Dosbox 0.70.1 Released

I'm testing Stunts, and did you know theres an option to cut down on the graphics.

It seems to be nearly playable after a bit of tweaking, so I'm working on that now.

Maybe getting 3 car / racer type games as the first game pack for Dosbox.

Regards
bOing

Also I forgot to tell everyone, theres a new option for Cycles, you can set this to cycles=auto as Dosbox 0.70 has auto guessing code.

It may help if you try that first.

My Dosbox config for Stunts looks like this :

Code:
[sdl]
fulldouble=false
output=surface
sensitivity=100
mapperfile=mapper.txt

[dosbox]
machine=vga
memsize=4

[cpu]
core=simple
cycles=auto
cycleup=100
cycledown=100

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=11025
blocksize=64
prebuffer=1000

[sblaster]
sbtype=none
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=11025

[gus]
gus=false
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=false
pcrate=8000
tandy=auto
tandyrate=11025
disney=false

[joystick]
joysticktype=none

[dos]
xms=false
ems=false
umb=false

[autoexec]
MOUNT C "/mnt/sd/dosbox/stunts"
C:
ST.COM

with graphic options down and your config, gameplay is quite smooth, but still about 1/3rd realtime speed
good work tho :) much better than mine

by the way, is there any way of telling how fast cycles=auto is setting emulated cycles? i know with windows dosbox there is a -noconsole commandline switch, which directs all output to stdout.txt, but i don't believe that's present in non-win32 builds

I managed to get Battle of Britain: Their Finest Hour to work, but unfortunately it then asks me to insert disk 2 :(
Is there any way around this?

p.s. Thanks for all your efforts bOingball!

Khan posted on Mar 27 2007 at 09:50 AM said:
WOW!! Finally!
I craved for playing my favourite adventure games on the go :) ( Fingers crossed for playable speeds :p )

Thank you BoingBall!!!
(off-topic)It's probably better to use ScummVM for those games that work with it (this should include most LucasArts titles and the earlier Sierra games). For 2nd generation Sierra games like LSL2 and 3 there is FreeSCI. I ported this to GP2X many months ago, but never released it, as it seems too annoying to play with a virtual keyboard. At least on the GP32 we had the chatboard. If there is any demand for FreeSCI on GP2X let me know and I'll try to dig up my files.

Last edited by a moderator:
Virtual keyboard for SCI games? The earlier ones, I suppose. I was refering to the ones that don´t require input commands (Laura Bow: Dagger of Amon Ra, Space Quest 4 & 5, Gabriel Knight...) but I´m afraid they are unsupported by FreeSCI, as it´s in a very early development stage.
Besides Lucasarts, there were some excellent titles by Infogrames (Eternam, Shadow of the Comet, Alone in the Dark...) or Accolade/Horrorsoft (Well, not conventional adventure games...:p).

I hope FreeSCI project evolves in the right direction.

Khan posted on Mar 28 2007 at 04:01 PM said:
Virtual keyboard for SCI games? The earlier ones, I suppose. I was refering to the ones that don´t require input commands (Laura Bow: Dagger of Amon Ra, Space Quest 4 & 5, Gabriel Knight...) but I´m afraid they are unsupported by FreeSCI, as it´s in a very early development stage.
Well, the typing games are supported pretty well. Support for the newer games like SQ4 is in progress.

In any case, it's likely that ScummVM supports several adventure games by LucasArts and other companies that you're interested in. They should work much faster in ScummVM than they do in Dosbox.

bOingball posted on Mar 28 2007 at 01:14 AM said:
I'm testing Stunts, and did you know theres an option to cut down on the graphics.

It seems to be nearly playable after a bit of tweaking, so I'm working on that now.

Maybe getting 3 car / racer type games as the first game pack for Dosbox.

Regards
bOing

Also I forgot to tell everyone, theres a new option for Cycles, you can set this to cycles=auto as Dosbox 0.70 has auto guessing code.

It may help if you try that first.

Sounds promising. :)
What can do the "Core" options on GP2X? I know from PC Dosbox Settings like "Dynamic" can incredible increase performance.
And will there be an Frontend for GP2X Dosbox? Maybe someone should talk with the dev's from D-fend frontend. I like to config my Dosbox live on GP2X. :)
http://members.home.nl/mabus/

or this?:
http://www.freewebs.com/erikgg/
even in JAVA:
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/blankendaalr/dbgl/

The Phantom posted on Mar 28 2007 at 04:08 PM said:
Well, the typing games are supported pretty well. Support for the newer games like SQ4 is in progress.
In any case, it's likely that ScummVM supports several adventure games by LucasArts and other companies that you're interested in. They should work much faster in ScummVM than they do in Dosbox.

I hope so. Time will tell...
Anyway, Dosbox hasn´t showed all it´s potential on GP2X. I wonder how much boost can be achieved with a dynarec and several tricks/optimizations (Zottd will tell...;))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEg2zXh3R1M

Videotest

Megagun posted on Mar 27 2007 at 01:00 PM said:
Zeladin posted on Mar 27 2007 at 01:09 PM said:
Hey Great! Tyrian!! I would say though that you should probably map the diagonals to a combi of down and across, it means you can't go diagonally currently. (not a problem for me of course, I know where the mapper file is and what it does!).
Say, can you give us all some help on how to do that? I know the mapper file pretty well, but I forgot how to implement a proper 8way stick using that.. :/

Aaanyways, I know a lot of people want 'Skyroads'.. Well, that's probably not possible since it requires a too hefty PC which Dosbox can't currently emulate well..
However... There's the prequel to Skyroads, called 'Kosmonaut' (http://www.bluemoon.ee/history/kosmonaut/index.html), and I've prepped it up so that it plays perfectly on the GP2x. I even hexedited the .exe so that buttons in the game are named correctly ('B' and 'Start' instead of 'Space' and 'Escape') :)

Includes a .png icon, too. Easy to install (extract to SDroot:\dosbox, if you have dosbox extracted to the root of your SD)..

Get it here:
http://home.deds.nl/~megagun/temp/Kosmonaut.rar (72 kb)
If you're new to Kosmonaut (even when you have played Skyroads!), remember to hit A at the intro screen to get a demo of how to play)!
If anyone knows how to implement a proper 8way stick in Mapper.txt, please let me know so I can edit the thing.. :) Have fun :)

Edit: It might be nice, if there was a simple, advanced mapper.txt configuration that includes all of the following:
*8way stick
*space, escape and enter keys
*two modifiers (VOL+ and VOL-) which allow for extra keys, namely:
1) number keys
2) F1-f12 keys
3) Frameskip increase/decrease
4) CPU cycles increase/decrease
*commonly used other keys (letters, such as S, P, Q and X which often control various stuff in games/programs)

I
LOVE
YOU

fusion_power posted on Mar 28 2007 at 07:27 AM said:
What can do the "Core" options on GP2X? I know from PC Dosbox Settings like "Dynamic" can incredible increase performance.

This selects how the processor is emulated. Simple is faster but not as compatible. Normal is slower but more compatible, and Dynamic doesn't work on the 2X.

Actually, that looks like it's about the same speed Tyrian-wise as my 386 was. I wonder if the in-game speed setting was on turbo. And of course whether the Super Turbo option can easily be enabled (can't remember the cheat code, but might help :) ).

Tobriand posted on Mar 29 2007 at 08:39 AM said:
Actually, that looks like it's about the same speed Tyrian-wise as my 386 was. I wonder if the in-game speed setting was on turbo. And of course whether the Super Turbo option can easily be enabled (can't remember the cheat code, but might help :) ).

In that video I guess it wasn't on Turbo, but you can set it to Turbo by pressing select when playing.

I'm glad everyones getting some fun out of this Dosbox release.

I hope some day we have close to real speed and a front end.

I could look at programming a front end I guess, but I'm not the best programmer, but if I set my mind too it, code usually comes out ;)

bOing

saehn posted on Mar 29 2007 at 11:06 AM said:
Has anyone tried out Civilization in mouse mode?

FWIW, Civilization works very nicely in the ST emu; DOSBox might get hard drive support though so less 'disk flipping', but it shoudl be pretty playable on the ST version. (ST version is near identical to the PC version.)

jeff

isn't comanche 1.0 a typical 386-dos-game?
should it not work in dosbox?

Back