DisplayLink external DVI/VGA display on SuperZaxxon firmware: Request for assistance

Dvi is the best option you have.

It can give you digital and analog signals.

Simply buy the adapter for 3$ from Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmkay, it works. But booting again gives me a login screen where there was none before, some terminal message reading "tty3 (...)" which displays only shortly, then login screen again.

Is this referring to the screen that is, since USB host is deactivated by default, not found any more?

How do I get back to normal? Edit: How do I leave the login screen to terminal? Nevermind, boot into CL mode :D

EDIT: Okay, Boot to CLI, revert xorg.conf changes, "sudo startx -- :0" and I'm good

Edit: DL Adapter doesn't work with my USB hub. That sucks.

More edit: This keeps coming back after reboots. When I thought I was good the cursor wouldn't move. Where do I have to look to get this reverted completely?

And still more: .None of the buttons work when starting x from the CL, going to reflash, lack of patience.

Thats the way I start my adapter:

- Start USB-Host

- Connect the adapter, the VGA-monitor shows a green screen

- Log out

- a new login-screen appears on the VGA-Monitor

It works with my USB-Hub, too, but didnt show the panel. Dont know why.

How could I get a bigger screen? It shows only 1024x768 here.

Thanks for clarifying here, too, Palmiga - I just read your reply on gp2x.de :)

I wonder if you can set the resolution in the xorg.conf just like for the internal screen, it says 800x480 in the file somewhere.

Great to see such progress since I lastly tested with my system.

My comments:

- notaz, before adding Takedown's xorg.conf to the firmware, please let's try to find out, why the Xinerama option doesn't work on SZ. It does on SL4P, and it can make things much more comfortable I think, as this allows for extended desktop as opposed to an own desktop (probably with an own instance of X) on each screen.
Does anyone have an idea, why it works on SL4P but doesn't on SZ?

- kuru, your adapter from Pollin might not work. There are different chipsets used. We only support the DisplayLink chipset now, and I don't see any mention about what chipset is used there. My recommendation is to directly search for "DisplayLink" on Amazon or Ebay and only use adpaters that are found using that search word. Then it's quite sure that the adapter will work.
Oh, I see, in a post just a few hours later you say it works. So you did not order it from Pollin but directly bought it there? Do you live near Pfoerring? I do, so then let's meet and share experiences. :-D

- kuru, adapter not working on a hub is not a general problem. Maybe the adapter draws too much power? Is it a powered hub? I have a DL adapter working un an unpowered hub, together with an external mouse and keyboard.

- Anyone here with enough knowledge to help optimizing the setup? ideally with real hotplug of course, although this might not be possible with the used version of X. But maybe we can have some semi-hotplug, e.g. with an automated restart of X (after user confirmation) on the other screen after connecting / disconnecting the DL adapter.

So whats the recommended bit of hardware to pick up then?  The idea of using my Pandora with a big screen and so on is just too enticing ..

That looks bloody awesome. I will drive to the shop and buy one of those adapters today. 

Does anybody have a USB hub and two of those adapters!? 

Edit: Will this one work?

https://www.pollin.de/shop/dt/MDk4OTcyOTk-/Computer_und_Zubehoer/Multimedia/Audio_Video_TV_Karten/USB_zu_DVI_HDMI_Adapterkabel.html

Edit: Nevermind, it will have to, just bought it. Serious reconsideration of flatscreen ditribution as well as desk space management ongoing :D
Take a look at http://www.displaylink.com/shop/adapters for a compatible adapter.

Thanks for clarifying here, too, Palmiga - I just read your reply on gp2x.de :)

I wonder if you can set the resolution in the xorg.conf just like for the internal screen, it says 800x480 in the file somewhere.
Thanx for the tip, but it didnt work.

I try

Section "Screen"
Identifier "DisplayLinkScreen"
Device "DisplayLinkDevice"
Monitor "DisplayLinkMonitor"
DefaultDepth 16
Modes "1280x1024"
EndSection

but it didnt work and the Pandora wont start anymore. :wacko:

Manually add the subsection to enable custom resolution modes? 
Like so on this page?  

Code:
SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes      "1400x900" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection

Manually add the subsection to enable custom resolution modes? 

Like so on this page?  

SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1400x900" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
This works again with only 1024x768, but only after I wrote

HorizSync 31-82
Vertrefresh 60-75
in section "Monitor" for the Displaylinkmonitor.

Without this my TFT told me "wrong frequency".

Well, but only 1024x768 again. :(

Is there no way to make it automatically detect which Display is connected.

On Slackware if I use  the Full HD Munitor I get full HD and if I connect it to VGA Projector I get VGA.

Finally posting this on the full HD TV.

:) :)

Replaced default xorg.conf with the one from Tekedown.

I can use both screens (Pandor and TV)

Both screens have all desktop icons.

I can move the moth onto both screens.

However I can't grab a window and drag it to the other screen.

Pannel is only shown on the big screen (same on Slackware and desn't matter).

The big screen is too big.

High and with.

My DisplayLink device can show resolution little higher than 1280 x 1920.

Maybe it wants to display this higher resolution on only a Full HD screen.

Here the auto detect would be good.

It goes over the screen on every side of the screen, so the picture is centered but too big.

Rest looks good so far.

Back