Do You See Gamepark Going Big In The Future?

spouting gushers of propaganda said:
Sonic Team has become like a slow-motion train wreck that won't end since about 2002. They don't produce any hardware, either. There's really not much more of Sega than a memory.

what did you smoke?

sonic battle on gba is the best brawler i've played, released in 2003/04 ... i really wish sega would make a console version for ANY system, it would be so much more fun against friends than ai!

Last edited by a moderator:
gp2x_keyboard.jpg

Paradox posted on Sep 26 2006 at 05:05 PM said:
DBH posted on Sep 26 2006 at 07:55 PM said:
One of your renders? Looking sweet.
Guess that answers the rendering question. Anywho, that keyboard thingy you made looks kick ass, as do all your GP2X renders though. Yeah, and Gamepark cannot compete with the big show companies for one reason, they encourage development from the community, and commercial games will be pirated if the GP gets too big. And with the open development, it would be oh so much easier to crack and hack security on games to play them.

sam fisher posted on Sep 26 2006 at 05:20 PM said:
jmetal88 posted on Sep 26 2006 at 10:18 PM said:
Goity posted on Sep 26 2006 at 04:16 PM said:
PSyMastR posted on Sep 26 2006 at 10:10 PM said:
DemonStar55 posted on Sep 26 2006 at 03:41 PM said:
Shikaku posted on Sep 26 2006 at 03:40 PM said:
Vimacs posted on Sep 26 2006 at 03:35 PM said:
what did you smoke?
This is stupid.

<_< yeah...yeah.....BRICKS TO YOUR GP2X!!!!!!

DBH posted on Sep 26 2006 at 11:55 PM said:

Now all you need to add is a D-pad to the render and you would have something.

It looks to me that gamepark is still aiming at a Korean market especially with the XGP (ie: dmb and all). Not to mention that their website hasn't been updated in a while except to inform that the gp32 has been discontinued due to unavailability of parts.

Whether they go commercial or not they are still small fish compared to the big boys. You have to remember that in Korea, there are about a 50 other companies making PMPs, it's common place to see someone with a DMB / PMP / GAME machine or whatever. Most of the new cell phones here in Korea could give the xgp mini or kids a run for their money.

The smart thing about Gamepark Holdings is that they made the gp2x according to what the community wanted, including the international community. That was smart marketing.

No one. really knows what direction Gamepark will go until they show us the final product everything i've see or heard is all heresay nothing solid.

DaveC posted on Sep 27 2006 at 12:02 AM said:
DBH posted on Sep 26 2006 at 11:55 PM said:

Now all you need to add is a D-pad to the render and you would have something.

bulky & looks uncomftorable, go with a touch screen just like the DS ** is the DS truly touchscreen? I see this layer of plastic on the bottom touch screen. which has built in sensors.remove that and the touch screen is no longer touch screen**

starpause posted on Sep 26 2006 at 05:12 PM said:
sonic battle on gba is the best brawler i've played, released in 2003/04 ... i really wish sega would make a console version for ANY system, it would be so much more fun against friends than ai!
That game bordered on unplayable, for me. It looked and sounded awful, too. Lots and lots of stolen sprites from the previous GBA games, and those were all miserably bad. Sonic Team doesn't even make GBA titles, they get some company called Dimps to do it. And they are completely incompetent.

It looks to me that gamepark is still aiming at a Korean market especially with the XGP (ie: dmb and all). Not to mention that their website hasn't been updated in a while except to inform that the gp32 has been discontinued due to unavailability of parts.

Whether they go commercial or not they are still small fish compared to the big boys. You have to remember that in Korea, there are about a 50 other companies making PMPs, it's common place to see someone with a DMB / PMP / GAME machine or whatever. Most of the new cell phones here in Korea could give the xgp mini or kids a run for their money.

The smart thing about Gamepark Holdings is that they made the gp2x according to what the community wanted, including the international community. That was smart marketing.
GamePark's using community input via forums and e-mail to shape the design for the XGP/XGP Mini-- they've stated they want to redesign the machines to make them more competitive and up-to-date due to the time delay in launching them. They'd like to boost the specs and alter the design to be more popular, for example, they are leaning towards replacing the Analog stick on the XGP with a D-Pad, and have stated that for non-Korean/German regions (cannot recieve DMB broadcasts) they may add a different feature for those units-- perhaps GPS support.

As for the cell phones bit .. I kind of doubt most cell phones are using 200 MHz+ ARM9s and 2D/3D accelerators this powerful, and I would not want to play on those controls or a screen that tiny. :p If they go with the S3C2460 chipset suggestion I made, which they are considering, there'd also be a Vector Floating Point processor, a 16-bit programmable 100 Mhz DSP and a 266 MHz-native ARM9 to play with (not a 200 MHz one). Now, the Kids .. yes, it's not hard to beat that machine. :p They're making it for a niche most of us don't seem to fully understand .. people who don't play games. Why you'd buy a machine for games if you don't play them though, I'm not sure...

Cervante posted on Sep 26 2006 at 08:34 PM said:
Can you see gamepark as a big competitor in the future? Taking on Nintendo, Microsoft & Sony in handheld or console wars? or will they become a mere legend like Sega, Magnavox, Intelvision , Atari & so forth...
Ignoring all the silly posts in this thread, you did ask an interesting question. Myself I can't see Gamepark, or Gamepark Holdings going big. Both companies seem to have their sights set in the same direction, that is the open source consumer. I have a feeling that both will be around for a while yet.

What I do see however is a little competition appearing between the both companies. This is inevitable as they appear to be after the same intended audience. I wonder if there will be a member split on the board after the XGP is released and we start coding for it?

Back