Does The Pandora Have A Rotating Hinge By Any Chance?

gohmifune

Still Fresh
It is clamshell, and this can be a very good thing, but, it seems cumbersome when watching movies, and you only need access to the face. It should rotate I believe, like tablet pcs do, has this been considered?

While I don't think thats a bad idea I think it should only rotate if it wont make it any weaker as having a strong hinge is more important.

or maybe a hing that can go completely to the back. if you want it tablet like that you can turn the screen untill it's against the bottom. similar result, and probably less fragile. it would probably require a double hinge or so to pull this of, but why not ^^

gohmifune said:
It is clamshell, and this can be a very good thing, but, it seems cumbersome when watching movies, and you only need access to the face. It should rotate I believe, like tablet pcs do, has this been considered?
Dumb ass question. It's been discussed to death already.

Last edited by a moderator:
gohmifune said:
... except that it's a great way to watch movies.
As a clamshell, you could just set it on a table and adjust it to your viewing angle.
This frees up your hands for any other 'activities' as well... like eating popcorn.

It has been discussed quite a bit and determined that there are patent issues with the tablet style. But that was in regard to the twist-around style.

There is a patent on the fold back style as well, but I understand it only applies to being able to type from behind the screen.

Here is an interesting design that is probably breaking all kinds of patents. :D

http://www.pocketables.net/2008/01/e-lead-electron.html

Shiny said:
... except that it's a great way to watch movies.
As a clamshell, you could just set it on a table and adjust it to your viewing angle.
This frees up your hands for any other 'activities' as well...
:lol:

Thinking about it a foldback design would make the touchscreen more usefull and would make DS emulation more practical than it would be with the current design...

Foldback design would make using the touchscreen easier indeed but it would be awkward to suddenly have the sticks and controls on the bottom of the unit. I think the best solution would still be a clamshell design which also enables you to slide the screen over the keyboard for console style gaming. This is the best and sturdiest compromise for all purposes. If it only wasn't such a patent mine-field.

Right, I had a bit of a eureka moment about 10 minutes ago. I can't render and I sketch, so i did what every good inventor would(nt) do, here's my MS paint mock-up.

pandorahinge.png

If you don't understand it, just ask, but the main idea is that the screen can be slid upwards away from the bottom, when the clamshell is open, and rotated. then it is slid back down so that the screen is now facing outwards when closed again.

Maybe someone who understands it better would be able to make a better mockup.

:)

Nova said:
Right, I had a bit of a eureka moment about 10 minutes ago. I can't render and I sketch, so i did what every good inventor would(nt) do, here's my MS paint mock-up.

pandorahinge.png

If you don't understand it, just ask, but the main idea is that the screen can be slid upwards away from the bottom, when the clamshell is open, and rotated. then it is slid back down so that the screen is now facing outwards when closed again.

Maybe someone who understands it better would be able to make a better mockup.

:)
That's not a bad idea if they can do it well. But the question is one of engineering and price...

Just to clarify, I really don't think it needs a tablet mode. You can always grip it from the bottom. As for videos, most prtable DVD players already have this design. Digital video players wouldn't need an extra component, so a tablet style makes the most sense for those.

Sphinxter said:
Interesting, how would the necessary electrical connections and conduits stay connected while twirling the display in that drawing?
Haha! I knew I'd forgotten something!

Twirly, twirly, twirly.. Like a windmill, whee! Isn't there an electronic equivalent to the ball-and-socket joint?

quartercast said:
Twirly, twirly, twirly.. Like a windmill, whee! Isn't there an electronic equivalent to the ball-and-socket joint?
I'm sure there is, but like I said, it's an issue of engineering and price. The little stick arms seem like they'd be a bit flimsy.

Actually my last post is wrong, a fold back screen wouldent make DS emulation more practical at all cos you wouldent be able to use the D-pad and buttons with it folded back.

DS emulation... :rolleyes: I'll believe it when i see it.
Well, maybe for DS emulation it would be practical to rotate the screen 90 degrees sideways :)

Ill have to add my vote for a table-style flip around. If offered I would pay extra for such an option. For the same reason I spent so much time looking for a clam-flip around dvd player, vehicle use and videos. Your a fool if you don't think people would choose this over a the current design. With that said, decisions may have been made for structural integrity and costs.

What may be possible is if the current design internals could accomodate such an after market mod. Charge me $39.99-49.99 for a parts kit to mod my own afterwards and I'm buying it.

Back