Dosbox: Can't Type Colon " : "

Hansi

Still Fresh
Hi
like the title says I'm having trouble using dosbox since I can't type ":" .
But it does work in mousepad and on my previous pandora(got it replaced beacause of the nubs) ":" worked in dosbox.
thx for any help :)
//Edit: found the solution right now on the wiki -.- shift + Fn + ";"
//Eventhough i can't remember doing it this way before

From this thread;

Clean3d said:
Hey, I know I'm reviving an old topic, but I figured out the colon problem. You have to press shift (left shoulder button) + Fn + ";"

I figured this out by looking at the keyboard remapper. The underscore wasn't working either, so I was messing about trying to figure it out, and I noticed that both ":" and "_" are keys accessed through shift. On a normal US keyboard, the underscore is created through shift+-, and the colon through shift+;. I guessed that dosbox expected this to still be the case, so I tried it. It worked.

I suppose Dosbox just doesn't like these characters being created through Fn? Hope this helps someone, and I apologize if this has been answered before and I'm just being dense. ;)

I've heard it said that the reason for this slightly oddball behaviour is that DOSBox is using a different keymap and is expecting the keys to be produced in the same way as on a standard desktop keyboard. (@Esn - I can only assume that this also applies to the ~ as well - it may just be a matter of finding it.)

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone figures out how to type "~" in DOSBox, please let me know! Its absence means I can't open any directories longer than 8 letters...

You have to press Shift Fn H to get the ~ (tilde) character. On screen it looks like a - (minus) sign.

You have to press Shift Fn H to get the ~ (tilde) character. On screen it looks like a - (minus) sign.
I'm sure Esn may have figured this out almost 5 years ago.

If I remember correctly, this depends on whether one has the option "use scancodes" checked, no?

Press
fnkey+leftshoulderbutton+the Button directly left from the pandora Keyboard colon
@the same Time and you have a Colon.
;)

Back