Dosbox And .pnd-File Video ... Posted!

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
Posted two shoddy videos below; read on for the story .. originaly went for WC2, aborted, then did a couple quickies for you :) Not great quality, sorry!

--

Got a quick minute here, so thought I'd do a Warcraft 2 video. What a pita ;)

To wit, I've got a year old red mk2 mobo, with no keyboard, no speakers, no nubs, etc. So its usb keyboard and mouse for me, which is fine, but not so cool for you. I've got a sleeping baby nearby, so I'm not talking and not jacking in external speakers. But I figure why not ..

Naturally, I can't find my WC2 original CD right now, like I did last year for screenshots. So I can fire it up, watch the Blizzard movie, hit Single Player Campaign and watch the dialog pop up asking for the CD.

Maybe I can find a no-cd crack :/ Bloody hell :)

Maybe its best if we leave the videos to Craig and ED anyway, since you all like audio and commentary right?

If you want a video up to the CD dialog, I've got a couple :p

jeff

Eye of the Beholder 1 video: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=9jyszn5QPQY
See description below, with the crap quality described :)

pnd-file magic .. showing SD insert/eject and running pnd-files as they appear/disappear:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vzsh7dSHIsw

Last edited by a moderator:
There, how about the very worst video of Eye of the Beholder 1 for you.

Shaky cam.
No video, no real pandora controls, no talking, nothing :)

Not-dyanrec cpu core (which is in there btw!), using advmame2x for scaler since eob1 is pure 320x200, and uses _windowed mode_ sdl. This runs full speed, without any frameskip at all, and is a poor configuration. Warcraft 2 runs full speed (I played it before). Imagine running full screen (not windowed), not scaled (using hardware scaler), and dynarec? Pandora is _fast!_

But what the hell, right, give you something to look at? let me upload it.

jeff

12 minutes left on the upload.

Shakycam, dropped out the .mov file; fed it to a trimmer to drop me screwing around at DOS command line at the end (left the first parts untouched through to quitting game), and fed it to transcoder.. wham, 600MB down to 80MB. Nice.

Eye of the Beholder video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jyszn5QPQY

Posting a pnd magic one now.

jeff

pnd-file magic video is here:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vzsh7dSHIsw

Again with the skay crap quality :)

jeff

edit: Note -- you'll see that insert/eject SD and the unit waits a couple seconds, then shows/removes the icons. This is a configurable delay, and I've defaulted it like this for a reason -- if you've got hundreds or thousands of apps, especially sorted into piles of directories, then its nice to let the notification system spam the kernel over a second or two and then show the results, rather than sorting through it all while the info is coming in. I could tighten it down, but this is reliable and simple, and I've had other things to worry about :) The delay can be shorted as you see fit .. can drop it to 0s or 1s delay and things work fine, but can get weird when you throw 500 apps at it, so I gave it a couple seconds.

Haha! I love it!

God, while I'm watching this I feel the same than when I was playing with my spectrum almost 20 years ago.

Thanks for the video :)

ED actually already made a video showing .pnd showing up on the desktop. I had no idea that there was an adjustable delay though. I sure don't mind a default setting of a few seconds.

BTW what's the blue icon appearing on the desktop. Can't help think it kind of look like the skype icon... that's just a wild guess of course.

The blue icon was in fact Skype, I've been screwing with it (copied it from a phone :) .. but no luck so far, and not something I could redistribute anyway. It has a huuuuuuge pile of dependancies (libs) needed from the phone :p

But yeah, it does illustrate that pnd-files can have icons of their own; the others on there are all generic-icon since we didn't put icon files in them :)

jeff

Gruso said:
Wheels said:
FRY WHY ARE YOU TALKING TO FRY???
Give him a break, he's his own grandfather.
Lol, I didn't notice we had the same avatar :D

Farnsworth: For example, if you killed your grandfather, you'd cease to exist!
Fry: But existing is basically all I do!

Farnsworth: And remember, don't do anything that affects anything, unless it turns out you were supposed to, in which case, for the love of God, don't not do it!

Thanks for the vids Jeff. :)
Ditto

Nice vids, quality was not at all shoddy IMO :D .
And if you plan on making another vid, can you do Epic Pinball for Dosbox....please?
It was my childhood favorite and I just want to know if it will run at a playable speed.

I'm sure ED or Craig is working on a video; Pickle is the master of course, who knows?

Make me a list, maybe I'll cherry pick a few if I've got them, as long as their no complex setup. (No promises though, time is pretty tight around here, and the next week we're all on vacation so I'm entertaining my little girl most of the time :)

(Epic Pinball works okay IIRC, been a lot of months since I tried it, but its a pretty early game.. 1992 or something, so I think she was okay.)

jeff

Top of my interest -- Civ 1, Wizardry 7, Wing Commander 1, Master of Magic, Warcraft 2, Dune 2, Command and Conquer 1. I should set up an SD with those on it and fire them up in a row or something :) I've not tried them on a recent build of dosbox (Pickle just did one, I should check it out), so I dunno how they're going but so far Dosbox is working pretty well on the Panda from my limited tests.

skeezix said:
I'm sure ED or Craig is working on a video; Pickle is the master of course, who knows?

Make me a list, maybe I'll cherry pick a few if I've got them, as long as their no complex setup. (No promises though, time is pretty tight around here, and the next week we're all on vacation so I'm entertaining my little girl most of the time :)

(Epic Pinball works okay IIRC, been a lot of months since I tried it, but its a pretty early game.. 1992 or something, so I think she was okay.)

jeff

Top of my interest -- Civ 1, Wizardry 7, Wing Commander 1, Master of Magic, Warcraft 2, Dune 2, Command and Conquer 1. I should set up an SD with those on it and fire them up in a row or something :) I've not tried them on a recent build of dosbox (Pickle just did one, I should check it out), so I dunno how they're going but so far Dosbox is working pretty well on the Panda from my limited tests.

Cool thanks for the info!

How is dosbox packaged? Do you include the emulator as well as the game in a package for each game you want to play or do you have the game in a directory on the sd card somewhere and just launch dosbox and 'cd' to it through the command prompt?

Dosbox is usually configured to mount a directory as drive C.. I just setthe conf to be /dosbox on the sd.. So the pnd Included the emu and some
confs only, with the games on the sd in their own dirs

jeff

please, somebody should try out dungeon keeper!
i´m keen on seeing if pandora can also deal with such challenging kinds of dos games...

ZoxFox said:
please, somebody should try out dungeon keeper!
i´m keen on seeing if pandora can also deal with such challenging kinds of dos games...

OMG. If I can play Dungeon Keeper as well I'll be a super happy man. One of my favourite games of all time.

After I was told that x86 PC games wouldn't run unless they were really old I put aside my hopes for anything like this, but perhaps these titles are just old enough.

Yes, please somebody test Dungeon Keeper.

Back