorry to be a party pooper but there's still a lot of games in that list that are listed for sale on GOG and are obviously not freeware.

I will name a few:

Betrayal of Krondor - Still for sale at GOG.

Last Half of Darkness II & III are not freeware 

Bomb Jack is not freeware
Star Fleet series are not freeware.

I could go on but I do not have the time. You will need to compile a list that you are certain that is freeware.

Mod hat off: I saw some cool games in this list and it sucks that I can't let you post this but we need to respect that some of these games are still for sale. I know you worked hard on this one. Sorry mate.

Check dosgames.com / dosgamesarchive.com for games that are carefully selected as freeware / shareware.

Back