Dos Box Question

andy9841

I suspect I already know the answer to this question..

I was wondering, if a game works fine in DOS Box on a Windows PC and the same version is ported to the Pandora, does this mean that games that work on that will also work on the Pandora?

I just want Pandora/Screamer 2 in my life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MjGDcFA1zE

Generally that is correct. However, some DOS games run too slow. I would suggest you ask someone with a pandora to run it and report back etc. There other threads where people with pandora's have asked for suggestions.
Cheers!

Andy G said:
I was wondering, if a game works fine in DOS Box on a Windows PC and the same version is ported to the Pandora, does this mean that games that work on that will also work on the Pandora?
Set the cycle count to about 5000, that's a reasonable estimate as to whether something should work or not. Not a guarantee, but it'll give a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy G said:
I suspect I already know the answer to this question..

I just want Pandora/Screamer 2 in my life:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7MjGDcFA1zE

No way:
Screamer is an arcade style racing game for the PC, released in 1995. The game shares some graphical and gameplay style with Namco's popular Ridge Racer. The game featured texture mapped polygon-modelled tracks and cars. Software rendering was used in the game, due to the game's release before the wide spread adoption of 3D graphics cards, unlike Screamer's two sequels Screamer 2 and Screamer Rally, that both utilized 3D hardware. As a result Screamer was one of the early games to really require a Pentium processor to run at full speed, particularly in SVGA mode.

486 DX2 (66MHz Min) or compatibles

and its 3d so probably uses the FP emulation

socket said:
I'd go as low as 3000 cycles for a more realistic estimate.
3000 is the number I went with on my main computer, and it was fairly close to my results on my Pandora. On my main box, even at this, it was a little faster, admittedly, but it was useful for ballpark estimates.

Thanks for the replies guys.. Not exactly sure what you mean by 3000/5000 cycles. But then I dont have my Pandora yet :(

So.. Guessing it will not run reading Pickles answer

Andy G said:
Thanks for the replies guys.. Not exactly sure what you mean by 3000/5000 cycles. But then I dont have my Pandora yet :(
You can specify in DosBox the number of cycles to emulate. It has nothing to do with the Pandora specifically, it's a feature of DosBox. Press ctrl-F11 and ctrl-F12 to decrease and increase the number of cycles.
The Pandora can emulate about 3000 (which I had thought was 5000, sorry) cycles (approximately) with reasonable success.

Basically the "cycles" will be equivalent on a PC or on the Pandora, where the Pandora's max is probably between 3000 and 5000. You can limit the emulator's cycles to a set maximum. So if you test a game on your pc running DOSBox limited to 3500 cycles, it should give you a good idea of how your tested game will run on the Pandora.

:ph34r:

Back