Anybody Else Have A "defective" Hinge?

Azure

Trust the recursion...
I meant to post this when I first got my Pandora, but I've been busy with real life stuff at the moment (and my SD card getting corrupted while tinkering with psx4pandora certainly didn't help with Pandora time...). Anyhow, my hinge doesn't exactly work as it is supposed to; it doesn't snap shut (and doesn't really lock into any position per se). It seems like there is the same amount of resistance at almost all the angles. I can actually keep the Pandora open much less than 1 centimeter at the edge of the lid and it doesn't snap shut. I'm just curious if anybody else has a similar hinge? This is kind of a blessing in disguise because it allows me to use the Pandora at virtually any angle I want (including angled like the DS, which is how I prefer to use it) because there's more than enough resistance that the lid won't move from general shaking or stylus use...I just fear that perhaps this "defect" will result in larger problems in the future through more wear and tear.

Still waiting for mine personally, but speaking for a work colleague who received theirs days ago, it seems it's as intended. It doesn't appear to snap into place at any point. I'm told others have said the same thing on this here forum.

Azure said:
I meant to post this when I first got my Pandora, but I've been busy with real life stuff at the moment (and my SD card getting corrupted while tinkering with psx4pandora certainly didn't help with Pandora time...). Anyhow, my hinge doesn't exactly work as it is supposed to; it doesn't snap shut (and doesn't really lock into any position per se). It seems like there is the same amount of resistance at almost all the angles. I can actually keep the Pandora open much less than 1 centimeter at the edge of the lid and it doesn't snap shut. I'm just curious if anybody else has a similar hinge? This is kind of a blessing in disguise because it allows me to use the Pandora at virtually any angle I want (including angled like the DS, which is how I prefer to use it) because there's more than enough resistance that the lid won't move from general shaking or stylus use...I just fear that perhaps this "defect" will result in larger problems in the future through more wear and tear.

Mine, locks flat but currently I can also adjust to any viewing position. 99% of the time I like the intended position given the higher positioning of the keys, although I have used the DS position a couple of times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine snaps fully open (just under 180 degrees from closed) and fully closed. It used to have a bit more resistance, meaning I could put it at any angle but, now it's broken in a bit, it's kinda floppy between the two extremes. I will probably do something to increase the resistance or somehow adjust the "snap" position as I also prefer a more DS-like angle.

Closing it to within a centimeter should cause it to snap shut. If the prototype I used was any indication, it should be entirely obvious where the lock position is. Weird that you aren't getting that. Perhaps the lock part of the hinge was missed when yours was assembled.

Tokiopop said:
I hope mine is like this. I always hated the angle they choose for it to 'click'.

You get used to it, honestly. If I go back to my DS the screen seems tilted too forwards! Now the DS is annoying me, not the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly have not seen the issue with the mid-swing detente being missing. The Pandora works and plays very well in the fully extended position, and its really the most comfortable way to play it, even when you're laying flat on your back in bed.

Back