Dosbox 0.70 - Suggest A' Game(tm)

Pickle posted on Mar 23 2007 at 04:25 AM said:
I think this thread has left reality. Most of these games are dreams getting them to even run on dosbox. Even if we get a dynarec someday many of these wont run right.
i agree. games like omf2097 and probably td2192 are indeed great games, and i'd love to see them on gp2x as well, but realistically one would need double or more the speed available to us to run them

i am trying to think of the games i used to play on my 286, back in the day. here's what i came up with:

sopwith (side-scrolling biplane game)
digger
castle adventure by kevin bayles (simple roguelike)
day of the tentacle (yes, it did run on my 12mhz 286 and took up most of my 21mb hard drive)
sam & max hit the road
space quest, leisure suit larry, etc (or is there already a sierra agi interpreter ported?)
alley cat (even though it's already on the archive, bundle it anyway, it rules!)
janitor joe
sim city
jetpack!!!
bad blood (quite a lengthy topdown rpg, very good)
captain comic
where in europe is carmen sandiego (may require typing to solve mystery, cant remember)
wasteland (another good rpg, predecessor to fallout)
dracula in london
indianapolis 500
dune 1
defender of the crown
overkill
street rod 1 & 2 (YES YES YES DO THIS YAY STREET ROD ETC)
688 attack sub
star goose (really awesome vertical scroller)

it might not run too well, but magic carpet 1 may be worth a try?

i reckon you could get system shock and ultima underworld running fairly decently, i'll bet alot of people would love to see these

you could also just trawl the-underdogs.info, listing games by year up until say 1995 (486s became fairly mainstream in early-94, most things earlier than that should run)

hmm, this is getting me all nostalgic. i should sit down and learn how to write mapper.txt files and do some of these myself

Last edited by a moderator:
Fargo posted on Mar 22 2007 at 01:52 PM said:
Pickle posted on Mar 22 2007 at 09:25 PM said:
I think this thread has left reality. Most of these games are dreams getting them to even run on dosbox. Even if we get a dynarec someday many of these wont run right.
So, what is your suggestion? :)

anything thats EGA/CGA i think could have a chance.

I did try stunts on the .65 version, but it was too slow. Doubt .70 is much different.

Super Jamie posted on Mar 23 2007 at 09:42 AM said:
i reckon you could get system shock and ultima underworld running fairly decently, i'll bet alot of people would love to see these
Last I checked, System Shock didn't run too well on an AMD64 system, so it probably won't work on the GP2X. Actually, I'll try it with the new dosbox right now.

EDIT: Nope, still not playable. Incidentally, the dosbox manpage says:

At present, dosbox run on a 1.7 Gigahertz PC is roughly the equivalent of a 25MHz 386 PC.
Can the GP2X really emulate a 16MHz 386 with sound? That's impressive.

Blah posted on Mar 23 2007 at 06:18 PM said:
I will try The Incredible Machine on the Macintosh emulator later.

You need a mouse for that right?, does dosbox for the gp2x have mouse support?

Internall it has Mouse Support, and I'm sure a breakout box would allow mouse input.

On a standalone Gp2x though theres no mouse for it to work with (but you still get the mouse pointer sticking up in the left hand corner)

I wish I could map it to the SDL mouse to control it but it's above my head now but I'm hoping if I get a co-worker or 2 on this project better things could happen apart from me just grundgin the code for the gp2x compile.

Sorry for the delay on this release though, I've just bought an 8800GTX video card and getting that installed has took prioity for the next day or too.

I'll be testing games soon though.

Regards
bOing

gavie posted on Mar 23 2007 at 12:22 PM said:
Blah posted on Mar 23 2007 at 06:18 PM said:
I will try The Incredible Machine on the Macintosh emulator later.

You need a mouse for that right?, does dosbox for the gp2x have mouse support?

The Macintosh emulator, Basilisk2x, has mouse support.

And, TIM is playable!

OMF2097!!!!!!!

It is completely freeware now.

I have tried my best but I cannot get dosbox to launch anything other than its default app, so if a premade config file was supplied to launch the games that would be helpful

I've posted a release with alone in the dark 1 and tyrian demos on the gp2x archive, I'm just hoping it updates soon as it's 24 hours and no e-mail from admin to update my file.

the other games should be tested and if working released in config packs my guess, I've tried a few and everything seems to be working good on soom games.

Regards
bOing

Is AloneITD demo running smooth? I go to bed now, tomorrow i will try it, thank you ;)

it played just, seems ok - bit slow but I didn't really have time to mess with it though, sorry :(

Just wanted to get the first release out to update you's to the latest version.

Regards
bOing

Well, I know I'm coming late to this party, but it'd be wonderful if the V for Victory games would run in this.

http://www.abandonia.com/games/646/VforVictory

They're abandonware, and they aren't particularly resource intensive - they're Operational level turn-based World War II strategy games, and they're quite good. Being able to play them on the go would be a treat - they require mouse support, tho'...

Another classic in a similar vein would be UFO Enemy Unknown

http://www.abandonia.com/games/38/download...nemyUnknown.htm

thanks!

:)

Back