DisplayLink external DVI/VGA display on SuperZaxxon firmware: Request for assistance

hmc

EDIT 2013-12-10:

With current SuperZaxxon firmware, DisplayLink works nicely. Here is how:

1. Activate the xorg.conf.displaylink file: 

cd /etc/X11
sudo cp xorg.conf.displaylink xorg.conf

2. While Pandora is switched on and running, connect DisplayLink adapter. External monitor should turn green.

3. Log out. Now a login screen should be visible on the external monitor

4. Log in. Now the main Pandora desktop should be visible on the external monitor.

-----------------------

Hi guys,

notaz integrated udlfb support into a testing kernel now. Thanks for that!

That kernel and its modules can be downloaded here:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/11841-usb-otg-port-does-not-appear-to-be-working/#entry227697

After installing it (on a NAND installation) and rebooting, if I plug in the DisplayLink device, I get a green screen (good sign! The driver works! :) ).

Now I want to make X run on the DisplayLink display. 

So I modify xorg.conf similarly to  how I did in SL4P, using the instructions here:

http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects/OS/Slackware/Advanced_usage/USB_graphic#Step_3:_Adjust_.2Fetc.2FX11.2Fxorg.conf

After a reboot, I get the graphical login screen on the DisplayLink display. Good! 

However, whenever I try to login, I only get the same login screen over again.

So I assume the udlfb X driver is missing, which makes sense, because noone installed it yet ;-)

Under SL4P, the procedure to install this driver was this:

cd
rm -rf /tmp/build
mkdir /tmp/build
git clone http://git.plugable.com/webdav/xf-video-udlfb/
cd xf-video-udlfb

export CFLAGS="-DPANDORA -O2 -pipe -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp"
export CXXFLAGS="-DPANDORA -O2 -pipe -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp"

./autogen.sh
./configure --prefix=/usr --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc
make
make install DESTDIR=/tmp/build/
cd /tmp/build/
makepkg -c y /tmp/xf-video-udlfb-201211-arm-1.tgz
installpkg /tmp/xf-video-udlfb-*-arm-1.tgz

Since I don't have a crosscompiling setup, but only do onboard compiling, and since with the C/C++ devtools PND, ./autogen.sh already gives me an error (./autogen.sh: line 9: autoreconf: not found), could anyone assist me please and create that package for me?

I'd like to test, if it works, so that we know, if it makes sense that notaz includes that X driver in a future release and if there are more steps necessary to get full DisplayLink support in SuperZaxxon firmware.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
The recipes for xorg driver are already set up and waiting testing, if you wait a few days you'll have it in firmware update.

What's DisplayLink? This sounds like something I could really use!

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out what it is. This seems super useful, I hope it works out!

DisplayLink on Pandora is awesome.

It's full HD output via USB.

Already tried under Slackware.

Browsing FireFox is great.

I can also make my Presentations for university now on Pandora and show them with Pandora.

Yes, DisplayLink IS super useful.
With Slackware, I have built a complete "docking station" at home: A USB Hub, that has a 19" display (via DisplayLink), an external mouse and keyboard connected. So when I come home, I plug in my Pandora to power and USB and then have almost desktop-like computing experience.
Almost, because hotplugging is not (yet) possible. After connecting or disconnecting the display, you still need a reboot or at least a restart of the X server, or start of a second instance of the X server, in order to use the external display.

you might want to check the Slackware (SL4P) DisplayLink documentation.

On SUperZaxxon firmware, I hope that it will work similarly in future.

http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects/OS/Slackware/Advanced_usage/USB_graphic

Once the official SZ kernel contains DisplayLink support, SL4P kernel will also get this support by default, so neither on SZ nor on SL4P the first step in that documentation (enabling support by activating another kernel) will be necessary.

And maybe it makes sense to also add the xorg.conf modifications to the default SZ / SL4P distribution, so that it will be a matter of simple Plug and Play in future.

Or at least deliver a second xorg.conf, that contains the stuff necessary to use DisplayLink, so the user can activate that DisplayLink-enabled xorg.conf with a simple copy comand.

Note:
"Plug and Play" above does not mean "Hotplug". Hotplug is still an issue, and may not be possible at all with currently delivered X system.

http://superuser.com/questions/502359/is-it-possible-to-have-displaylink-usb-display-hotplugging-with-xorg-1-13-on-ker

notaz, should the X driver be included in the most recent 1.54RC with applied OS updates using the updater?
I just did that and tested again.
This time, I don't even get the login screen on the external display, but the screen remains green (so the udlfb driver module works, but X does not access the external display at all, although the xorg.conf tells him to do so).

I also cannot start a new instance of X using "startx" here, as I can in SL4P.
It says "Fatal server error: Server is already active for display 0".

Bumping that topic - am very interested by the displaylink for SuperZaxxon - especially now that we have LibreOffice available !

Any hope to have this working for the final verison of 1.54 ?

In general it seems to work (I get the green screen when plugging in DisplayLink on a stock SZ1.54RC install, which is a good sign.)

However, I have not solved the configuration issues yet. So far I'm not able to get an X server to display on the extrnal screen.

But I'll look deeper into this on the weekend.

Yes.
However, in SZ I get a fatal error that there is already an X server running on display XY (see above. Online with Tapatalk now, so it's difficult for me to scan the history while writing).

Not yet, but this will be the first thing to try, as I guess this will avoid that fatal error and at least shows, if the X server can use the udl driver at all.

Got it working! 

Although I am not able to slide a window to another screen and the icon box only works when there is a window open in the pandora screen... Also the bar doesn't appear once you log in and you have to tell it in xfce settings to use the other screen...

Here is a pic of it working.

EDIT: here's my xorg.conf 

Code:
# Minimal xorg.conf for the OpenPandora - Most things are setup by HAL and FDI's.

Section "Module"
	Load		"extmod"
	Load		"dbe"
	Disable		"glx"
	Disable		"dri"
	Load		"dri2"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"DefaultLayout"
	Screen		0	"DisplayLinkScreen"
	Screen		1	"Screen0" Below "DisplayLinkScreen"
#	Option		"Xinerama" "on" #Not working on superzaxxon
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Screen0"
	Device		"OMAPFB"
	Monitor		"Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth	16
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	16
		Modes	"800x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Monitor0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"OMAPFB"
	Driver		"omapfb"
EndSection                                              

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"FBDEV"
	Driver		"fbdev"
	Option		"ShadowFB"		"false"
EndSection   

Section "Files"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Speedo"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
EndSection

Section "Device"
       Identifier      "DisplayLinkDevice"
       Driver          "fbdev"
       BusID           "USB"               # needed to use multiple DisplayLink devices 
       Option          "fbdev" "/dev/fb3"  # change to whatever device you want to use
#      Option          "rotate" "CCW"      # uncomment for rotation
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
       Identifier      "DisplayLinkMonitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
       Identifier      "DisplayLinkScreen"
       Device          "DisplayLinkDevice"
       Monitor         "DisplayLinkMonitor"
       DefaultDepth    16
EndSection