DLC-Mania

Klumpen

Run away! Run away!
https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZR6-u8OIJTE?feature=oembed

MONA-LISA-DLC.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arma 3

Last edited by a moderator:
True. You know who will get all Parts of the Game (bestbuy, gamestop)? Pirates ;)

Wanker. Microtransactions and all this micro statistic bullshit pee me off big time. They seek to manipulate people and pursue money first. Abhorrent! It is so fucking wrong to manipulate people and play with emotions etc. Nuff said!

They seek to manipulate people and pursue money first.
Well yeah, that's what companies do, they seek to make money.So long as people keep falling for it they'll keep doing it. Do what I did: refuse and move on. It's not like there isn't a huge amount of games coming out every day that you need to get strung up over what one company is doing. Ignore them.

I've never played an Assassin's Creed game and I never will. It don't bother me at all and it shouldn't bother you. Just say "I won't buy from this company" and stick to it. When enough people do that things'll change, and if they don't, like I said, hundreds of games are released every day, we don't need big name companies anymore.

I've never played an Assassin's Creed game and I never will. It don't bother me at all and it shouldn't bother you. Just say "I won't buy from this company" and stick to it. When enough people do that things'll change, and if they don't, like I said, hundreds of games are released every day, we don't need big name companies anymore.
I don't care about Assassin's Creed, what bothers me is, that the majority of customers (probably teenagers with no clue about the influence they have with their parents money) is paying for all this bs to happen and it's infecting the whole industry as standards, even indie games are strictly tied to online activation very often, are regionally priced, are made with DLC-splitting in mind from the beginning by now, etc... and it's getting worse every year.

I'm still miffed having to pass on Fallout: New Vegas because of such aspects as an example.

I've only played the first and I'm currently playing the second. They're nice for sightseeing. The first one was very repetitive, the second one manages to keep things fresh and interesting most of the time. Nothing extraordinary, but I'm having fun.

For the whole DLC mania, I just used to wait a few years for the games I want to play to drop under €5, now I wait a few more years for their complete editions with all DLC to drop under that price. The only exception is Crusader Kings II, where I wait for the interesting DLCs to drop below $1.5.

I don't think that the concept of DLC is bad, I think the problem with the execution, and that the good use of DLC are more the exception than the rule.

Just say "I won't buy from this company" and stick to it. When enough people do that things'll change, and if they don't, like I said, hundreds of games are released every day, we don't need big name companies anymore.
Quite true. It is remarkable how many people bitch about companies and subsequently don't vote with their wallet, the one thing that actually influences their policies.
E.g. ever since the rootkit scandal, Sony is on my blacklist. I will never willingly make a purchase from them again.

Well, unless they can convince me the company has drastically changed their policy.

In particular their "Consumer doesn't know what it is, why should they care?" attitude pissed me off.

These days, any form of DRM and/or always online requirements, micro-transactions, lack of Linux (or Wine) support, etc... are instant disqualifiers for me.

I'll just take my money elsewhere.

You could theoreticly still play the games and boykott DRM. If you want to avoid steam but play Valve games you can have a look at a certain pirate coast. And buy games that don't have DRM. So you won't lose anything but the companies with DRM will loose money and will maybe stop it.

I'm still miffed having to pass on Fallout: New Vegas because of such aspects as an example.
Don't be. Let it go. Let it all go. You'll feel better.So other people are wasting their money, big deal. Let them.

Literally hundreds of games every day. Daily. Hundreds. All this crap isn't infecting "the industry", it is infecting the small part of the industry which tends to get the most press which, unfortunately, is what a lot of people think of as "the whole industry". Not even close.

Without even trying I bet you can find a dozen new games from both indie devs and commercial publishers released in the past 24 hours, and in that dozen there's almost certainly going to be something with policies that you agree with that is enjoyable, and if not there's another dozen for you to look at tomorrow, or the day after, or the day after. And the best part of it is, once you start finding titles you like it'll start getting even easier to go back to the same sources and find other titles you like.

I'm not saying go full hipster, things are not bad because they become popular (I've been enjoying Skyrim for hundreds of hours now, there's nothing wrong with that), but the idea that people think they have to reach for the popular choices because "that's the industry" makes me extremely sad. If you don't like "the industry", then don't be part of it: you literally don't need it because the REAL industry is thousands of times larger than what most people think of as "the industry".

I support DRM the way Nintendo does it right now.

Hyrule Warriors did cost me 15 € extra and I get really a lot of content.

Also they release lots of free stuff.

I have no problem to pay little extra to get additional content that's worth it.

If I pay 10€ for 50% more content for Mario Kart It's totally fine as the original Discs contains as many Tracks as all previous Games did.

And they are still working to release that new content as it's only one for every 2-3 Months.

That's perfectly fine for me.

I won't support what Ubisoft and others do.

Holding back content and releasing it overpriced.

Don't be. Let it go. Let it all go. You'll feel better.
I can understand your point. The hard part is that there's a particular game you like that isn't available on your chosen platform.
There's a few small games I have on my desktop that I think would be great on the Pandora, but short of me (or somebody else) writing a clone from scratch, won't happen; even then clones aren't always as good. That Slay clone I ported, it was okay, but didn't feel as fun as the original.

Don't be. Let it go. Let it all go. You'll feel better.
So other people are wasting their money, big deal. Let them.

Literally hundreds of games every day. Daily. Hundreds. All this crap isn't infecting "the industry", it is infecting the small part of the industry which tends to get the most press which, unfortunately, is what a lot of people think of as "the whole industry". Not even close.

Without even trying I bet you can find a dozen new games from both indie devs and commercial publishers released in the past 24 hours, and in that dozen there's almost certainly going to be something with policies that you agree with that is enjoyable, and if not there's another dozen for you to look at tomorrow, or the day after, or the day after. And the best part of it is, once you start finding titles you like it'll start getting even easier to go back to the same sources and find other titles you like.

I'm not saying go full hipster, things are not bad because they become popular (I've been enjoying Skyrim for hundreds of hours now, there's nothing wrong with that), but the idea that people think they have to reach for the popular choices because "that's the industry" makes me extremely sad. If you don't like "the industry", then don't be part of it: you literally don't need it because the REAL industry is thousands of times larger than what most people think of as "the industry".
I never bought a game that is tied to Steam, was fooled once because I didn't find any hint at Amazon or elsewhere about the online activation of Unreal Tournament 3, I never bought a regionally priced game and if something obviously will get DLCs, I usually wait until there is a GOTY edition. Every game I bought in the last years (and I stopped for years before DRM free became a thing) was either indie or quite old and I didn't get Windows 7 because I didn't want to have any DRM in my OS either, which prevents me from using the 64bit of my processor and more than 4gb RAM for the games that would need it most - so yes, I always vote with my wallet and instead of pirating, I let the rest go, but it's not easy when your favourite series are infected all of a sudden like Fallout:NV, Wasteland 2 (which was even crowdfunded! ><) and Starcraft as some examples.

Yes, I'm glad that there are still devs with a conscience, but I get the feeling they become more rare every day and with GoG shitting on their former ideals (including only selling complete games and no DLCs...), there are few proper shops anymore either, it feels like an unstoppable epidemic of corporate agenda... and people reward it by paying billions.

Just getting into Elite: Dangerous here. It's awesome, and almost at a state where it could be called a remake of the original Frontier (It's already a remake of Elite).

DLC will contain things like planetary landings and FPS expansion campaigns. I intend to buy them all.

D.

The hard part is that there's a particular game you like
it's not easy when your favourite series
Perhaps I wasn't making myself clear. Check out gamespot, check out indiedb, check reddit, there are games literally being released all the time. I bet there was a game released between the time I started this response and when I hit the "post" button (probably never find it, but it's out there, somewhere). Most of them are indie games, a lot of them are going to suck, but so long as you're hung up on one particular series

Point is that these developers abandoned you. They took their toys and changed them into something you don't enjoy anymore. "You don't owe them anything. Stop thinking about them, that is it. You think it doesn't bother me that I don't know how Mass Effect ends? Because it doesn't, I literally don't care, EA has screwed up so much that I am more interested in not giving them money than in playing to the final game.

I've stopped buying from gog until they get their heads back where they belong. Think I will miss even a single release? Hell no. It's easy to just stop caring when someone janks you around like that, so don't worry about it. I'm not participating as actively in the Humble Bundle, no skin off my nose whether people accept the garbage. Find a source for games that line up with your philosophies (whatever they may be) and put the masses eager to part with their money out of your mind.

Perhaps I wasn't making myself clear
Yes, you were; I was suggesting that sometimes there are games you really like, even Indie titles, that you'd like to play on more than the developers are willing to support. I still support the makers of FTL, despite it won't run on my netbook due to the screen resolution, because it works great on my desktop, and it's a great game, and I know of nothing that's similar (that doesn't mean there aren't any). That said, I'd never never spend time ranting about how bad they are for not supporting my netbook etc.
Anyway, I guess I might have this option at some point ;)

I was suggesting that sometimes there are games you really like
And I'm saying "fuck 'em". The instant a developer or game series starts doing something that you disagree with stop thinking about them. Don't lament a game that you wanted to play, there are thousands more out there that you will enjoy just as much, put the ones that you can't play for idealogical reasons completely out of your mind. It isn't hard.

I never bought a game that is tied to Steam, was fooled once because I didn't find any hint at Amazon or elsewhere about the online activation of Unreal Tournament 3, I never bought a regionally priced game and if something obviously will get DLCs, I usually wait until there is a GOTY edition. Every game I bought in the last years (and I stopped for years before DRM free became a thing) was either indie or quite old and I didn't get Windows 7 because I didn't want to have any DRM in my OS either, which prevents me from using the 64bit of my processor and more than 4gb RAM for the games that would need it most - so yes, I always vote with my wallet and instead of pirating, I let the rest go, but it's not easy when your favourite series are infected all of a sudden like Fallout:NV, Wasteland 2 (which was even crowdfunded! ><) and Starcraft as some examples.
What is the problem with Wasteland 2 ?

Back