Swedish keyboard layout

moxie

The voice of reason, sense and exasperation
Staff member
Hi all!

Being swedish, I like to be able to type stuff like "Å i åa ä e ö", since this constitutes meaningful conversation in our language :) And also, of course, Ä and Ö (even though those are not in the example). To do that, I've used slaeshjags xmodmapfile from http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/2428-keyboard-layout-changer/page__st__20#entry84139 <- there, which places öäå on fn-opl (that is, F11, F12 and ¥). That has worked very nicely in the past.

However, recently I found out that I can no longer typ ÄÖ. When I try to type what is in effect shift-F11, I get the result as if it was "just" F11. So I can get small letters (öä) but not the capitals (ÖÄ). The relevant lines in the xmodmapfile are these:

keycode 95 = odiaeresis Odiaeresis odiaeresis Odiaeresis

keycode 96 = adiaeresis Adiaeresis adiaeresis Adiaeresis

keycode 132 = aring Aring aring Aring

As far as I can guess, this has something to do with firmware upgrading. Has something changed in how either xmodmap files are interpreted, or possibly in how shift-Fkey codes are generated (that is - Are shift-F-key no longer recognized)?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, but please post if you figure something out. So when you say recently, you mean it used to work with capital ÄÖ before firmware upgrade? And capital Å still works?

Yes, exactly. Capital Å, which has a proper "character key" base (that is, ¥), works with shift. Ä and Ö, on "non-character keys" (F11 and F12) used to work, but doesn't any more. I cannot particularily pinpoint the change to a firmware upgrade (since I don't type in swedish often enough on the pandora to notice immediately), but I can't really see it be anything else.

And whereabouts in Skåne might that be? Skurup here :)

Yes, exactly. Capital Å, which has a proper "character key" base (that is, ¥), works with shift. Ä and Ö, on "non-character keys" (F11 and F12) used to work, but doesn't any more. I cannot particularily pinpoint the change to a firmware upgrade (since I don't type in swedish often enough on the pandora to notice immediately), but I can't really see it be anything else.

And whereabouts in Skåne might that be? Skurup here :)

Ah, I see. I will be getting my pandora today if ups is on time. I do plan to use it for irc and stuff so will be typing in swedish. But I guess capitalization is not really required for irc so I will probably be fine without it.

Oh and I live somewhere around the top-right corner in Kristianstad. :)

I guess that it'd work quite OK to just put the ÅÄÖ on some other, not-special keys that also are not very used, so it is not an unsurmountable problem as far as ÅÄÖ goes. It is more interesting to wonder where the shifted F-keys went :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back