DLC-Mania

I never bought a game that is tied to Steam, was fooled once because I didn't find any hint at Amazon or elsewhere about the online activation of Unreal Tournament 3, I never bought a regionally priced game and if something obviously will get DLCs, I usually wait until there is a GOTY edition. Every game I bought in the last years (and I stopped for years before DRM free became a thing) was either indie or quite old and I didn't get Windows 7 because I didn't want to have any DRM in my OS either, which prevents me from using the 64bit of my processor and more than 4gb RAM for the games that would need it most - so yes, I always vote with my wallet and instead of pirating, I let the rest go, but it's not easy when your favourite series are infected all of a sudden like Fallout:NV, Wasteland 2 (which was even crowdfunded! ><) and Starcraft as some examples.
What is the problem with Wasteland 2 ?
Boxed version is a disguised Steam-key and GoG version has really heavy regional pricing, as mentioned somewhere in this thread.

And afaik the game is still full of bugs, but that's something we PC gamers are accustomed to for a long time now..

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the problem with Wasteland 2 ?
 Boxed version is a disguised Steam-key and GoG version has really heavy regional pricing, as mentioned somewhere in this thread.

And afaik the game is still full of bugs, but that's something we PC gamers are accustomed to for a long time now..
You were the first one to mention Wasteland 2 in this thread, so that's why I'm asking.And as for bugs - just about every software contains bugs, not just games on PC.

I'm going to confess I never had money for the longest time so I dled New Vegas and it's DLC. New Vegas fell on its face story wise. The only thing that made up for it was the DLC which gave you a taste of that Fallout three simplicity. Honestly the only thing that makes fallout New Vegas bareable is the mods. I only now play it once I got the Fox anthromorphic character mod and a bunch of clothing mods and the Mosin Nagant, an AKM and and silenced Markrov. There's a reason why my fallout3 folder was 40gbs in size. Mods make those games worth it. I feel sorry for the console gamers they will never experience the joy of a brahmin blowing up raiders with its laser eyes.

I'm going to confess I never had money for the longest time so I dled New Vegas and it's DLC. New Vegas fell on its face story wise. The only thing that made up for it was the DLC which gave you a taste of that Fallout three simplicity. Honestly the only thing that makes fallout New Vegas bareable is the mods. I only now play it once I got the Fox anthromorphic character mod and a bunch of clothing mods and the Mosin Nagant, an AKM and and silenced Markrov. There's a reason why my fallout3 folder was 40gbs in size. Mods make those games worth it. I feel sorry for the console gamers they will never experience the joy of a brahmin blowing up raiders with its laser eyes.
I played Fallout 3 with dozens of mods too.

The way Bethesda has published it was just bad.

I'm glad to hear that NV might not be so great, I hear about how much more it is worthy of the franchise than Fallout 3 all the time.

I played Fallout 3 with dozens of mods too.

The way Bethesda has published it was just bad.

I'm glad to hear that NV might not be so great, I hear about how much more it is worthy of the franchise than Fallout 3 all the time.
From a gameplay mechanics standpoint it's an improvement. Weapons system is far superior. But the political faction system of NV makes it really lose its Apoc charm. You can't be evil in that game. Merchant's inventory disappear if they're killed. If you do something a faction doesn't like they get prissy and send people after you. You just feel like a pawn in a bullshit political world. There's no freedom in fallout NV and the world feels smaller despite being large. NV sucked in my opinion. Its a shame any cross compatibility mods to link Fallout 3 and NV were viewed as illegal and the multiplayer mod got shut down.. I can rant about NV for hours, but the thing I miss is Three dog calling my female harbinger of death an evil bitch on the radio. Thanks three dog. I try! <3

I enjoyed F:NV. I remember having more fun with F2, but NV was ok. It has the same problem as I've had with F1 and F2: it has many great scenes, but also a lot of filler content that's just not very interesting.

Same as ElPoco said earlier,

I wait between some months-one year and get it complete in a promo.

But I can see how difficult that would be to pull for kids.

And I'm saying "fuck 'em". The instant a developer or game series starts doing something that you disagree with stop thinking about them. Don't lament a game that you wanted to play, there are thousands more out there that you will enjoy just as much, put the ones that you can't play for idealogical reasons completely out of your mind. It isn't hard.
The problem I have with this is that I'm not only saying "f*** you" to those devs/studios/distributors but also to a social interaction I miss when my friends talk about games I'm not "able" to play.

Kids have to learn patience as early as possible.

It gets rewarded many times in life.

The problem I have with this is that I'm not only saying "f*** you" to those devs/studios/distributors but also to a social interaction I miss when my friends talk about games I'm not "able" to play.
Oh. Right. I forgot some people have friends. :(

It gets rewarded many times in life.
Agreed but...

While it is easier for us to deal with this, imagine with a teen? I doubt that lesson will come first over socializing and being able to talk about same stuff with your peers.

Never the less, kids watch and listen to a lot of stupid tv shows and music for the same reason.

It is almost a guaranteed success for companies to target propaganda at that very spot.

While it is easier for us to deal with this, imagine with a teen? I doubt that lesson will come first over socializing and being able to talk about same stuff with your peers.
Never the less, kids watch and listen to a lot of stupid tv shows and music for the same reason.

It is almost a guaranteed success for companies to target propaganda at that very spot.
When I was in school, we sat together in front of a PC and experienced the games together and talked about them even if only one kid had it,

this changed when we got older though. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, same here.

We also ocasionally went to each friend´s house at a time because each had a different computer with a different game (8-bit comps), so it was even more social.

Unfortunantly veeeeery few kids had a computer back at the time at all.

It certainly feels very weird these days seeing kids taking LOL and DOTA as hard addicts as they do. Hopefully that will teach them about addiction for later in life. :p  

Oh. Right. I forgot some people have friends. :(
Friends and others know not to expect me to respond like others.  As a kid it sucked, but a few years later I started taking pride in the fact that I thought about many decisions and opinions, and that I would act accordingly.  I may be "weird" but I stand my ground, and will share my reasons for doing what I do with those that are genuinely interested.  I still get called many things intended as derogatory, with one of the most amusing being "paranoid".

Actually, that's kind of a good point. If your friends are talking about a game and wondering why you aren't playing it, be honest: you don't agree with the way the company keeps making shit, or the way they're taking advantage of consumers, and are just as happy playing all these other games. Maybe you'll convince a few of your friends to stop letting big companies dictate what goes into mainstream media and slowly start a change.

Unfortunately many of my friends, even those that are very concerned about such things in other aspects of life, don't notice when it comes to computer (and game) related stuff.  They probably aren't all that knowledgeable, and are just happy when things are working.  Some that are knowledgeable are like me with regards to this topic, and others don't care, and just do what they want, including a lot of piracy.

Now I want to discuss this topic with someone I know whose life often seems to revolve around games.  I think she falls into the "IDGAF" category, but I want to know why, since I am pretty sure she spends a lot of money on games, when she pays for them.

Nah, they just need to temper their impatience with forgetfulness, that's how I manage to not spend all my money on crap.

How it works is, I notice that a game that I want has been released, so I toddle off to get my debit card and on the way forget not only what I wanted the card for but that I wanted the card in the first place.

IMG_20190508_075919.jpg.png

This thread highlights three interesting traits that I can't really think of a name for:
  1. Willingness to forego social interaction with a prominent group because their pass-times appear pointless (or destructive)
  2. Frustration at companies who's products are deliberately made worse than is technically practical
  3. Propensity to resent the weaknesses of a product (and buy it anyway), instead of searching for better alternatives.

Back