Will The Pandora Will Be Able To Run The 3d Arcade Sega Games?

Pretty sure the likes of Tomb Raider and Exhumed were both better on the Saturn, as were most FPS that used the Exhumed engine.

Again, it could do real transparancies, but most programmers couldnt be arsed to put the time into doing them! Panzer Zwei has some fantastic transparency effects in the water and Burning Rangers fire transparancies were amazing.

Plus have you seen some of the later tech demos (some were released in Japan, others not) which demonstrated that VF3 could have been released for the system - they were frighteningly good, plus Shenmue was a scarilly good proof of concept too!

Seen one or two great POC's on PS1 as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
'x68000' said:
Pretty sure the likes of Tomb Raider and Exhumed were both better on the Saturn, as were most FPS that used the Exhumed engine.

Again, it could do real transparancies, but most programmers couldnt be arsed to put the time into doing them! Panzer Zwei has some fantastic transparency effects in the water and Burning Rangers fire transparancies were amazing.

Plus have you seen some of the later tech demos (some were released in Japan, others not) which demonstrated that VF3 could have been released for the system - they were frighteningly good, plus Shenmue was a scarilly good proof of concept too!

Seen one or two great POC''s on PS1 as well.
Tomb Raider certainly wasn't as good on the Saturn, i owned the PS1 version and remember playing the Saturn version and thought urgh!
Exhumed was good though, but I'm sure it could have been done on the PS1 no problem.
I totally agree it was the programmers that got the most out of the machine, but it was Sega's fault for making such a mess of it, the Saturn was only originally going to have a 1/3 of its power but then Sony released specs of the PS1 and Sega quickly came back by adding 2 more processors, but the whole thing was a mess to program for.
I remember now that a few of the later games did have transparent water effects but this was only because of the all the fuss about the Saturn not being able to do it, another factor in ending the machines life early.
I've seen the Shenmue demo sure it's great, but so are the PS1 demo's, but even with the programmers finally getting to grips with the hardware the PS1 was still the more powerful console, i'm not a Sony fanboy, far from it though, i only bought a PS2 for pro evo, i orginally went the Dreamcast, Xbox 1 route, i hate the Sony PR BS (RIP Dreamcast, a true gaming console, unlike PS2/3), but i know a good game or system when i see one.

'x68000' said:
....and since you love Virtua Racing, you need to try the MD version in a Sega Nomad, for some reason it plays about 20% faster than it should (must be a incompatibility issue with the SVP) but it makes a major difference, plus it looks superb on such a small screen!
Sure it's not running at NTSC/PAL 60hz rather than regular PAL 50? :)

Back