Do You Think There Will Be Quality Titles For This?

Regarding CoD6:MW2, note that the dev had a pretty high budget; they _spent_ that much, but Activision was willing to give them more; the money that Infinity Ward didn't take they threw into advertising anyway.

ie: The dev was certainly not starved in that case

And I bet they have a hear-infinite budget for MW3 ;) (For my part I think the game is sort of fail .. MW1 was great. MW2 has no story (it entirely derails itself half way through and never goes back to the first rail!), has a great but short single player (I suck as a gamer and have a small kid, and I beet the game in 2 nights.. like 7 hours?), and the MP is poorly grouped; how is it as a lvl 1, 2, 3, 4 (see, I suck, just starting out) I'm usually always in a match with _only_ level 70s? I doubt the entire gaming worls is purely level-max guys now, and on XBoxLive there should be less cheating .. its pretty uncool to put the newest players in matches with the most experienced and fully levelled up special abilities etc... I'd rather wait the extra 30s to find more newbies like me ;) .. So MW2 is poor on all fronts .. but SP is still totally kick ass for 7 hours .. thats $10/hour folks!

jeff

Ugh, speaking of Cave Story, maybe we can get a real release what with the appstore and being able to buy games? I wish!

Actually, I wouldn't rule out EA completely. They have a lot of games built to run on multiple smartphone platforms with very similar hardware to the Pandora. They just ported a few of their games to the Palm Pre with minimal effort. As long as we don't expect more than a quick port and on the other hand, are prepared to pay 10-20$ for it, we might be just be able to convince them to port one or two quality titles to test the market. I don't think they have their games on the N900, yet, but if they do put them on there, making a Pandora version should be really trivial, and thus worth the money. They won't have to spend much on advertising, either, our community is able to do that by ourselves as long as the games are good.

I'm much more looking forward to the indie games, though. The recent ioquake3 announcement, for example, means that we get Smokin' Guns already. Many other Indie games are already cross platform or on the iPhone and should thus be easily ported. Of course, there are a lot of awesome developments happening in our very own community as well. There will easily be enough quality stuff to play, just like there was on the Zodiac, for example.

OrR said:
The recent ioquake3 announcement, for example, means that we get Smokin' Guns already.

Whoa, I knew about Tremulous, but Smokin' Guns too?
Haha! Excellent!

Last edited by a moderator:
mindlord said:
The Mac wasn't very much of a moving target but it got no love either.
Remember when Halo was going to be the next big title for gaming on Macintosh? :rolleyes:

Svartalf, you mean? :p

I was wondering about him earlier, oddly enough, because I finally got around to trying the demo of Caster (which if I'm remembering right he was working on the Linux port of - it's great fun, I can't wait to be able to get a Pandora version).

Are you out there, Svartalf? :p

ha ha ha quality games... yeah, everything from SEGA Genesis to N64 to PlayStation. can't go wrong with those quality games... there's literally 1000's of them!

For me the most interesting, quality, games are going to be independent 100%. Sure it'd be nice to have a 'real publisher' onboard, but all 'real publishers' were once independent and small, too .. so it'll be a lot more interesting to see if some of you one-man wondershops can produce a few interesting titles that help you step up into the light ..

Ugh, speaking of Cave Story, maybe we can get a real release what with the appstore and being able to buy games? I wish!
I once briefly discussed this with the people doing the WiiWare port. I personally think it could happen, but only after the WiiWare version is out and the Pandora is established on the market.

Simon Parzer said:
I once briefly discussed this with the people doing the WiiWare port. I personally think it could happen, but only after the WiiWare version is out and the Pandora is established on the market.

There's no way you could release a dynamically linked version of the port you've already done, eh? Like, say, as a "bugfix release" for the GP2X? Or a recompile of the x86 Linux version for ARM Linux? You know, jumping through loopholes.

fusion_power said:
Give John Carmack a Pandora and see waht happens B)

I vote for it. Seriously.

WizardStan said:
EA and other big companies will avoid the Pandora because it's too small, not because of piracy.

i'd have thought EA would not be making games for it because........ there is nothing to make games for, now or.... anytime soon.

quadomatic said:
lol, I don't think he'd do much with it, but I'd just like to hear what he thought

Maybe I'm a fanboy, but I love reading anything he has to say about video games, or computing in general.

Prometheus said:
Svartalf, you mean? :p

I was wondering about him earlier, oddly enough, because I finally got around to trying the demo of Caster (which if I'm remembering right he was working on the Linux port of - it's great fun, I can't wait to be able to get a Pandora version).

Are you out there, Svartalf? :p

That's the one, but it does not appear he's been here since April so he may have given up on us or stepped in front of a bus or something.

Sphinxter said:
That's the one, but it does not appear he's been here since April so he may have given up on us or stepped in front of a bus or something.
He's active on the phoronix boards, if someone wants to contact him.

To be honest I'm a little skeptic. Personally I don't care as I ordered because of emulation and all-around awesomeness (it's a computer FFS), but I will definitely keep my eye on realized titles.

Back