Do people want redesigned nubs for the next pandora?

I have been playing gran turismo to test the nubs again and it has been really funny, believe me, the response of the analogs was different from a turn to another, no to talk how they got stuck in a direction from time to time.

This remembered that time a few years ago when I tried to play mario kart for snes with a friend of mine a night that we where completely drunk, the expereience is more or less the same.

Jokes aside from people's answers I can only conclude that quality varies a lot from a unit to another as well as owner expectation or necessity.

I am very glad to hear that craig has thought a while in the matter. I hope they can find a replacement if not for the pandora for the product3.

If clamshell = I want them to work and look exactly like the circle pad (3DS)

If not clam = I want them to work and look exactly like the Vita sticks

There can't be something in between? What's the height of the caanoo analog stick? We have quite a gap between the screen and the base, a stick with not much travel may fit there. Of course I'm talking about something specifically designed for the pandora and we know that would be unaffordable.

I honestly don't get how the 3DS nub is so perfect. The rubber is slippery, it feels and sounds springy, circle movements are impossible, and it feels stiff. Not bad and the next Pandora having one just like it wouldn't be close to a deal-breaker, but I don't get it. Granted, i've only used it twice, once for Super Street Fighter IV and once for Super Mario 3D Land, but I've never seen anyone say that you need to get used to it.

Am I actually the only one who thinks that the Pandora nubs are absolutely okay like they are?

Well, after using the nubs to play FLARE yesterday... I have to say they're not bad at all. Problem is they behave differently from app to app, and even behave differently to each other... Or to themselves from time to time. So in saying that they *can* be quite good, the real issue here is inconsistency. The whole point of using a mechanical tool is that with practice, you learn how it behaves, it becomes an extension of your body and you don't have to think about it anymore. Idealy we need nubs that allow this to happen.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

I honestly don't get how the 3DS nub is so perfect. The rubber is slippery, it feels and sounds springy, circle movements are impossible, and it feels stiff.
Maybe yours is different from most? I've not seen one like that. :blink:

The response on mine is a bit more substantial than that of the Pandora (definitely not stiff), circling is fine, it doesn't make a sound, and it's a lot less slippery than the Pandora ones are (but this latter part is more likely due to differing individual skin make-ups, so everyone's mileage will surely vary on it :p ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I actually the only one who thinks that the Pandora nubs are absolutely okay like they are?

No, I'm in total agreement. ;) As I've said, I actually prefer the Pandora nubs over the 3DS one.

I honestly don't get how the 3DS nub is so perfect. The rubber is slippery, it feels and sounds springy, circle movements are impossible, and it feels stiff.
Maybe yours is different from most? I've not seen one like that. :blink:

It's actually my sister's, not mine. It could be, I suppose, since it's one of the earlier ones, but it's so subtle I doubt it.

The response on mine is a bit more substantial than that of the Pandora (definitely not stiff), circling is fine,

Where you say "response", I say "stiffness". Sure, it might seem like it makes it more precise (though I suspect auto-calibration is the culprit on the Pandora, not looseness), but it also makes it take more effort to move the nub to the extreme. I personally found it to be uncomfortable and it also made it harder for me to make circles on SSF4.

it doesn't make a sound,

The sound my sister's makes is extremely quiet; you probably wouldn't hear it playing a game. So this is just a nitpick, really.

and it's a lot less slippery than the Pandora ones are (but this latter part is more likely due to differing individual skin make-ups, so everyone's mileage will surely vary on it :p ).

The problem is the 3DS nub lacks any sort of texture, so any tiny amount of e.g. sweat makes it much harder to grip.

Like I said, I don't think the 3DS nubs are bad, but I don't think they should be hailed as perfect. My testing also tells me that the problems most people are having are probably the fault of auto-calibration and possibly other software problems, not the actual hardware of the nubs. Just make them rubber and get rid of the auto-calibration and I conjecture that the difference noted by users would be substantial.

Ahh, I see.

It's actually my sister's, not mine. It could be, I suppose, since it's one of the earlier ones, but it's so subtle I doubt it.
Mine's a launch day one also. I haven't a clue if it's changed at all by now.

The problem is the 3DS nub lacks any sort of texture, so any tiny amount of e.g. sweat makes it much harder to grip.
It's not completely smooth - it is ever-so-slightly textured by the nature of the coating, but I see what you mean. I don't think it could use grip-circles, myself, but I know that some folks prefer those. :p

My testing also tells me that the problems most people are having are probably the fault of auto-calibration and possibly other software problems, not the actual hardware of the nubs. Just make them rubber and get rid of the auto-calibration and I conjecture that the difference noted by users would be substantial.
The auto-calibration on the Pandora's nubs is certainly a nuisance for gaming use, in my experience. Would definitely like a rubber coating, but that said, I also don't mind the caps as they are, since I use them primarily for mousing and that would likely continue to be the case with the Pandora 2, should it come into being. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back